Test/Review of Charger Opus BT-C3100 V2.1

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Thanks ven and tatasal.

Since ordering the Opus, it dawned on me, though, that recording discharge curves on PC and comparing them to HKJ's would be best tool to distinguish fake/genuine cells...

I am now considering a SkyRC M3000 for this. But maybe this is overkill just to try to determine whether 8x button top 30Q's are real, although it would have uses down the road.

And maybe I'd really need at minimum a CBA like this even to attempt to replicate HKJ's discharge curves? http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=cba4

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ven and tatasal.

Since ordering the Opus, it dawned on me, though, that recording discharge curves on PC and comparing them to HKJ's would be best tool to distinguish fake/genuine cells...

I am now considering a SkyRC M3000 for this. But maybe this is overkill just to try to determine whether 8x button top 30Q's are real, although it would have uses down the road.

And maybe I'd really need at minimum a CBA like this even to attempt to replicate HKJ's discharge curves? http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=cba4

The CBA is a pure analyzer, it will only do discharge tests, does not even charge. If you are fine with it, then it will serve its purpose.

You mentioned about distinguishing fake/genuine cells...well, a simple discharge test on the Opus will easily tell you one. The MC3000 is just too much over-kill, (and hyped) for all intents and purposes, much more with the CBA.

My iCharger hobby charger can also provide PC-interface for graphing purposes via Logview, and it's supplied with a cable.

Last edited:

joelbnyc

Enlightened
The CBA is a pure analyzer, it will only do discharge tests, does not even charge. If you are fine with it, then it will serve its purpose..

Yes I realize it's not a charger. Prob more useful if one has a whole bunch of cells for hobby/biz/resale purposes. For my budget/uses I'll prob just wait until liionwholesale/mtn gets the button top 30Q's/VTC6's back in stock.

You mentioned about distinguishing fake/genuine cells...well, a simple discharge test on the Opus will easily tell you one.

I guess you're right, if it is accurate/precise- I could plot the Voltage vs mAh discharged on a graph by hand or in a spreadsheet, at a few points during the discharge, to see roughly how they compare to HKJ's tests of the genuine article?

Jvze1NE.jpg

Although I imagine a computerized graph using SkyRC M3000 would be easier. I looked at the ichargers too. But, if I can create a graph like this for $90 with the SkyRC...

Last edited:

arjay_18

Newly Enlightened
Hi, been trying to decide between this charger and the maha C9000. Can anyone suggest which one to get? Is this charger "safer" and have more functions than the maha?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, been trying to decide between this charger and the maha C9000. Can anyone suggest which one to get? Is this charger "safer" and have more functions than the maha?

Well. the Maha is purely nimh analyzing charger only, but the Opus do can li-ion too.

RfFTNUX.jpg

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened
How does the Opus BT-c3100 v2.2 compare to the Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus? I just ordered the Opus but having second thoughts now after reading this. I'm not sure if pulse charging is good for the batteries.

Can anyone recommend me the best/safest charger?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the Opus BT-c3100 v2.2 compare to the Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus? I just ordered the Opus but having second thoughts now after reading this. I'm not sure if pulse charging is good for the batteries.

Can anyone recommend me the best/safest charger?

The Xtar is not an analyzing charger. It can only charge, and once a charging rate is chosen, it applies to all bays at once. The Opus on the other hand has 4 purely-independent channels.

With regards to pulse charging, I have yet to read any definitive end-user observation on whether a cell charged in another way (CC/CV) will actually last longer (lifetime-wise), or the other way around. There are also studies saying that pulse charging is actually better on cells.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378775301008205

https://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/56262

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Xtar is not an analyzing charger. It can only charge [...]

But, since Li-ion typically has charge (coulombic) efficiency > 99%, you don't really need an analyzing (dis)charger to test capacity, since if your charger reports 3000mAh for a full charge then you know that the capacity is between 99% - 100% of that, i.e. between 2970 - 3000mAh (and that 1% error range is less than the typical 5% error range of the charger components / calibration). But that won't work so well for less charge efficient chemistries such as NiMh.

stigma45

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I need help choosing between XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus and OPUS BT-C3100 v2.2.
I'm mostly interested in charging batteries, everything else is a bonus.
I read that OPUS has problems with power supply unit.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I'd also like an analyzing charger, just to fool around with. Opus vs Dragon seems to have the highest wordcount.

Mainly I want to charge AAA NiMH without them getting hot -- I bought a couple dozen Tenergy last fall, and in my NiteCore Intellicharger i4 one of a pair will often be hotter, or both pretty hot.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also like an analyzing charger, just to fool around with. Opus vs Dragon seems to have the highest wordcount.

Mainly I want to charge AAA NiMH without them getting hot -- I bought a couple dozen Tenergy last fall, and in my NiteCore Intellicharger i4 one of a pair will often be hotter, or both pretty hot.

The Xtar Dragon will offer more features than the Opus BT-3100 v. 2.2, but consult HKJ's test for the precise pros and cons.

I have ~12 Xtar chargers, but not the Dragon, so I'm an Xtar fanboy. I've had the Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 for 4 years and it's pretty much the same as 3100 v. 2.2, but with a beefier fan and a display that can be toggled on/off. You can even drill a hole in the bottom of the case and access a slider switch for 3.8/4.35v cells!

Chris

John D

Newly Enlightened
Hi: This is my first post.

I just purchased an Ambient climate c3000 battery charger (identical to the opus bt-c3100 v2.2.)
When using the charge-test mode, after the first charge, the capacity only shows four dashes. While this might be ok, the reason I'm questioning it is twofold:

1- In HKJ's review (post #1), he says display shows 1882mAH at 2.08. My charger shows -- --
I copied the info below from the first post but the image isn't showing for some reason.

Start HKJ copied text:
"CHARGE TEST NiMH batteries, used to measure capacity

This function charger, discharges and charges again and is used to measure the capacity of cells.
Display shows: 1892mAh 2:08" end HKJ copied text

2- When using the discharge- refresh mode, during the discharge portion, accumulated mAh is displayed as a progressing number. However, during the discharge phase of the test mode, only -- -- is displayed under accumulated mAh.
Just wondering if my charger is working as it should?

Thank you

twist3r

Newly Enlightened
Hello

I'm close to buying one discharger (and I'm torn between Liitokala 500 and v2.2 of Opus 3100). I read HKJ's review about Opus 3100 v2.1 (and I also read review about Liitokala 500). But... I coudn't find his review of Opus 3100 v2.2 at his website. I guess thats because there is no review (done by him) about that software version of Opus 3100 (v2.2).

Can someone tell me (personally I would like if HKJ finds time to answer) what has changed from v2.1 to v2.2 and is that version of discharger 'better' than v2.1 or did it introduced some 'bad things' (compared to v2.1).

I would go for Liitokala 500 (because is cheaper) as my first (ever) smart charger/discharger, BUT... the fact that it doesn't measure internal resistance correctly, kinda stops me from that, and force me to re-think.

This is a topic about Opus BT-C3100, so I guess owners of it (even newer v2.2 ) would suggest me Opus over Liitokala, but... can I go wrong with Liitokala? I mean, how bad it can be becaues it can't measure IR correctly? That would mean that it can't measure capacity correctly, right? (sorry for noobish questions).

btw. I also heard that IF I decide to go with Opus v2.2 that I should buy one which has patent ID at the back? Why is that?

Thanks in advance for your answers guys.

p.s. currently Opus v2.2 at AE is $31.08 (witch includes shipping with tracking #) compared to $16.28 for Liitokala 500 (witch comes with free shipping that includes tracking #). Thats the cheapest prices I found from reliable sellers, so for a price of Opus I can almost buy 2x Liitokala. Is the Opus that much 'better' or should I go with Liitokala? Sorry for this offtopic question.

CNR

Newly Enlightened
Man, i was looking to replace my old i4 charger and thought UMS4 or SC4 would be great, but after reading the reviews the time sharing and inconsistent IR readings put me off, it seems the BT-C3100 V2.2 is way better in all except of the pulse charging that worries me.
I just need a fast (at least 1A x 4 18650s) charger that is safe for the batteries and with consistent (even if not very accurate) IR and mAh readings. Being able to discharge and measure capacity is a bonus, i can get the C3100 for 45€ with shipping, is there a charger like this without pulse charging ?

xzel87

Enlightened
Man, i was looking to replace my old i4 charger and thought UMS4 or SC4 would be great, but after reading the reviews the time sharing and inconsistent IR readings put me off, it seems the BT-C3100 V2.2 is way better in all except of the pulse charging that worries me.
I just need a fast (at least 1A x 4 18650s) charger that is safe for the batteries and with consistent (even if not very accurate) IR and mAh readings. Being able to discharge and measure capacity is a bonus, i can get the C3100 for 45€ with shipping, is there a charger like this without pulse charging ?

I'm close to buying one discharger (and I'm torn between Liitokala 500 and v2.2 of Opus 3100). I read HKJ's review about Opus 3100 v2.1 (and I also read review about Liitokala 500). But... I coudn't find his review of Opus 3100 v2.2 at his website. I guess thats because there is no review (done by him) about that software version of Opus 3100 (v2.2).

Can someone tell me (personally I would like if HKJ finds time to answer) what has changed from v2.1 to v2.2 and is that version of discharger 'better' than v2.1 or did it introduced some 'bad things' (compared to v2.1).

I would go for Liitokala 500 (because is cheaper) as my first (ever) smart charger/discharger, BUT... the fact that it doesn't measure internal resistance correctly, kinda stops me from that, and force me to re-think.

This is a topic about Opus BT-C3100, so I guess owners of it (even newer v2.2 ) would suggest me Opus over Liitokala, but... can I go wrong with Liitokala? I mean, how bad it can be becaues it can't measure IR correctly? That would mean that it can't measure capacity correctly, right? (sorry for noobish questions).

btw. I also heard that IF I decide to go with Opus v2.2 that I should buy one which has patent ID at the back? Why is that?

Thanks in advance for your answers guys.

p.s. currently Opus v2.2 at AE is $31.08 (witch includes shipping with tracking #) compared to $16.28 for Liitokala 500 (witch comes with free shipping that includes tracking #). Thats the cheapest prices I found from reliable sellers, so for a price of Opus I can almost buy 2x Liitokala. Is the Opus that much 'better' or should I go with Liitokala? Sorry for this offtopic question.

I have been using the v2.1 version going on 7 years now and my batteries are fine. I have 4 9 year old 2000mah eneloops and they are still fine despite being charged at 1A x 4 and 2Ax2. All my other Li-Ion cells are also fine with no obvious deterioration (I top up my stored batteries every month), those in cycle gets charged when low.

v2.2 should be the same if not better, the only modification I would recommend is to get a 6A power adaptor (2.5mm x 5mm barrel plug, please reconfirm though I may have remembered wrong), buy some spare fans (it gets loud after some time, maybe can be relubed but I already had spares so I didn't bother relubing the fan bearings). I also cut out the slots at the back to allow more airflow through the unit. If you can't be bothered doing all that bear in mind that I was using it stock up till 2020, then I got the 6A adaptor and the mods.

PS: There's a tiny switch at the back of the unit to switch li-ion charging between lifepo (3.2V), regular Li-Ion (4.2V) and 4.35V.....I made a cut out on mine to easily access the switch as I have a bunch of 4.35V cells.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Solid. Still using mine pretty hard. The only time I use a different charger (C801D) is when I need to do more than 4 cells at a time.