Streamlight Stinger Switch Replacement

JAS

I have a well used Streamlight Stinger that is my "everyday driver". The switch needs to be replaced. Does anybody here happen to know if Batteries Plus still does free switch replacements on these?

aznsx

I know nothing about B+, but if it were mine, I'd prefer to get it to a SL authorized service location. If Rosemount is in MN, I think there's one about 30 min. from there.

Owen

Are you talking about the original Stinger?
If so, it's a 2 minute job IF you can get a replacement switch.

Quoting myself from 19yrs ago:
"Got it out.
When you look at the light with the reflector removed, and switch pointing up, there are two "ears", for lack of a better word, that stick out toward you on the left and right. They both have a slot in them that you can pry on with a screwdriver. They have to be pried in a little, because they are overlapped by the threads inside the head. By putting the battery in, and pushing on it while prying in first one ear, then the other, the whole assembly started moving out. It got stuck part of the way out, but I stuck a screwdriver in the switch hole, and pried it the rest of the way out. I don't know what kind of plastic the switch assembly is made of. It's hard, and not very flexible, so I was afraid of cracking it, but it came through ok, and popped right back in when I was done.
Getting up the guts to pry on it was alot harder than actually doing it."

JAS

Are you talking about the original Stinger?
If so, it's a 2 minute job IF you can get a replacement switch.

Quoting myself from 19yrs ago:
"Got it out.
When you look at the light with the reflector removed, and switch pointing up, there are two "ears", for lack of a better word, that stick out toward you on the left and right. They both have a slot in them that you can pry on with a screwdriver. They have to be pried in a little, because they are overlapped by the threads inside the head. By putting the battery in, and pushing on it while prying in first one ear, then the other, the whole assembly started moving out. It got stuck part of the way out, but I stuck a screwdriver in the switch hole, and pried it the rest of the way out. I don't know what kind of plastic the switch assembly is made of. It's hard, and not very flexible, so I was afraid of cracking it, but it came through ok, and popped right back in when I was done.
Getting up the guts to pry on it was alot harder than actually doing it."

Yes, it is a pretty old, original Stinger that I converted to LED years ago. It looks terrible, but is a functional light.

I did call Streichers out in Plymouth MN. They wouldn't commit, on the telephone, whether they repair would be free. I may head over there some day after work or some rainy Saturday. The actual value of the light is so low, that I would opt for a free or very inexpensive switch replacement, but I certainly wouldn't want to spend much money on it. I can pretty much cannibalize the light be taking the battery stick out of it and using it in my newer OEM LED Streamlight Stinger. Both are using pretty new NiMH battery sticks.

So, the switches are hard to come by now?

https://www.streichers.com/

bykfixer

Supporter
I used to use 'flashlightdistributor.com' to obtain parts for old Streamlights but……they went and changed things around and I can't make heads or tails from them anymore so I typed "streamlight parts" in my search engine and found 'eweb.streamlight.com' where to the right you see a place for email and password at the top. To the left of that you see a phrase saying if you just want to browse click here.
From there you'll see a bunch of Streamlight models to choose from. Click on Stinger series. Then click on Stinger. All the way at the bottom you'll see part # 75140. To the left you'll see "also fits". Anyway, the part is $12.95. I suppose you have to sign up to buy from them, but it's a great source for parts.

And watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg-ZpsaBHT4

aznsx

If you were interested in buying the part(s), I don't think you'd have much trouble finding Streamlight parts in general. I believe it's not unusual for good SL distributors to sell parts. When I checked Brightguy once for something, I believe they had some parts like switches, etc. The single time I've ever needed a SL part (when I cooked the window / lens on a Scorpion), I believe the part I needed came from SWPS.

EDIT: That 'free' part is another matter entirely.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Supporter
Definitely go with a Streamlight distributor like Bright Guy, eCops or Battery Junction where you know the parts are genuine where at Amazon or eBay……it's a 50/50 it isn't a fake.
The place I mentioned on post 6 is also genuine Streamlight parts.