SureFire Pen IV

Kraid

Enlightened
The SureFire Pen IV. I've had a few days to get a feeling for it now. Its a very comfortable pen, it has a nice weight and a super smooth clicky. The stock refill flows as easily as the name would suggest. I like it enough that this will now be my refill of choice for any pen that can fit it (VS the Space Pen refills). My wife is a little undecided on it, she notes that anything it touches (such as her finger) gets ink on it when normally it might not.

IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

The size of this pen is really nice. Its comparable to my aluminum production version of Tom Anderson's Twister pen. (Which I need to throw an EasyFLOW 9000 into, BTW). Its not too long (as I understand the Pen I was). Its a little bit longer than the Pen II, which I've never held, but looks a little short in pics to me. Another thing, I understand that the Pen II's tip would loosen on its own. This is something that was corrected with the Pen III and with this basically being the same pen, its still corrected here. The tip, clip and clicky all look to be DLC coated stainless steel to me. Its a very hard black coating that retains a smooth, almost satin texture. DLC is my personal favorite coating, I'll take it anywhere that I can get it. The aluminum body portion of the pen claims to be HAIII anodization. I wasn't aware that it would come in silver, but if it truly is Type III and not Type II, then it should be a very thick and hard wearing ano. Time will tell.

IMAG0674.jpg

IMAG0670.jpg

IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0668.jpg

The clicky seems to be Lok-tighted down. Thats fine, I don't need to open it. I could boil it if I was feeling frisky. Now about this clicky... it is SOOO smooth that the first time I clicked it, I thought that someone had forgotten to put a spring in my pen! I thought that the tip came out just because I was pushing down! Well, the spring IS there and the pen works beautifully. I'm just used to my Parker Jotter which gives some resounding feedback with every click. Its taken me a little while to get used to the smoothness of the SureFire but I imagine that the super soft click in a sign of SureFire's attention to quality. Its probably a more solid clicky than the Jotter, I'm just not used to this level of refinement.

The only "bad" thing that I can say about the pen is that the vertical lines milled into the top area of the pen feel a little sharp when running your finger horizontally. Its a very small gripe as it doesn't feel like to could damage cloth or flesh. I just expected smoother edges there. On a related note, the horizontal finger grooves milled in the grip section of the pen are smooth and sexy. :)

IMAG0678.jpg

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Nice review Kraid! Thanks.

Surefire pens are great, it looks like I will have to pick one of these up to go with my silver E1B.

Cheers - Pete.

kabayashi

Newly Enlightened
ehm, can somebody tell me how much these are?
I mean, it's just a pen... to write stuff down... kinda.

Kraid

Enlightened
Thanks, Pete! It's a great pen, you won't be disappointed!

The pen goes for $130. Considering how badass the pen is, compared to more expensive resin pens... its a steal! Military discount helps too. :)

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Great review, thanks! I just ordered the III-type pen the other day after handling one in person and I'm really looking forward to getting it. As far as I can tell, the black finishing on the clicky cap, clip, and end is the only difference between the type IV and type III, right? I'll be interested to see how yours wears after awhile. I wonder how easily the black will wear off with use. Have you heard any feedback on that?

Kraid

Enlightened
Thanks, Russ!

Yeah, the black coating is different as are the vertical lines vice horizontal. I honestly think that the black coating is DLC. If I'm right... it should last longer than the Type III ano on the aluminum!

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
Nice review.

I Just received mine in the mail and I have to agree the vertical lines are very sharp...Too sharp.... I tried to smooth them out a bit figuring it was simply "rough finishing". I rubbed it against my T-Shirt and it cut "shreds" in the shirt (no kidding) - my wife was actually a bit annoyed commenting "That's a perfectly good shirt you just ripped up". This raises a concern regarding my putting the pen in the pocket of a nice dress shirt or suit pocket. Likely normal use will not present a problem but even what happened to me shouldn't have occurred. My guess is the pen is all computer milled and is likely not going through enough of a "finishing" process before being plated/coated. Also, the clicking mechanism isn't as smooth as I expected it to be (at least on my pen). I have quite a few pens and thus have something to compare it to. I have a number of "Fat Boy" pens. (http://www.michaelspens.com/) These are also milled aluminum pens but the clicking action on them is markedly smoother. I think they use a higher tension spring than surefire. Their mechanism is smoother, more firm, and less noisy.

That much said, I like the surefire pen. I owned the surefire "pen 1" and while I liked the weight of the pen 1 more, I prefer the styling of this pen over the 1. This pen in black on black is pretty cool. If Batman carried a pen - it would be this one. However, with a street price of $130 surefire should have worked out the issues on the sharp vertical lines.

Last edited:

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
Ok - here is an update to my last post. I was able to burnish the sharp edges enough to make them more tolerable. I changed the spring in the pen which made the click mechanism much more firm and punchy (took a spring out of one of my Fat Boys). I put in a montverde super broad ball point refill and this has become my daily pen.