TerraLux Question

mjac

Newly Enlightened
Forgive the elementary question but I just bought a TerraLUX MiniStars5Extreme (TLE6EXB) LED Bulb for a 3D Maglite Flashlight. After doing more reading I found posts saying they overheat and deteriorate but the posts were fairly old. Is this still a problem with these bulbs and are they are just average at best? If so and I can cancel the order, what bulbs do you all recommend?...Thanks,mjac

scout24

Flashaholic
Terralux makes decent budget upgrade products for Maglites. You do generally get what you pay for. A huge step up in quality, workmanship and warranty availability would be a Malkoff upgrade for your light. Member Vestureofblood (Adventure Sport Flashlights) also does Maglight work, ranging up to several times what the light cost you. Both have subforums in the Custom Builders and Modders section here on CPF, as well as websites. Happy building, and Welcome to CPF! :)

PS- A replacement UCL (Ultra clear lens) to get rid of the scratch-prone plastic it comes with would be recommended. Kaidomain I believe also offers a light "orange peel" reflector to smooth out the stock beam. Also on the recommended list. Neither are mandatory to enjoy your light though!

Last edited:

mjac

Newly Enlightened
Terralux makes decent budget upgrade products for Maglites. You do generally get what you pay for. A huge step up in quality, workmanship and warranty availability would be a Malkoff upgrade for your light. Member Vestureofblood (Adventure Sport Flashlights) also does Maglight work, ranging up to several times what the light cost you. Both have subforums in the Custom Builders and Modders section here on CPF, as well as websites. Happy building, and Welcome to CPF! :)

PS- A replacement UCL (Ultra clear lens) to get rid of the scratch-prone plastic it comes with would be recommended. Kaidomain I believe also offers a light "orange peel" reflector to smooth out the stock beam. Also on the recommended list. Neither are mandatory to enjoy your light though!

Thanks for answering. I appreciate it.

I just wanted a good decent drop in LED bulb that would be a good bulb for the money with a good improvement over the incandescent. Maybe in the 200 to 300 lumen range with a good bright white light. Nothing really exotic or custom right now.

Does the TerraLUX still have heat build up issues that causes the bulb to deteriorate? Or is it a decent bulb for the money and I did not make too bad of a mistake? I was going to take the lense out for a clear beam and to dissipate the heat.

I had heard a number of people speak very highly of Malkoff. I wish that is what I would have bought. If I can cancel my order, I'll see how much more expensive it is and get that.

And whose idea was it to put "unenlightened" as my profile nickname?

scout24

Flashaholic
Unenlightened is a status, under 100 posts. We were all unenlightened at one point... :) Terralux is decent, Malkoff is bombproof, Adventuresport is daylight in your hand...

mjac

Newly Enlightened
Unenlightened is a status, under 100 posts. We were all unenlightened at one point... :) Terralux is decent, Malkoff is bombproof, Adventuresport is daylight in your hand...

I thought the "Unenlightened" was due to simple mindedness of the questions and the fact I bought a TerraLUX. That is a little bit of a relief. I thought I might be banned.

Little back story. Someone tried to steal my truck. They could not get it started but they stole my 5D Maglite and a bicycle pump for some reason and left everything else alone. So all I am trying to do right now is replace the 5D with an old 3D that has been upgraded a little bit with an inexpensive led drop in for now.

I paid only $16 for the TerraLUX. The Malkoff is $44. So the question is, is the TerraLUX just as good as any other drop in in that price range or is their something in that price range that is significantly better and worth canceling the order? You said the TerraLUX was decent a couple of times so I assume it is decent for the money.

If the TerraLUX has a tendency to heat up because it has no heat sink, you see a problem with just taking the lense out?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in a mini mag that's been there for years and I've never had a problem. For 16 dollars you can't really go wrong if all you are wanting to do is keep the same form factor of that 3D. It will serve its purpose and if it craps out a year down the road you are only out 16 bucks

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be pretty ticked off if someone stole my malkoffed maglite. If you think it's safe, go with that. The terralux is very efficient and I wouldn't be harassing the police to kick down doors to recover it. The malkoff missing would drive me crazy. Like now. I sold mine and I've been kicking myself ever since

mjac

Newly Enlightened
I have one in a mini mag that's been there for years and I've never had a problem. For 16 dollars you can't really go wrong if all you are wanting to do is keep the same form factor of that 3D. It will serve its purpose and if it craps out a year down the road you are only out 16 bucks

The TerraLUX might be a little better then I gave them credit for. For $16 it seems like a good bulb for the money unless there is something out there a lot better in that price range. But I do not know of any right now.

mjac

Newly Enlightened
I'd be pretty ticked off if someone stole my malkoffed maglite. If you think it's safe, go with that. The terralux is very efficient and I wouldn't be harassing the police to kick down doors to recover it. The malkoff missing would drive me crazy. Like now. I sold mine and I've been kicking myself ever since

It is just an old 3D. No need to dump a lot of money on it. But the incandescent ain't working;Yellow light, dim, drains battery's. So for $16 we give it a descent upgrade. To give you an example why not to put a $44 Malkoff in an old Maglite, I ran across a Nite Rider Bike Light with 4 different intensity levels with 1100 (claimed) Lumens on boost on some kind of Closeout and I got it for $36. Fits in the palm of your hand, comes with a charger for rechargeable battery and a bracket for the darn handlebars.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The issue with the TerraLux was it's components were not build very sturdy. To fix a flat or check for a coolant leak etc they did pretty good. Over time though they just didn't hold up very well. People who use their light often and at lengthy on times were plagued with them failing.

Another option is to go to Wally World or other famous big store and purchase an ML25, which is a nice little 2C light that operates like a minimag in that on/off occurs with the twist of the head but……you can dial the beam to your liking and use a slight lossen of the tailcap to turn it on or off as about a half turn loose of the tailcap cuts the circuit. About $20 plus batteries. Some come with DuraCell batteries. Do not leave the DuraCells in your light. They will leak. Energizers may leak or may not. Rayovacs have the best track record against leaks.

Another option is the classic 2D from Grainger. I do not know of anybody else selling that one but it's the 213 lumen model with a low option. Very bright for only 200 lumens. And the low is about 175 but makes the runtime multiply by like 10x.

I have a Malkoff in a 3D and man is it bright. It's an investment. Buy one and be set for life.

mjac

Newly Enlightened
The issue with the TerraLux was it's components were not build very sturdy. To fix a flat or check for a coolant leak etc they did pretty good. Over time though they just didn't hold up very well. People who use their light often and at lengthy on times were plagued with them failing.

Another option is to go to Wally World or other famous big store and purchase an ML25, which is a nice little 2C light that operates like a minimag in that on/off occurs with the twist of the head but……you can dial the beam to your liking and use a slight lossen of the tailcap to turn it on or off as about a half turn loose of the tailcap cuts the circuit. About $20 plus batteries. Some come with DuraCell batteries. Do not leave the DuraCells in your light. They will leak. Energizers may leak or may not. Rayovacs have the best track record against leaks.

Another option is the classic 2D from Grainger. I do not know of anybody else selling that one but it's the 213 lumen model with a low option. Very bright for only 200 lumens. And the low is about 175 but makes the runtime multiply by like 10x.

I have a Malkoff in a 3D and man is it bright. It's an investment. Buy one and be set for life.[/QUOIs

Is that still an issue with TerraLUX or have they been upgraded? The posts I have seen on this subject have been really old. If that is still the case, is there another led drop in in the same price range that performs better so you can get some more use from an old Maglite inexpensively?

I am sure the ML25 and the Grainger 2D are good flashlights for the money, but are they as durable as a club?

Everyone says the Malkoffs are great. But they are $44. Like you are saying, they will outlast 3 TeraLUXS and you will have much more and better light the whole time. You are making me reconsider. If I can cancel my TerraLUX order I might gonaheadvand get one. You would have better performance then a standard 5D without the bulk. Never thought of that.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy a malkoff it will last your lifetime and probably the lifetime of your children. I have thrown everything at my malkoff and it won't die.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
TerraLux is still using old tech. Matter of fact what you may be seeing is old stock. Example new Pentagon lights can still be found even though they went out of business over ten years ago.

For the same price as the TerraLux there is nothing as good or better, no.

We don't discuss using lights as weapons. It is verboten here but you can certainly use the upgraded 2D as a hammer and the ML25 as a finish nail hammer. Wink wink.

mjac

Newly Enlightened
If you buy a malkoff it will last your lifetime and probably the lifetime of your children. I have thrown everything at my malkoff and it won't die.

LED Supply has allowed me to cancel my order. So I will look at the Malkoff and the Adventure Sport Flashlight Products. I think I will be much better off.

mjac

Newly Enlightened
TerraLux is still using old tech. Matter of fact what you may be seeing is old stock. Example new Pentagon lights can still be found even though they went out of business over ten years ago.

For the same price as the TerraLux there is nothing as good or better, no.

We don't discuss using lights as weapons. It is verboten here but you can certainly use the upgraded 2D as a hammer and the ML25 as a finish nail hammer. Wink wink.

LED Supply has allowed me to cancel my order so I will be able to get something of a little better quality even though it might cost a little more. I think it would be better to get something better to get more enjoyment out of it and last longer.

Well the upgraded 2D and ML25 must be pretty good values for the money. But the Maglite has been compared to a club not that anyone would ever use it as such as part of this conversation. It is just their mystic but only in an imaginary sense. If you know what I mean.