Surefire Aviator (2017) Low Flicker

I just picked up a NIB Aviator with red auxiliary. I'm loving the ingenuity of how the head was designed to switch between emitters. However, I've noticed a flicker at low levels for both the white and red. It's not patterned and seems random so I thought my hand was shaking when holding it. It after placing on a table, the stutter in the low beam is still noticeable.

I've Googled this issue and there is mention on this forum and Reddit but without much detail. Anyone else experience this?

Video

Yes, Amber and YG. And I had a few samples in my hand of each.
Thanks for your reply. From the few pages I've seen, I'm getting the feeling it might be a widespread issue? I've already contacted SureFire about it, pending a response.

Have you sought a replacement from SureFire? If so, have the replacements been better?

I wonder if later production models may have a revision. Some have said their light started out ok, but later developed the flicker.

michaex

Enlightened
@scalpel_ninja I haven't. And I've had only Amber and YG colors, no experience with others. I will give Red a try though if I catch one :)

I believe that some people are more bothered by it, especially if one is looking for it. Speaking from experience!

elzilcho

Enlightened
Yes, YG. It didn't do it initially but then started at some point.

Without knowing whether SF has fixed the problem in newer units, I haven't bothered to contact them. Right now it just sounds like a couple extra errands to ship it out and retrieve the replacement for no gain.

What's interesting is that I haven't seen any reports of this problem happening with the Vampire versions, so I don't know if those don't suffer from the issue or if the owners just haven't noticed/posted it.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until recently, I had a red, amber, and YG. Red and amber were the earlier versions where you had to pull on the head and twist to change modes. The YG was the newer one where you didn't have to pull and twist. Just twist.

None of the ones I had exhibited the flickering that you mentioned. I do recall something about the earlier versions had some issue and SureFire fixed them under warranty, but I don't really remember what the issues were specifically.

Well just an update on this. I got the light back and it still flickers. The tech notes said "the problem was not found and the light works fine." The serial number on the head is still the same. I've reached out again but I'm kinda lost as to what to do. It seems the just glanced at it and tossed it back into the mail.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
How are you liking this light otherwise?

Ive been tempted to purchase this light a few times, but reading about these problems kinda turned me off of it.

How are you liking this light otherwise?

Ive been tempted to purchase this light a few times, but reading about these problems kinda turned me off of it.
I really like it. I'm carrying it now on a trip and having the low white and red on a dark plane was really useful to locate items in my carry on and walk to the restroom without disturbing others and preserving night vision.

Actually I forgot to update this thread again. I ended up going in person to SureFire and the tech met me at the door. He swapped the head out for others that were on premises and we found one that works well. There is still a slight flicker on low, but goes away within a few second. I find the flicker is there when the light is cold, so could be a thermal expansion issue. The only concern I had was that we had to go through four different heads and tail caps before a good one was found. Definitely a great concept, but QC could be better.

I don't want to sound too negative or bash SF, but after reading this saga, I think that's quite an understatement.
I hear ya. I'm fortunate to be relatively close to SureFire so I can just email them and pop in to address most issues.

The Aviator is an excellent light. If they can nail down the QC and drop the MSRP to $200 or less, they'll really have a winner IMO.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I really like it. I'm carrying it now on a trip and having the low white and red on a dark plane was really useful to locate items in my carry on and walk to the restroom without disturbing others and preserving night vision.

Thats good to hear. Are you using primaries or rechargeables?

I love the concept behind the light. Do you know if the lower levels use pwm?

Thats good to hear. Are you using primaries or rechargeables?

I love the concept behind the light. Do you know if the lower levels use pwm?
I'm using primaries. AFAIK, the light cannot tolerate the higher voltage of 16340s, but I could be wrong. No idea of PWM is used, but very likely.

That flickering was discussed in 2017 when the Aviators were released. The common point was some were having this problem some not...
Yes, I saw that poll on this forum. However it just kept a tally of who did or did not have it. I didn't see any further follow up on if there were any revisions. Looks like there wasn't any.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like there wasn't any
THIS is the primary, salient point which neutral observers (which is what I am) must come to terms with. I hate to use the word 'inexcusable', but I'm going to anyway. I work in the electronics industry on the 'other side of the fence', and I know what 'best practices' are, so that leaves me with little choice but to use that word. I take no joy in this - believe me. I'm in fact pretty sad about it:-(