Suggestion for Dad's day 2xAA with focus ring

shodid

Newly Enlightened
Dad lost his favorite flashlight and cannot tell what manufacturer/model it was, but he described the features.
  • 2x AA
  • Focus ring
  • Brightness levels

He uses it mainly for walking to the mailbox at the end of a long driveway. When in the backyard he bumps up the brightness to see what creatures are rustling around in the woods so maybe something that performs out to 75 yards which is why he likes to focus the beam.

I know this will not be a popular choice here and hence I'm having trouble even finding good options in this form, but this is for pops. I've tried convincing to use a better cell, but he's stuck on his AA so here we are.

If anyone has help/suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I picked up the FD20 by fenix a little over a month ago and its got a real nice focus to the beam, and good mode spacing

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are not many good focusing flashlights out there, in part because flashlights these days have enough power and the beams are sufficiently well-controlled that a mix of a hotspot for distance and spill for up close serves pretty well.

Fenix's FD series optical design is different than most focusing flashlights, and seems to produce a nice beam with few artifacts (based on beamshots. I don't own any).

I suppose he may be set in his ways and really want a zoomie, but if not, the Lumintop Tool 25 is a fixed focus 2xAAA light with 4 modes controlled by the tailswitch. The Thrunite Archer 2A also has 4 modes, and the tailswitch turns it on or off, while a side button changes modes. Some people may find one or the other more intuitive.

AA's are fine. If he really wanted to focus on power density, then maybe it would be worth talking more about lithium ion. My only input is also get him a set of NiMH batteries and a charger, unless he's the type of person who would forget and throw them out like disposables.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a huge fan of 2AA lights but not of zoomies or of Coast. Just picked up a Fenix E20v2.0 which is a very nice light. A bit floodier than my Quark QK2A Mk iii and the low cri sst-20 has a bit of a cool and green tint. Otherwise its very nice. Always comes on in lowest mode so thats either good or bad. The Quark's UI is actually a pretty good compromise between simplicity and variety.

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
You might consider this:
https://www.dorcy.com/shop-now/flashlights/zoom-focus-usb-rechargeable-flashlight

It isn't AA but instead has a built-in li-ion and a micro-USB port for charging. It is a zoomie though! I have had one for about a year and it seems like a nice flashlight. IIRC the tail cap turns red (when the light is on) to show you it's time to charge it. I see Dorcy's website is offering a coupon code making it less than $20 shipped so it's considerably cheaper than the Fenix.