Surefire M2 rattling noise

Size15's

Flashaholic
So there is a difference between the "tactical" and the "hunting" needs for stealth and levels of quietness?
That would make sense because most hunted animals have keener hearing then humans.

Perhaps I'm still not understanding. Are the noises the result of tapping the body with your finger or the result of shaking it, or the result of it just "being" in your hand or in a holster?

When I tap my E2e (it's what I've got to hand right now) with my finger on it's body it makes a noise (I assume it's the batteries knocking against the inside of the body)
I don't get any rattle unless I remove the TailCap and then tap.

Al

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a whole lot of difference really, seeing as what you can hear is generally not acceptable in both cases (remember the process of elimination starts with human perception in first place)

What I am saying is about the noise is, Cap on and in momentary position I hear batteries and rattle of switch when shaken or tapped and even more loudly when lightly tapped and it seems the sound of the spring in the tailcap boinging as well. Anyhow the noise has alerted both of my cats two rooms away who have wandered in and are wondering what the hell all the racket is ( yes they do have better hearing but this was a different type of noise than they are used to I guess). I just realised if I add the lanyard and tailcap ring and shake I might as well be wearing a keyring. The M3 seems to do it in two parrallel spots on the tailcap and not on the spots perpendicular, now thats weird.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok when i tap on the tailcap, it does rattle but if i just grab the light and shake it vigorously, the only rattling is from the batteries. IMO its quite unavoidable given the design of the switch though...avoiding hitting the switch is probably just a precaution that users are going to have to take, similar to wrapping electrical tape around the handguards of the older M16A1s, which rattled a lot too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif