The Color, the throw, the old school look! Thanks FiveMega!

tomthebaker

Newly Enlightened
Just got a complete flashlight from Fivemega. 3D M@G mod. (3) 26650 batteries with adapter tube, FM1909 bulb. I had the wrong batteries at first (protected, needed unprotected), and when I got the right ones, I needed to put a solder bead on the top. Fivemega had thoughtfully included a couple little batteries for this purpose, but they didn't like this battery top, and flew to the side every time.

The beam is beautiful. The color is wonderful. The throw and brightness are perfect. I love all types of lights, including modded LED's, but I'm an old-school man at heart. Plus, I love having a host that looks inexpensive, so I can leave it in my truck and no one will look at it twice. It's stealthy.

2200 incandescent lumens and 35 minute runtime. And a light that makes me say "Aaaah!" after looking at so many LED's.

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
Totally agreed...I like and use LED...but for me, it just lacks character, and I just don't enjoy it at all...

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice setup! You're right about the "aaah" feeling of a good incandescent. After using a lot of LED lights it's easy to forget how far even the simplest incan will throw and the rich colors it will render. The batteries have always been the hitch, but with a good set of rechargeables and some spares you're set.

My M6, A2 and E2E are always close by, ready to walk the dog or just throw a little warm light into a dark corner.

dinokay

Enlightened
Just fired up this puppy with the 1909 and the throw is amazing. The 1909 has become my favorite bulb hands down.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I have 4 1909 lights so this must be my favorite too. Here's 3 of them.
006.jpg

Billy

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
FM's the man!

(Edit) I just got out an old 2D Maglight with a FM reflector and changed the 2 18650s to 2 32650 batteries! This old dog is now a new puppy!

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad you incandescent guys like the mentioned bulb.
I was wondering who else likes and uses this bulb and in what kind of set up. Pictures are appreciated.
Thank you.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this one may seem simple but I bet many folks would never think it would work...

I am able to fit 3 32650s in a 3D Mag for use with the FM1909. That's not a misprint. Normally we would use 26650s because they can recess down into the tailcap of a 3D whereas a 32650 cannot. The key is using an AW 3D incan driver which is shorter than a stock D switch and positioning it a little higher in the tube. The stock tailcap spring is removed of course. Remove the anodizing from the inside of the tailcap and use whatever creative means you can come with to make connection from the cell to the tailcap. It's a tight fit but it works!

So you end up with a stock looking 3D light running an FM1909 off of true 6000mah cells with three brightness levels to choose from. Yep, on high you get 1 hr plus of sweet FM1909 goodness. :candle: