Target made an error in their pricing

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had an occasion to check what Target's policy was on posted prices being lower than the scanned price, other than knowing that they would have to give you the posted price, but some retailers like Albertsons (and under their previous name of Lucky's) and Rite-Aid will give you the first item of that SKU for free if it is caught. I've caught it a couple of times at Albertsons, and once it was caught by a cashier. In more cases than not though, the consumer would have to be on the watch for it (accept some responsibility! ;) ,) as the cashier is busy scanning the items and most likely not paying attention to the price scanned; they have audible feedback as to whether or not the item was scanned. Other businesses will simply give you the lower posted price, and consumers as a whole will not bring up the issue if the scanned price is lower than the posted price.

In the overall scheme of things, while scanning does enable faster processing, it still relies on human input for the posted price to match the price in the system, and as such will continue to be vulnerable to human error. There's really no reason to go blaming cashiers as a whole for the discrepancies, they're just workin' folks like everyone else, and they're also consumers like everyone else. That having been said, there are some cashiers that tend to be less than cooperative, just as there are consumers that are less than rational.

nemul said:
I was thinking, what if it would have rang up for $29.99? i'm sure she would have check to see if it was overpriced... :\