• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Aeon - Hardcoat Aluminum

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Aeon - Hardcoat Aluminum (Colors Posted)

If you make ones with conic reflectors like the old CR2 Ion I'll find the money for one in no time! Love that floody light.

That's what the CR2 Ion is for (flood), and that's why this has an entirely different name instead of being called "Mark II", because it has a design objective that's completely different and serves an altogether different purpose than that light did.

You can never please everyone, when I made the CR2 Ion years ago people were always asking for a small light with a more tradition beam pattern. Now that it's here, people want the old model again. :crazy: :thinking:

I do not foresee making a light with the nature of the CR2 Ion again in the near future.

PSM: It's been a long time since I've seen a Senor Frog :laughing:

-Enrique

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what the CR2 Ion is for (flood), and that's why this has an entirely different name instead of being called "Mark II", because it has a design objective that's completely different and serves an altogether different purpose than that light did.

You can never please everyone, when I made the CR2 Ion years ago people were always asking for a small light with a more tradition beam pattern. Now that it's here, people want the old model again. :crazy: :thinking:

I do not foresee making a light with the nature of the CR2 Ion again in the near future.

This presupposes that you can only be producing one light at a given time, which we see is not the case - you have the Aeon and Nautilus out now. What the fans of the old floodlight are simply asking, is whether you'd be able to release another light in parallel, that has the flood beam - if one chose to create such a light, there's nothing to prevent the production of this in addition to the two others. It's not necessarily an either-or, and frankly I don't think anyone's asking you to 'please everyone' - but a question was gently asked, since there were quite a few people who liked the original Ion beam, and it's not available anymore - and I guess you answered it.

carrot

Flashaholic

Endeavour and I have had many exchanges over this exact topic. We're just ruffling each other's feathers. :)

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
I've read through all the Aeon threads that I could find but still no mention of how low the low really is in lumens or even relative to another flashlight's low. Would some kind CPF'er please estimate the number of lumens on low that the Aeon outputs? Thanks in advance.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Using my sphere, and basing the high output at 110L, the Aeon shows a low reading of 11.66L - call it 12L for simplicity.

The Nautilus produced 6.5L under the same conditions, so the Aeon that I tested is nearly twice as bright.

Endeavour's figures may be far different than mine - in which case mine will be changed to agree with his:D

Even though the Aeon is not a floodlight like the Ion, the beam distribution on low setting is a gentle hotspot that gradually changes to spillbeam.

Nautilus on left, Aeon on right, 10' to white door:

aeon13.jpg

Pretty sweet:D

fleegs

Enlightened
If the Aeon is twice as bright (which I assume was not planned), does that mean that is does not run for 40 hours but less?

Rob

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
fleegs: Assuming you mean the Aeon, if it ran for less than 40 hours I would have indicated as such in the specs.

tpchan: Short of using an integrating sphere your question cannot be answered definitively. Is there a particular flashlight that you have in mind that you would like a comparison of low modes against? Then maybe I or one of the folks who already own an Aeon could see how it compares for you. As a general description, the Aeon is bright enough in low mode to allow you to see well in the dark without severely compromising your night vision after you turn the light off.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Enrique. Precisionworks seems to have estimated the lumens on low at around 12L and that's a good enough answer for me. I was looking for something much lower than that number, like 1L or less, similar to a Ra-Twisty or a 120P. My BitZ is what I wanted to compare against the Aeon and it has a low around 3 or 4 lumens and I still find that too bright for maintaining my night vision.

StanTeate

Enlightened
Enrique, you continue to share your arts of work and I, for one, appreciate it. Thank you!

1. The threading between on/off, low, and high is perfect. There is deliberate spacing between each setting. It would be hard to accidentially turn it on or choose a wrong setting.
2. I see NO defects in the HA Natural.
3. The size works well for one handed operation, in my hand anyway.
4. Beam throw and volume is excellent for it's size, low could be lower but I'm not complaining.
5. Packaging is eye catching.

Note: I thought the use of Bronze/Al in the CR2 Ion, was ingenious; added distinction and class w/o breaking the bank, like Ti. Hope it returns as an option.

StanTeate

tnuckels

Enlightened
Note: I thought the use of Bronze/Al in the CR2 Ion, was ingenious; added distinction and class w/o breaking the bank, like Ti. Hope it returns as an option.

+1 for the use of Aluminum Bronze (Al/Br)! :candle:

I too am hoping to see its comeback as a material in Enrique's lights. I pestered him a while back about this in the "Now Available" thread for the titanium Aeon. Turns out there would have been some made except for a slipup at the foundry resulting in the raw material not being shipped. Unfortunately, Enrique has indicated no future plans for making lights in Al/Br. If I read him right though, "no future plans" doesn't equal never, just no plans at this point in time. Additional posts showing an interest in this material can't hurt the cause …

When I worked at a scrap yard as a youth I recall that Al/Br was used a lot in bushings, and IIRC ship's propellers. It's was used in bushings because it has something of a self-lubricating, low friction quality. You could actually feel its slipperiness by running your hand or a fingernail across it. I'm not exactly sure about its use in propellers. Anyway, it's on the heavy side, but its smoothness and as you say classiness more than make up for that, IMO. At least you'll know if ever it tries to slip out your pocket.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
StanTeate: Thanks for the kind words. :)

As for aluminum bronze, tnuckels correctly states that "no plans" does not preclude it from ever happening again, but I will say that no one should hold their breath for such a run happening anytime in the near future; it's simply not in the cards right now. My primary focus are the existing Aeons, and the new things I have planned for the future.

Another set of lights is now in the hands of the post office, folks, you should be receiving them by week's end. :D

-Enrique

(Aluminum Bronze is used in ship propellers because it is a fairly strong alloy and rather resistant to corrosion[tarnishing is different from corrosion], which makes it a decent metal for marine applications)

StanTeate

Enlightened
I did not mean to imply a recent time frame for any kind of action. I liked the bronze/al metal and if you ever are presented with the opportunity and are find you would like to make another run, it would be a nice addition. I would be willing to sell the Aeon I have now for the opportunity to get one made of Br/Al. Again, I emphasize that I am quite happy with the one I have now.

Stan Teate

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would pass on the Al Aeon to a friend, or family member and keep the CuAl one for myself :) .

StanTeate

Enlightened
An even better answer. I would have visitation rights when family member visits or I visit them. Did i mention that the machined quality is tops and I really like this light?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know that all colored light orders will be shipping out of here tomorrow afternoon. :)

-Enrique

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

For a while many of the versions of the Aeon were unavailable on the website, as of now all colors are available and the stock of titanium units has been replenished with new parts.

-Enrique