Surefire CR123 leaked in Eagletac light?

airwolf41

Newly Enlightened
I have used surefire primary CR123's in my edc/duty lights and weapon optics for over 20 years without an issue.

I just noticed my Eagletac D25 single cell light was not working. When I checked the battery, it was covered in this light brown substance that is the consitency of syrup.

My main concern is how toxic is this? Should I just throw the light out? I did a search and could not find anything on how dangerous the leaked substance is.

I emailed surefire a couple days ago and I'm waiting to hear back.

I must be naive, but I did not know lithium CR123's could leak. This light has not been exposed to any extreme temperatures or conditions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A common misconception is all alkalines leak and no lithiums leak.

Truth is alkalines have a bad track record and lithiums a good track record, but not every alkaline leaks and not every lithium doesn't leak.

airwolf41

Newly Enlightened
A common misconception is all alkalines leak and no lithiums leak.

Truth is alkalines have a bad track record and lithiums a good track record, but not every alkaline leaks and not every lithium doesn't leak.

I guess it's saying its water soluable, but not sure how to get it out of the light without damaging the electronics.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have had one lithium battery leak in all my years with lights. And that was sent to me in a light I bought. Have had dozens and dozens of Alkalines leak. Probably hundreds. Lithium's can leak but it's a thousand to one.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or any tarnish remover. Actually I use a product called Tarn-X to clean oxidised metal like flashlight parts.
You can get Tarn-X and long q-tips at WalMart.

Everybody here reccomends de-oxit.

The Tarn-X likely removes most oxidation, and that would get something working again - good to know (if it's fairly safe for most plastics, etc.).

The Deoxit however does the rest of the job of inhibiting future oxidation, and also providing some lubricity - which is good for switch contacts and other connections which involve movement.

airwolf41

Newly Enlightened
This was the response I got from Surefire. Nonetheless, I'm quite confused since posts on here say they can leak but it's rare.

There was likely some form of moisture that entered the product since there is no liquid inside the surefire batteries. There is no toxic compound in the cathode, which determines the capacity and voltage of the battery and is the source of the lithium ions. The anode enables the electric current to flow through an external circuit, and when the battery is charged, lithium ions are stored in the anode. The electrolyte is formed of salts, solvents, and additives and serves as the conduit of lithium ions between the cathode and anode. Finally, the separator is the physical barrier that keeps the cathode and anode apart. I am willing to send a courtesy pair of batteries to replace the damaged ones.

As for the flashlight, you would need to seek out the original manufacture for any repairs if the product is no longer working.

As for the batteries, I will send out a pair like mentioned earlier on sales order 6659916.

Thank you,

Mark A. Nuques III
Technical Support
SUREFIRE, LLC
17680 Newhope St., Suite B I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 800-828-8809 F 714-545-9537

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm no chemist don't even play one on tv but, I'm thinking all the solid stuff can turn into a liquid.