Surefire G3, 200 lumens for around $60!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Flux said:
Is it possible to run something like that on recheargables??

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a C3 in which I reamed out the inside to take two 18500 Li-Ion cells at 1200mAH each. Works better than using Surefire 123's because of the Li-Ion's extremely flat discharge. It's just as white as fresh 123's and stays whiter during most of the runtime. Of course, I never take the Li-Ion's below 3V. Been using it this way for a month now and am *extremely* pleased.

Question: does anyone know how much the P91 draw in ampere's? I'm tempted to try running my setup with the P91's but I want to make sure I don't exceed 1C from the Li-Ion's.

CM

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Brock's site, it draws 2.3 amps at 6.3 volts.... a super high load (at least for me)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Copia Lith Ions, prolly 15 mins of nice white light? other 15 mins of possible battery damaging yellowing light?

Gotta time your runs very carefully...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it will work since Li-Ions can be safely discharged continuously at 2C. I'm gonna have to give it a try. The copias are 1000mAH and the ones I'm using are 1200mAH so I should get about 15-20 minutes hopefully, almost the same as using 123's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd, you're right about yellowing light damaging the bulb but my bigger concern is overdischarging the Li-Ion's. Luckily they are rechargeable so I just top off whenever the voltage gets close to 3V. BTW thanks for pointing me to Brocks site. I knew it was around here somewhere but my memory is not working very well. (kids, age, you know the drill)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just so you know,
That's my photo of the G2-BK with A19.
It's an old style A19 which works rather then the new style which doesn't.

email me if you would like photos of the old and new A19's side by side.

Al

Blikbok

Enlightened
CM:
What diameter was needed for the C3 to accomodate the full-size (18mm?) Li-Ions?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blikbok,

Depends on the exact Li -ion cell that you get. Mine was 18mm exactly so I had to ream it out a bit larger, maybe half a mm so that the cells would slip right in without binding. Took about 45 minutes with a Dreml tool but the results were well worth it. I need another C3 to mod so it can host a P91 lamp assembly permanently. Li-Ion's are the way to go if you know what you're doing.

CM

moeman

Enlightened
Question!!!???????

hello,
i ordered everything on the list and the B65 isn't a battery adapter,
it is a rechargable battery to convert the G2 over to rechargable.
i did a search on surefire's site for a battery adapter and it came back with Z29.
is this the right part?
thanks,
chris

Blikbok

Enlightened
Re: thank you

CM: I have a pair of C3-HA's that I'm planning on making into rechargeables, one 105 lumen, one 200 lumen.

I am very interested in hearing if your cells will run the P91. Lemlux said the 1000mAh Copias weren't strong enough. Please let us know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Cheaper 200 lumens

I've noticed the UKE SL6 supposedly gives 200 lumens for $35.95. Of course with six C cells it's a much heavier light (20 ounces with batteries) than your Surefire mod, but you do get several hours of runtime. I think I might buy one.

moeman

Enlightened
Re: Cheaper 200 lumens

just got the last of the supplies today,
cut down the battery spacer and assembled it and...
works great!!
thanks for the tip!
chris

zumlin

Enlightened
Re: Cheaper 200 lumens

I got my AN14 and P91 today as well as a B270 lens from flashlightlens.com, I made a spacer myself and assembled it, all it needs now is a clickie switch to be perfect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif