The BADDEST leadlight 105 ever pot at 73mw

Davidgojr

Newly Enlightened
Re: The BADDEST leadlight 105 ever

That would be amazing to get that kind of conversion rate. It would be good to see some pics and vids!

deezdrama05

Enlightened

Well the verdict is in - The diode in this unit is damaged- One of the legs was damaged when re-assembling after resistor swap and the leg became loose and the tiny wire inside the LD must of became severed. Corona was kind enough to test the diode and driverboard. Good news is that the awesome crystal set from my pointer is still fully functional. I believe the original diode in this unit was just a standard 250mw diode. He has a LD from a 110 unit. Anyone know if they are the same output rating as the 105 diodes??? Hopefully a new LD and some decent collimation will get that baby powered up to close to original outputs. Ill keep everyone up to date and hopefully
Corona will get life breathing back into this pointer and maybee be nice enough to post some pics.

Corona

Enlightened

Well, it's fixed, sort of. I replaced the dead LD with one from a Vital 110, but set the current to a more survivable 350mA. Measurement on my LED power meter indicates approx 75mW, although that could be off by 20% or more.

It does pop a red balloon in a couple seconds (I'll post a vid clip, left the camera at home today). I'll be sending the pointer back to deezdrama05 today as well. While I still have two fully functioning retinas. Reflections off this thing are very very dangerous...

IMO, it's all in the crystal set on this one. It is remarkably more efficient than any other I have seen (only about a dozen though), a few 105s, and several 110s from Atlas and Vital. I did no LD rotation peaking, just screwed it down and soldered it back together and WOW time to burn stuff ahahahaa :D

I put in a total of about 3 minutes ON time...waiting to hear what deez will do with it when he gets it back (anybody think that 350mA setting will be changed?)

deezdrama05

Enlightened

Awesome! Just read you email, glad this badboy is functional again. So is the 110 tube you put it in a better fit then that super snug 105 tube-body? I will probablly leave it alone for awhile but eventually i will get in there and mess with diode collimation and maybee turn up a few extra mA of current.....j/k or am I??? hehe thanks again bro!

Oh yeah- to all you unbelievers........told you it was the baddest leadlight 105 ever- Hehe- naw.. just a super efficient set of crystals

Athoul

Enlightened

Glad to hear you were able to get it repaired! Hopefully we can see some pictires soon :D

Corona

Enlightened

Pictures then. Static photos (beam shots etc) didn't turn out as all that impressive; but I hooked up my old rotating mirror lissajous figure setup and here's a couple of them. Comparing a "stock" ~5mW pointer to the ~75mW beast. These are frames snatched from a video clip I took. 5mW first, a cloverleaf pattern

5mW_clover.gif

And the beast, same pattern

75mW_clover.gif

Now the 5mW, one mirror stopped

5mW_round.gif

And the beast

75mW_round.gif

The coolest thing I noted on that last one was that I could see the beam trace in the dust in the air (in the photo) as a little corkscrew effect. Way Cool.

By the way, the barrel was not machined for a 9mm diode; a standard (200mW?) LD was installed. 75mW from a 200mW pump diode makes sense with a (really good!) crystal set conversion factor of about 35%. Probably the dead diode was a 250-300mW unit; I have also not yet seen any 5.6mm 808nM LD above 350mW (claimed).

Anyway, they show how much brighter the beam is when moving; this would be a GREAT lightshow laser. I have a set of crappy old slow galvos that for some reason I feel the urge to dig up and start playing with...

Last edited:

deezdrama05

Enlightened

Thanks again man! recieved the units today...very well packaged. So do you think it would damage this crystal set if i ordered a diode in the 300-350mw range if a strict duty cycle was maintained. I just checked it with my LED DMM and came up with 79mw so our setups are pretty close, and just image........ this beast was reading over 400 mA on my LED dmm before i broke the original diode. right now its at half its potential but im going to leave it alone.........................for a while mwaahaaahaaa<----evil laugh

Athoul

Enlightened

It should be ok, but you don't want to risk damaging the crystals with an excessive ammount of energy.

Personally I would keep it as is, it's a very nice find especially since it seems a lot of these lasers are checked before they are shipped.

Last edited:

Bangstrom

Newly Enlightened

Hello world-
Please don't flame me (or point that laser at me ;) for being off-topic--

It might be mechanically impossible to do this, but if your intention was to just zap balloons- could you take the crystals out so that only infrared is emitted? Wouldn't that get the job done quicker? (with more stealth in public too)

ps I just started surfing around for bright green lasers in general and found all this mod talk so now I'm bidding on one on ebay, hope to get a 105 for $20-30. Any reason to go elsewhere? Hope to get it up to 20mW just for kicks. (maybe more..)

And now my on-topic question:
Your laser rocks; have you seen any differences in lot numbers on those packages?

-Bº

bg2vo

Newly Enlightened

Bangstrom said:
Hello world-
,,,, but if your intention was to just zap balloons- could you take the crystals out so that only infrared is emitted? Wouldn't that get the job done quicker? (with more stealth in public too)
Actually the infrared has much more divergence(if same lens is used) than green making it more difficault to zap balloons at distance.

Athoul

Enlightened

Like bg2vo said, the divergnce on IR is much greater then that of 532nm light. Though IR would be better for up close, it will not be as effective over longer distance of even a foot or so.

deezdrama05

Enlightened

Just thought id say this unit is still working great- thanks corona!!
Im going to go buy some rechargeable aaa's today and align the diode and crank up the current a bit. Ill post my results

Corona

Enlightened
Glad to hear it's still whompin' out them photons.

Don't hurt it now! Anxious to hear what you get with a little more current. I would advise charting the power and current and watching for the "knee" in that curve - stay below the knee if you want to keep that diode alive.

deezdrama05

Enlightened
Well I cranked the current to draw 430, The results on my DMM read 124mw for about 5 seconds then drops and stabalizes at around 103mw....with new batteries....but I keep a very strict duty cycle of 30 seconds or less on this beast...............Amazing!

deezdrama05

Enlightened
I dont use the laser much to try and preserve it- but next time i have it apart i will lower the current a bit

tobjectpascal

Banned

After doing the resistor mod on my 105 i was getting 450+ usually i get around 360 - 400 because i can't align the LED up properly, if i move it about at an angle it shows around 100, but when i get it straight it's near 400, but as this camera video shows

http://daynacommunications.com/peak464.avi (800k)

But the strange thing is, this too gets a higher reading the warmer it gets, i noticed this morning after it had reached just 6c in here, it flicked on and off and struggled to get a beam out until i had warmed it up in my hands and then the power just got stronger, i dare not leave it on for too long, then i might damage it....

It was bought as a leadlight 20mw, it looks identical to a 5mw 105 in every way just the pot was up (and i was told this was done in the factory) I could even quote the serial number to confirm it.

http://daynacommunications.com/peak464.avi (800k)

there you have it, peaking at 464, it's not a true DMM so it could be quite a bit lower, but if you look at the other thread i made, it burns plastic, can't light a match though, it starts to burn your skin after about 3 seconds, not a light tingle either, enough to make you want to move your hand away fast.