Sunglasses Recommendation?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
My, for a biker guy you're awfully PC... anyway, in addition to my cell phone, also things like the screen of my GPS and that of my Sirius radio receiver, when I had an add-on unit. Per another reply, I don't find that polarizing cuts down or through glare- gray or brown lenses do however. Polarized lenses are great when looking into water, as in lakes or streams. Not a frequent driving chore.

Sunglass lenses are made of either glass or plastic. Plastic lenses are typically made from acrylic, polycarbonate, CR-39 or polyurethane. Glass lenses have the best optical clarity and scratch resistance, but are heavier than plastic lenses. Glass lenses can also shatter or break on impact. Plastic lenses are lighter and shatter-resistant, but are more prone to scratching. Polycarbonate plastic lenses are the lightest, and are also almost shatterproof, making them good for impact protection. CR-39 is the most common plastic lens, due to low weight, high scratch resistance, and low transparency for ultraviolet and infrared radiation.

My driving glasses and my sunglasses are both tinted grey but my fishing glasses are tinted a yellowish brown ... I prefer the grey for driving and normal sun use as they don't alter the colours ... I used to use the Varilux lenses all the time but they don't change intensity as quick as I would like , so I will now stick to using the polarised lenses for driving and general sun use ... Driving into the sun is so much easier with polarised lenses that I feel that they are an essential item to be kept in the car ... The Aviator style is kept in my car and my other slightly smaller pair is for everyday bright conditions.

I consider the problem with liquid crystal displays to be of minimal importance when wearing polarising glasses ... It does exist but I am not at all bothered by it.

I just like the lighter weight and better impact resistance of the plastic lenses and in about 25 years of use I have never had a scratch on my lenses ... I am very careful with the cleaning of the lenses and I do have two pairs of Varifocal polarised sunglasses plus two pairs of non-tinted Varifocals all to my latest prescription ... It helps having a Daughter who works in an Opticians Shop.

RonReagan

Newly Enlightened
I use RayBan 3025 58 Polarized Aviators for driving and ICE NARO ones for shooting and other sports. The NARO's are great since the wraparound the corner of you eye a little bit to stop any debris. They are ANSI rated and Army approved, but are polycarbonate. Anyways, RayBan uses glass in a lot of their shades and you can look at ones that suit you on their site. Great recommendations inthis thread so far.

Last edited: