TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME SSC P4 U-bin LED upgrade for AA MiniMag Maglites TLE-5EX

Status
Not open for further replies.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Re: TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME SSC P4 U-bin LED upgrade for AA MiniMag Maglites TLE-5EX

Therefore knot, you won't be able to use the twisty of the MiniMag. Just so you know.

knot

Banned
customh said:
Therefore knot, you won't be able to use the twisty of the MiniMag. Just so you know.

....because it won't turn off? Therefore a tail switch is needed. How about putting a thin washer between the LED and the "do not remove" - large enough to contact the threads, at one point, but flexible enough to allow the module to switch off - such as like material from a beer can?

Last edited:

customh

Newly Enlightened
Re: TerraLUX MiniStar2 EXTREME SSC P4 U-bin LED upgrade for AA MiniMag Maglites TLE-5EX

Wouldn't sink enough heat away through the threads to be useful i don't think.

knot

Banned
As it is, it's only sitting on a piece of plastic with no contact with metal.

*edit - I tried it, it turns on and off but there isn't much room for focus (even less)

Last edited:

customh

Newly Enlightened

true... I really hate pimping this, but within the month I'll have a Mcclicky-based tailcap switch out, so if you want to wait for that and do the washer mod the tailcap switch will be 15 bucks.

knot

Banned
customh said:
true... I really hate pimping this, but within the month I'll have a Mcclicky-based tailcap switch out, so if you want to wait for that and do the washer mod the tailcap switch will be 15 bucks.

What's that and how does it compare to http://www.batteryjunction.com/tcs-1.html and is there any resistance in either one of them?

I think someone ought to make an aluminum "do not remove" with a plastic center.

Last edited:

customh

Newly Enlightened

I was thinking about the aluminum do not remove and the problem would be that when the light is on, it wouldn't touch anything. On the switch, the TCS-1 has some QC issues, I am making an Aluminum switch for the minimag from this switch is what "that" is. http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_58&products_id=791

knot

Banned

customh

Newly Enlightened

I suppose.

knot

Banned

Looking forward to your announcement anyway. A tail switch would be nice but so would retaining focusing ability with heat sinking.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
bump. Very interested in this. Worth the price? Any guess as to the runtime off of one primary CR123? Or even a Battery station 3.7v 900mah RCR?

Last edited:

customh

Newly Enlightened

Not a clue on those runtimes, but on a set of e2 aa's ive had it going for 3 weeks now off and on use. As for being worth it, it definitely is.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I just ordered one, so I guess I'll find out the answers to my questions!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The pre-order link for the TerraLUX TLE-6EXB Boost version for 2-3 C/D cell Mag's is UP!!

$24.95 before coupon. Units will begin shipping Weds/Thursday. We're only getting like 1/5 of our total order then but the remainder land the following Monday do order soon or you're waiting another 4-5 days. :)

Please don't ask me about actual output, runtimes etc - I didn't get a prototype this time and so I haven't seen 'em yet either.

I KNOW they can handle 3-4.5V, I do not how how well they work on 2.4V. I've been told this unit on 3 cells is as bright as the other on 4 cells.

PRE-ORDER LINK

theshorelinemarket_1950_51566982

Yes - that's a photoshop.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
MiniStar2 EXTREME - 140 Lumen Luxeon LED Upgrade Kit for Maglite 2AA Flashlights ?

Hi All,

How is this drop-in module different from the one discussed in this thread?

It's from TerraLux.
It's called a TLE-5EX.
And it claims a "140 lumens typical light output" (for "3-4 hour typical run time with 2AA cells").

But it's a K2 Luxeon, and not a Cree.

So what's the catch?
The SSC P4 doesn't seem to claim such a high output.

This is kinda confusing...two identically named upgrades, but with different LED's.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MiniStar2 EXTREME - 140 Lumen Luxeon LED Upgrade Kit for Maglite 2AA Flashlights

The K2 version is the old version of the TLE-5EX and it's no nearly as bright as the SSC P4 version (never mind efficiency).

140L is not realisitic at all - for either version.

See the name of the website you linked? They only sell Luxeon based products..

customh

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering the same thing... Now that I don't have the resources to make a decent tailcap, I have no reason to find out.

davidt

Enlightened
The TLE-5EX is much brighter than the 2aa minimag led. The tle-5ex has a lot of spill and can't really be focused. I perfer the tle-5ex over the 2aa minimag led.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Got my Terralux 5EX SSC P4 in the mail just now and equipped it with a RAM Instrument clicky, perfect function / tactical / positive click, and quiet too. Note, greatly reduced water resistance results from the clicky, but it's extremely reliable and I don't plan to be diving any time soon. It compares pretty good to the Fenix L2D, the L2D is slightly throwier, but the Terralux 5EX w/ Maglite may have slightly more overall output.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts