Tell Us What Do You Use Your HeadLamp For?

Ishango

Enlightened
I used my HL10 during the weekend to do some electronic repairs on several devices around the house. It allows me to work handsfree and has a pleasant floody beam perfectly suited for short distances and is bright enough to see all the details.

PFKMan23

Newly Enlightened
I used my headlamp to find something buried deep in my closet. But I usually use it when I run.

Charles L.

Enlightened
PFKMan and SGT, I use a headlamp for those same purposes. Which headlamp do you use for running, PFKMan? I find myself gravitating to the lightest headlamp I own (Black Diamond Spot), even though I have headlamps with better beams and greater outputs. Gotta keep that thing on my head without bouncing around too much.

Mountain

Newly Enlightened
As a train conductor I use mine when the engineer screw's up:crackup:, or if I need to switch cars or make a set out. It's super handy hooking up air hoses and changing knuckles out though. Don't think I could make it through the night without it. It's just a cheapy no name but it's made it through several rain storms and is "rated" at 123lumens. Work's for me.

garey

Newly Enlightened
I use a small headlamp for repairs around the yard at night. I use the better headlamp walking into where I hunt in the woods. Red filter doesn't alarm critters and saves my night vision.

Entiat

Newly Enlightened
I live on a small farm - I use headlamps for *everything* around the farm at night. Feeding animals, fixing stuff that has broken, finding horses that got out, getting firewood on a rainy night, etc.

I hike, camp and ride horses and bikes a lot, so a headlight is critical for these.

I create software for whale scientists, which means I deal with a lot of electronics on occasion (GPS's, AIS receivers, sat internet setups, hydrophones, etc.) - my headlight is nice for dealing with any wiring, battery replacements, etc. that happen in the field, especially if I have to take things below deck to work on them and the lighting on that boat is iffy.

Oh - my BBQ is in my (old, detached) garage that has poor lighting - I end up using a headlight to check whether the steak is done or not :)

hillrunner

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I use it for running. Where I live there is very little streetlights and theres no light when you run offroad, so a headlight is a necessity.
Cheers,
hillrunner

joe226

Newly Enlightened
I use mine for detailed work that requires two hands and a little extra light, along with plumbing work under the sink, rummaging through shelves and drawers in a dark garage, baiting hooks while night fishing. and any other job that requires two hands in a poorly lit area.

jwag73

Newly Enlightened
I'm an automotive technician and use mine at work daily. I'm looking to buy a couple more, one for home and one to keep in my truck. I remember thinking how dorky my friend was with his on, now I wouldn't be without one at work!

kestrel140

Newly Enlightened
I use mine for biking at night. The bell on my bike does not always get walkers attention, so 500 lumens stuns them long enough for me to zip by. Trouble is not laughing too hard at the look on their face. :)

jeffnc

Newly Enlightened
I'm a professional handyman and home improvement contractor. It's indispensable to me for working in crawlspaces, houses in between tenants with no electricity (a generator is often way overkill), and in rooms where I have to turn off the breaker for one reason or another (working on a light fixture is an obvious one.) Many contractors use flashlights, but it seems a no brainer to me to use a light that is both hands free and directed by my sight.

The Kobalt Hypercoil works well as a standalone flashlight in the sense that it can be hands free and be left aimed anywhere, but there are obviously different pros and cons to that approach.

I currently use the Coast HL4 which I like because of the bright light, adjustable angle, and simple on/off switch (some have multiple use switches that you have to toggle through - hi, lo, strobe, red - I have no time for all that.) The HL4 has a separate red button, but I don't ever use red. I'm soon going to switch to the HL7, which has brighter light, dimmer switch, and adjustable beam. The rated battery life isn't high on hi setting, but I'll be looking into using NiMH rechargeables with it. The HL4 has an additional top band and I'm not sure how much that helps keep it in place on my head. The HL7 does not have the top band, but the HL4 has exposed wires which sometimes get tangled, and I look forward to the hidden wires of the HL7.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
This evening I used my ArmyTek Wizard while clearing snow off the driveway with my snowblower.

whothedonk

Newly Enlightened
I use my Zebralight ZLH600w Mk 2 H600w Neutral White to explorate rather "small" quarries and mines.
I love the warm white it throws and it's great for photos.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I'm an automotive technician and use mine at work daily. I'm looking to buy a couple more, one for home and one to keep in my truck. I remember thinking how dorky my friend was with his on, now I wouldn't be without one at work!

I remember telling my dear old friend, who swore by them, how dorky they were until I bought one and thought, they are not dorky; they are cool. Can't imagine not having one now!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my H600Fw tonight to saw some firewood after work. With its high output, this is a GREAT lamp for doing this sort of work at night. In years past, I would have used something like a droplight. There was simply no available flashlight that could put out the kind of light necessary for this sort of work. It certainly makes things easier when you don't need to worry about lighting.

Latest posts