Student Loan "Relief"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
(Despite a nagging little voice in the back of my mind saying, "don't respond", I shall one last time. So go ahead and get your last word ready.) Name calling? Merely apt descriptors. Firstly, it's the work of Republicans that got us here. Secondly, the three that Mr. Trump pushed into the position have demonstrated an inability to actually read precedent. With very few exceptions do their opinions meet muster of serious legal experts.

Of the many things that conservatives, Republicans, Trump-worshipers get wrong is this almost religious zeal that they are on the right side of history. But if history were actually studied (banning books won't help), it doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to see that this group of individuals is on the wrong side of history. Without taking the time and effort to teach what would be a multi-semester class on the intricacies (of which I would be wasting my time because no one in the cult would listen anyway), I can say that one of the main issues is that the movement has been long in the making. There is a romantic worship of an imagined past that never actually existed, "the good old days". It's Jim Crow coming back with a vengeance. It's a more than passing admiration of Herr Adolf and Co., a close study of Bernays. Misinformation turned into an art form. It's anti-intellectualism as a religion. It isn't liberal vs. conservative. It's progressive vs. regressive. The current party isn't trying to take us back to the 1950s, it's trying to take us back to the 1850s. As I asked the OP and received no response (because clearly their post was to create a flame war for their amusement), what is it that the so called Republican Party and its voters so terrified of? I think I can sum it up in one word, "change". Is change for the better guaranteed? No, of course not. But repeating the way that didn't work the first couple of hundred of years didn't work, what makes the modern GOP think that tweaking a few details is going to make it work in the 21st century? You know the saying about repeating the same action, expecting different results, right? And if we aren't even working with the same facts, then how can we even have a civil discourse? That has not really happened in modern history before. Sure different politicians could argue the merits of one another's stances. But never before did they not agree to facts. So until we can agree to facts, this, like many other discussions (online and in Congress) are pointless.

Well, this is where I get off of this merry-go-round of willful ignorance. Because those that refuse to learn from the past are doomed to repeat its mistakes (paraphrasing). I maintain that you and other "regressives" are wrong-headed, and could (if desired) give countless modern examples of how more progressive policies are not only workable, but beneficial to all. But I would be wasting my time. They would just pull the lever with the R next to it for spite in the next election. This gives me very little hope for a good future for my daughter. And it frankly saddens me greatly that on the eave of our 247th anniversary of our Declaration of Independence , so many are actively trying to push our country backwards, apparently fearing change. Jefferson and company were the antithesis to this. They were doing something that had never before been attempted and was doomed to fail, for all they knew. My ancestors had been here in the New World for nearly 200 years by that point. I shudder to think how they would react to the current animosity between Americans.

With that, I wish you all a Happy Independence Day, for we are all Americans, despite party affiliation (of which I have none, for the record (Washington warned against them for this very reason)). There are some of us that still remember that. I hope we all reflect on that on Tuesday.

Good night to all
You pretty much summed up exactly what today's GOP is about. I started out as a Republican during the Reagan years. Today's GOP is completely unrecognizable compared to the party that existed back then. At one time they were the party of ideas. Now they're the antithesis of that.
P.S. I forgot to say that it is my sincere hope that there will be a boycott of repayments. If enough Americans do not repay, it will send a very clear message to servicers and to politicians that this legislation from the bench will not be tolerated. It would only work if enough people do it though. Boycotting or striking is a long existing form of peaceful protest. Even Mahatma Gandhi advocated for it. Besides, millions of Americans won't have the option of repaying anyway.
Same here. The real reason this even went to court was because the predatory loan collection companies were afraid of seeing their gravy train end. Any other reason given is just smoke and mirrors. It's all about the money.

As you said, let them find another demographic to suck dry. Boycotting repayments will have the same effect on them as loan cancellation would have. While we're at it, let's file a lawsuit on the legality of the fees they charge. Read any student loan promissory note. In most cases collection fees are capped at 20% of principal*. Once the 20% is added, nobody can add another dime. And the interest is usually calculated based on the outstanding principal according to the promissory note. Collection companies have added fees which are multiples of the original principal, then capitalized the entire amount so it was subject to interest. I'd love to see a ruling which upholds that this is a violation of the contract, and also requires the collection companies to refund the excess collection fees. Chances are great they wouldn't have enough money to do that, but the end result would be they go bankrupt and are permanently out of business. Good enough for me. At least they wouldn't be able to scam anyone else.

*Even 20% collection fees is an obscenity considering that most of those who go into default do so due to inability to pay, not unwillingness to pay. I certainly can see the point of collection fees as punishment for anyone making good money but not repaying their loans. For everyone else though, it makes no sense. The system punishes people for being poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.