The current letter home from Iraq

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jack - Perhaps we can help you with more than just flashlights. If there are other things you need, let us know, and maybe we can put together some care packages. Feel free to PM.

I am not sure of the logistics of shipping items to where you are, but I assume anything is possible. Take Care, HarryN

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
H,
For the moment Im in good shape. Have a bunch of boxes heading this way from vendors , friends and family.

Very often it's the little things that get noticed.

Got a package from the Lodge Brothers the other day. In it was a bunch of packets of KFC hot sauce. Yeah we have tabasco here but this is just a little different. Most of the troopers here haven't been near a KFC in 11 months. So ever day I take a few to the dining hall and pass them out to people who might like em.

To the troopers it's like geting a coin from a general. A little bit of home in a measured packet.

Here is a link to some of my letters home and photos.

Perhaps you will get some giggels.

http://members.aol.com/HerndonLodge264/chisena.html

What I need is contact.
My thanks to the members here for something to do. I spend the days watching a sat com terminal and it's a reliable bit of electronics.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Jack... thank you for sharing a bit of your world with us. I speak for myself only when I say that it does help a little bit with the feeling of helplessness that sometimes overcomes me when I see and hear about you all over there. It is difficult to sit here and know that you all are putting your lives on the line to make the world a better place for all of us... and there's not a whole lot we can do to help. It does my heart good to know that our little community here in cyber space can help you and yours to feel just a bit more appreciated and give you a sense of "home". Stay safe Jack... and we'll be sure to keep the homefires burning.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Ms Sasha,
Many thanks for your note, you sound like my wife Joanne.

For what it's worth, the troops take the risk, Im cargo. By the rules of war and my contract Im not supposed to have arms here. So when Im out with the troops I tell them that if anything happens to them, I will grab their rifle, and they will be avenged.

Being a non combatant dosen't mean I have to roll over and show bad guys my neck. Iraqi's are a polite pratical people, they would thank me for simplyfing the job before cutting it.

These are religous partisans, not real troops and follow what they think is Allah's law. Real troops have rules and guidelines. These bad guys think we are all infidels and should expire at their wish.

I suspect Allah will have some choice words before sending them to the Islamic edition of hell.

In most war's US troops came up with some nasty slang for the locals. Here it's almost respectful. We call them Hajji's. The Hajj or the once in a life time Islmic trip to Mecca is not a simple thing. It's an effort to be respected.

Another point is we defeated the Army of Saddam, not the citizens. They have been part of a 25 year train wreck.

This is a very tough part of the world to live in w/o US Army logistics.

Local food, water are all suspect. When was the last case of worms or lice you have heard of. Here it's common.

Look at the list of shots I got before this trip. Many bad things. We got warnings for bug based illnesses. Sand fleas and some kind of biting fly cary something that is nearly impossible to treat. Talked to one trooper who was stuck in Walter Reed Army medical center for 6 weeks because of this. The treatment nearly left him as a cripple. It required some kind of semi toxic metal be injected into him to kill off the desease. I don't want this one. That's the hard way to get home.

The wealthy live well and the rest hunt for scraps of wood. I diden't beleive the poverty I saw on the road here. Makes West Virginia look good.

The medics tell me the most common injury is burns from over turned cooking pots. Odd thing. Injured children don't scream much here, like they do in US emergency rooms. It's as if the code of suffering in silence is still in effect from the prior adminstration (Saddam and Co).

The medics and Army Doctor here take very good care of the locals that show up for treatment. There are translators on station with the medics unit to help out.

Islamic women here have a very rough time. One of the things we were warned about is not to look or talk to them unless talked to first. Seems that is a beating offence here under the rules. You develope a trick of looking w/o seeing. Kind of like the homless in any major city. Yes there is something in black on the bench outside the medics unit. I don't want to cause her any trouble, look at something else. Make eye contact with her husband/brother and move on be polite and move on.

