Surefire M2, A2, L2

wuyeah

Enlightened
Hello guys....because of seeking a suggestion for one of these light, i join the forum!!

Personally, i like the design (not about its ability) better. But A2/L2 might be a better light. I really don't know much, just started searching 2 days ago.

Would you give me some reason why M2 should not be the best buy among 3?

side question: I saw on picture, there is one kind of flashlight head has so many small bulb in it. a bit like A2, but more bulb than A2. what kind of LED are they??

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The M2 offers many options, such as a whole range of accessories including filters, beamshapers, bezels, turboheads, and you can use rechargeable CR123 cells, RCR123's X2 and run the 9 volt lamps, as well as the standard Cr123's X2 with 6 volt lamps (LA). You can add the KL3 or KL5 led heads. You can even do more with the M2. You are somewhat limited in options with the A2, and L2, and the A2 will always only be an incan/led light, and the L2 will only be a led light. See the surefire.com web site and look at what is available for the different lights.

Bill

wuyeah

Enlightened
read what Bill wrote.....sounds like M2 is actually a better choice! more power than L2/A2, more flex. But why it so less talk about in here??

I have read a lot of M3, its awsome, but seems like too big of size for EDC. Hardly hear people talk M2 in thread though. I don't think i will go for a M3 for sure, since my pocket is already full of knives.

CLHC

Flashaholic
wuyeah said:
side question: I saw on picture, there is one kind of flashlight head has so many small bulb in it. a bit like A2, but more bulb than A2. what kind of LED are they??

Welcome to CPF WUYEAH!

Probably you're thinking about the DARPA series of lights that SureFire and others are collaborating on building. These are not for sell—yet. But someone did mention that if it was then they go for $600.00+? ! ? ! Don't know what kind of LEDs its using since these are experimental lights.

I have the SureFire M2 and it is a very ruggedly built flashlight with a lot going for it as others mentioned here already. But either one of the SureFire line that you choose, is sure not to disappoint, other than you wanting even more and more. . .

Hope that you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
Remember that bulb will burn out. BAM!! $17.00 please (atleast!) L2's LED is very bright and it won't burn out even if dropped when its been running for a while.

Just do enuff research for this amount of money. Review all beamshots etc.

But as you should know by now... BUY THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

wuyeah

Enlightened
CHC said:
SureFire line that you choose, is sure not to disappoint, other than you wanting even more and more. . .

I don't want more and more!! :rant: That is what i am kinda afraid of. Somehow i don't feel as guilty having more and more knives. But i feel guilty to have more and more flashlights. Don't ask me what logic i am behind....but...a good personal light, one, just enough. As for knives....i see them more art than daily use item.

u might see me disobey my own statement in the future though. :bumpit:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I can see that the filaments breaking due to "blunt force trauma" and the like. Burning out too. . .

I've had my SureFires—the 6P for some 10 years now and have dropped that light a number of times even from off of a roof onto hard concrete. Other SFs incans have been dropped from no less than 3 feet from the concrete floor.

None of those incandescent lamp assemblies have given out due to such "impact"! I'm not saying that it will not or has not. But in the time period of owning these incandescents—they've not gone out on me, other than the one blowing up when I handled the LA and did not wipe it clean.

But I can see one not wanting to take that chance! I'm not going to argue with you there. It seems like there's been too many "ifs" with regards to SureFire's incandescents. Hopefully that's not a tell tale sign among those doubting the quality of SureFire's manufacturing as a whole.

Like JollyToker420 said: "BUY THEM ALL! ! !"

Sorry for the babble babble babble here. . .

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey don't get me wrong on you liking knives WUYEAH! I like edgies too. I'm not going to go there since quite a number of knives (not "cheap" ones if you will) have been "appropriated" by my brother without me knowing.

There's a number of people here who like the A2 and the L2. It's a matter of personal preference. There's also the HDS line. . .Hmmm. . .

wuyeah

Enlightened
Awww..........A2/L2 difference are just toooo hair line. Choose between 2, I would choose A2. Simply with 3 light/ shorter handle.

But when i apply A2 vs. M2......my brain can't give me a straight answer.
M2 is .5 wider. I, start to wonder....would i think it is bulky to carry because of that .5 inch?? Really wish there is a store that I can put my hands on. Only store i know that has them, they have most...but they just missed a M2 in store.

Deciding is the only part of shopping that isn't fun. :laughing:

wuyeah

Enlightened
CHC, since you are a M2 owner. How exactly you climb over that cliff? What made you so sure to go for M2? Or hahaha, you own 2 perhaps All 3 light on my title??

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
I have both the A2 and the M2, and if I could only have one, it would easily be the A2, no question!

The A2 has 2 levels, so is suitable for close up and medium distances, lasts for ages on low level and has a regulated high beam, so it stays bright and white right till the end of the battery life, where the M2 will be ever dimming from the start.

The M2 is tough, but is a little on the large side to carry all the time. The only way I would choose the M2 was if I needed the shock isolation to use it with a pistol.

wuyeah

Enlightened
stuartyr thanks for the explaination. That is just what i need!

When everyone are pointing at one light, it must have a reason.

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2e, much smaller than them all and you can replace the incandescent head with an LED head if you wish.

CLHC

Flashaholic
wuyeah said:
CHC, since you are a M2 owner. How exactly you climb over that cliff? What made you so sure to go for M2? Or hahaha, you own 2 perhaps All 3 light on my title??

I had the original M2 which is more like the C2, but lost it on the range and the current model M2. For me I like the way it looked and the way I tend to hold it because of the o-ring. Just easier for me that way.

I have no problem carrying it in pocket, because I use the carpenter/painter type pants and can easily carry that in the right leg pocket. The M3 fits in there too and it's deep enough that it doesn't protrude, but easy to access without me having to "fish around" for it.

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
wuyeah, here are a couple of pics of the M2 and A2 together, not only is the A2 functionally superior to the M2, it is far more "pocketable" too! ;)

208100.jpg

208101.jpg

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey STUARTYR! Now that's an excellent pic for those wanting to know how these two stack up side by side!

"Functionally superior" eh? SureFire competing amongst themselves? What's that saying again? "United we stand, Divided we fall. . ."?

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Hey STUARTYR! Now that's an excellent pic for those wanting to know how these two stack up side by side!

"Functionally superior" eh? SureFire competing amongst themselves? What's that saying again? "United we stand, Divided we fall. . ."?

Well, it was a bit tounge in cheek, but unless you are shooting hand cannons :D I would say its most likely true ;)