Tail clicky for minimag: terralux vs. kroll

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Title says it all. Which one do you prefere and why?

I have a terralux on my MJLED minimag and it seems rather rugged with extremely low resistance. But I'm looking to build another modded MM, something along the lines of opposite to the MJLED (high output rutime be damned), though I want it to work on regualr NiMH AA's, so we'll see what happens...

But anyhow, what advantages does the kroll offer over the terralux, or visa versa? Does the kroll has plastic threads, as it appears to?

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened
I would have to recommend the terralux tail click. I have used mine for an entire year (next week) well over fifty times a week. No flicker, No fuss. I have rotated through drop-ins since the release of the Lux V version, and have been very pleased with my results. I am not acquainted with what a Kroll switch is exactly, but if it is the switch bundled with the Nite-Ize drop-in then I can state that others are satisfied with its performance.:thumbsup:

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if the Terralux is waterproof, the Krolls are. Otherwise, for function, the Terralux is definitely the best switch.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Just to muddy the waters a bit more, I just bought two Ram switches because I liked the lower profile. They seem to be okay, but there is little to no tactile feedback on the "click."

customh

Newly Enlightened
About the RAM and Nite-Ize switches (not talking about IQ, they flat suck), they are the same and don't seem waterproof to me. I haven't had a terralux or a kroll, but to me the kroll looks better, if it cant tailstand I want something with a bigger button and longer switch throw.

joshg

Newly Enlightened
Those Ram switches look just like the plain Nite ize switch except with a red center button. If the Ram is anything like the Nite ize switch, its junk IMO! Are there any other tailcap switches out there?

Mercaptan

Enlightened
My Nite-Ize switch is black with gray button center, and works really well. I highly recommend it.

sawlight

Enlightened
I've owned a few of the Krolls. For the money, I can't complain, but half of them wouldn't thread in straight (platic threads ). The covers seem to tear easily, then after a while, they just quit working. I have yet to tear into one to see why.
Just my .02.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Like I said, kroll is the way to go IMO. You can get then at the sandwich shoppe. Here:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.c...id=65&osCsid=f70f4fb9a20611a63d706048d613cb13

EDIT: I was only judging the books by their cover and now finally seeing someone talk about kroll quality I would say go with the terralux tle-1. Although it doesnt look waterproof. Here:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tcs-1.html

There really isn't a good tailcap switch for minimag, except one that I have seen off of some harbor freight light was like the iq switch only on/off, no levels, little resistance. I wish I had one. I need to tear into one of the cheap nite-ize/RAM ones and see if they are waterproof....

Last edited:

h2xblive

Enlightened
I have the Kroll for my 5EX LED AA MiniMag.

It's advantages are that it gives a satisfying click to turn on, but can also be pushed halfway for momentary activation.

It's disadvantage is that it makes the flashlight longer and it has no way of attaching the light to a lanyard. The latter is its biggest drawback, in my opinion.

gunga

Flashaholic
I have both. Both are decent but not amazing.

Kroll is forward clicky with nice feel, no lanyard attachment, but sometimes can have resistance/contact issues. Make sure to use the stock mag spring (lower resistance).

The terralux is reverse clicky and has okay feel. My first one started flickering and broke. I got a replacement and it works. It's a bit soft in feel (really easy to shut off by touching it) and is not the most positive switch I've ever owned. It is alloy, but the threads are pretty mediocre.

I have a Nite-Ize IQ too, it's pretty cool, but it does drop output a bit.

None of these is super waterproof.

Overall, all decent choices, tho I use the kroll and the Nite-Ize. The terralux is a backup for the Nite-ize.