The chance of EDC failure requiring backup lights

Charles L.

Enlightened
Of the lights commonly discussed on this website, I've only three issues. The switches on two of my L3 Illumination L10C's have come loose, which required me to re-attach them. The third issue is with my most recent light, and hopefully it will be worked out soon.

Otherwise, a list that includes seven Zebralights, five JetBeams (man, those 2010 vintage JetBeams were nice!), four Nitecores, three Olights, three 4Sevens, three (not including the two listed above) L3 Illuminations, two Petzls, two Black Diamonds, one Armytek, one Streamlight and one Peak have worked flawlessly.

Cheap, "no name" type lights -- sure, I've had several fail.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs.

OjpjhMZ.jpg

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Classic! :)

I was reading that before carbide lights, miners used to use flint and steel sparks (among other stuff) for a flash and then work from what they just saw. It's also very portable. I've done the same thing when my solo EDC light died and was fumbling in the dark for the backup.

Apparently, burning candles in a mine isn't a good idea due to oxygen.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Classic! :)

I was reading that before carbide lights, miners used to use flint and steel sparks (among other stuff) for a flash and then work from what they just saw. It's also very portable. I've done the same thing when my solo EDC light died and was fumbling in the dark for the backup.

Apparently, burning candles in a mine isn't a good idea due to oxygen.

That is insane.

If I had to do that I would need to purchase diapers in bulk.

Crazy.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intrinsically safe? What's that?

One of the many reasons that miners didn't live very long. Scary stories and dead parakeets. :(

What you EDC may be more important than you realize, sometimes.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Of the lights commonly discussed on this website, I've only three issues. The switches on two of my L3 Illumination L10C's have come loose, which required me to re-attach them. The third issue is with my most recent light, and hopefully it will be worked out soon.

Otherwise, a list that includes seven Zebralights, five JetBeams (man, those 2010 vintage JetBeams were nice!), four Nitecores, three Olights, three 4Sevens, three (not including the two listed above) L3 Illuminations, two Petzls, two Black Diamonds, one Armytek, one Streamlight and one Peak have worked flawlessly.

And a partridge in a pear tree :)

sorry, couldn't resist, it seemed to fit poetically with your prose!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always make sure to have one main light (TK41, TK45, SX25L2T, or EA4), a back up (D25A2 or Terralux light star 80) and then a plain Ole mag solitaire in my pocket which has gotten me out of binds a few times. I was helping friends track a deer one night and my dad ran the batteries flat in my EA4 right off the bat so we were left with an e21 and their cheap spot light plus a mag xl50. We went three hours with decent light and then we were left with basically candles in what was the worst bunch of brush, thorns, over grown weeds, and trees I have ever been in. That was the night I decided to invest in more quality lights with better runtimes. I have had two nitecore an a eagletac fail on me (both just would not turn on after use even with fresh batteries) but luckily they were not during times of real need. I always have an edc bag with me that has a Coast hp14 as a dedicated emergency light plus 8 extra AAs and typically one or two other lights.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
TG, while you're at it you might start adding Photon Freedom Micros to all your zipper pulls. It's a great thing for a pack to have it's own search light. I keep an extra Photon FM clipped to the keyring in the top inside of my field pack.

You can scotch tape a battery reload to the non-button side. Your baseline backup will be covered. A setup like this weighs practically nothing and now you've got tiny spares to hand out.

man, those 2010 vintage JetBeams were nice!

I hear you on that. Don't know what happened to Jetbeam after that. Did someone retire?