Surefire G2 with Q5 led drop-in?

sbninja

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I presently have a surefire 6P with a Q5 led drop-in. I have it mounted on one of my AR-15's. I am thinking about getting one of the surefire G2 nitrolon to replace it- to save weight. -I would want to install the Q5 led drop-in in it

Would this be a problem? Thanks

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
The general concensus is that the Nitrolon heads on the standard G2 aren't up to the task of dissipating the heat generated by modern LED P60-style dropins. You can use it, but it might not last too long if the thermal management of the dropin is sub-par. Most will say you need an aluminumm head to run an LED dropin. You can get a Solarforce or G&P or some other 6P knockoff bezel to install. Lighthound carries them, with a variety of bezel ring options (smooth, crenelated, etc).

I personally think there isn't much thermal contact area in the head to have it really make a difference either way, and I have indeed run LED dropins in all-nylon hosts before. I don't run them for a very long time, usually just in short bursts, which is likely why they haven't broken yet.

Lighthound links:
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...--No-Teeth--Black-Type-2-Anodized_p_2631.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...ated-bezel--Black-Type-2-Anodized_p_1628.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthoun...ther-lights--Stainless-Steel-Bezel_p_986.html

lightinsky

Enlightened
Run it and enjoy it. Drop ins these days are fairly easy to find and cheap enough were if one dies out or burns out you can always get another. I have a 6P with a Solarforce Q5 in it and it is great. I also have a G2 with a P4 in it and run it for short bursts of 10 minutes or less. I have a G2L aluminum head but prefer the all nitrolin look and feel especially in New Englands cold winters. Good luck but whatever you decide enjoy lots of white light.

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I presently have a surefire 6P with a Q5 led drop-in. I have it mounted on one of my AR-15's. I am thinking about getting one of the surefire G2 nitrolon to replace it- to save weight. -I would want to install the Q5 led drop-in in it

Would this be a problem? Thanks

No problem since you won't be using it continuously for more than 5 minutes as a gun light. May I suggest to buy a brighter R2 drop in instead of the Q5 unless you are particular about the color tint. Good luck! :)

sbninja

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! I think I will go for the G2 - Being as it is a gun light - for use in home defense scenarios, It shouldn't be on for any real length of time.

As far as the R2 drop in, I have one. I bought two Q5's and one R2 - around spring time last year. I really cannot tell any brightness difference between the Q5 and the R2 - only a slight color difference. I bought these of of ebay, spring of last year. Are the Newer R2's brighter? Maybe I just got a mislabled Q5 with an R2 label?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks guys! I think I will go for the G2 - Being as it is a gun light - for use in home defense scenarios, It shouldn't be on for any real length of time.

As far as the R2 drop in, I have one. I bought two Q5's and one R2 - around spring time last year. I really cannot tell any brightness difference between the Q5 and the R2 - only a slight color difference. I bought these of of ebay, spring of last year. Are the Newer R2's brighter? Maybe I just got a mislabled Q5 with an R2 label?

Theres only a ~7% difference between the two BINs. IMHO what matters more is the current level driving the LED. FWIW, I have a lower BIN XR-E (either a P4 or Q2) direct driven off an 18650 :devil: and ceiling bounce comparing, its just a hair dimmer than my R2 running at 1350mah.

Last edited:

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened

One can only see that the R2 is brighter than the Q5 if one has both drop ins ON side by side driven at the same current. If the Q5 is driven at 1.4 A and the R2 at 900 mA, the Q5 will even be brighter when compared side by side.

It's good you got spare a R2 and Q5 drop ins to choose from. That way both your 6P and G2 have bright LED drop ins, with a spare drop in to boot! :)