For the most part the locals want to trade with us. One of the Hajji mart dudes runs the smoke shop section. He did me a favor, found a tailor who fixed a shirt. Last week I gave him a bottle of this nice Italian Iced Tea we get. The people of the Hajji mart take it as a sign of special favor if we give them something. Iced tea is a good one, it's ok under the rules of Islam.

What most AMCITS don't connect with is the rules of Islam are also survival rules in this part of the world. It's a code of conduct that allows civilized life to go on. Think about it.

Many thanks for the note and the use of this system.
Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, I am at once slightly envious of you (you're actually doing something in Iraq, your actual job it seems), and glad that I'm heading off to Camp "Cotton Candy" with my own room, cable tv (even if AFN), and just 12 hours days of guard duty. I'd still rather have been doing either of my MOS's though. 11B or 21B. Let me kick in a few doors, or blow something up.
Keep up the permethrin treament on your DCU's, you don't want to get that "Bagdad boil" I saw pictures of before we left the states. That's some nasty looking stuff. Makes you look back fondly at the wharehouses or tents in Kuwait I'm guessing.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
U,
Greetings from Iraq.

One thing to remember. Im a 'fat assed civilian'.
I spend six days a week, ten hours a day waiting for the Satcom unit to take a dump. So far it hasen't. We had a network outage the other day on the data side of the house. What a zoo. Helped out where I could. Improvised some scope probes to check the crypto boxes. Answered phones, and stayed the heck out of the way otherwise. The bug was caused by a higher unit, they sent us some bad crypto data. That's twice now this crap has happened. The digital guys don't get training in troublshooting and start to panic and push buttons.

We don't get DCU's , our work uniform is golf shirts and jeans. For bug control Ive set up a bug net over the bunk, and have a supply of spray on DEET things. Im more worried about scorpians or camel spiders.

Kuwait was a 'holding area', and had the feeling of being a part on a shelf waiting for the order to move.

Ive never heard of 'cotton candy'. Sounds a lot better than this place. Scania is about as much fun as playing in a cat litter. We are talking to KBR who has a Hajji connection for a tv dish package. Time will tell. I would love to have some privacy and a private 'container' on my own. Fortunatly most of my tent mates are cool. Im the only non vet in the crew. Adapted rather well under the situation.

We live in tents here. Currently have a classic Army problem. One of the PX dudes is living with the ITT crew. This guy has a problem, his feet reek! A total air dis-freshener. Im thiniking of some way to get more outside air into the tent to blow out the stench.

So Army life has it's moments. Waiting for vacation with the wife in europe.

Hope all is well
Good luck to you.
Keep it warm
Jack in Iraq

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting to see a camel spider. I just want to see it from a distance.
By Camp "cotton candy" I was meaning an easy location. I'll post the actuall name later on when there is no worry about security and all that stuff. Never know when some bored butter bar in CI (or Haji) is checking up on things.
Oh, see if you can still get some permethrin, that stuff is great for everything except the scorpions and spiders. You can treat your cot and mattress, as well as your netting. You might have to have someone from the states send you some though. Unless you have a hookup in supply that can get you the issue stuff. If so, there is also a wash in treatment for clothes that lasts through about 60 washings.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
U,
My turn to feel like an Idiot. Asked a few of the troopers where camp 'cotten candy' was, some said it might be near Baghdad. Remember from the film Resivor Dogs how one guy diden't like the name Mr Pink. He wanted a cool name. How many snake names are here. Annaconda, and Adder. Cotton Candy diden't sound so far off the mark. Anyhow......

Do a web search for camel spiders. They are nasty ugly things about the size of a drink box. That's a big bug.

As for the bug spritz, KBR has the laundry service, I can't add anything to it. Will check with the MP quarter master for the chemical. Got a real good way of hanging the bug net over the cot. Some scrap wood, parachute string and wire to bind the wood to the rack. It's actually rather sturdy and it allows me to use the net as a curtin I can draw it back for changing the sheets and stuff. See what a little mechanical know how can get ya. Temps here have been between 90 and 100 F. Not bad if you keep up on you fluids.
That's the news of the day.
Ive posted a more recent letter you might get some chucks from.
Keep it warm
Jack Crow in Iraq