The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusakugo

Newly Enlightened
Iconically the Mag 6d cell because it was my first real power flashlight 15 years ago.

More practically,
4sevens quark 123 miniX
4sevens turbo X
Fenix ed01
Hds ra rotary

For serious power
4seven maelstrom s18
Olight m51

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Alright, busy over the holidays but finally got around to getting this thread updated.

All votes counted as of here!

Well as an old timer, how about:
ARC LSH-P
ARC 4+
HDS EDC Ultimate 60GT
Gatlight V3
These in their day were the best and arguably the most advanced lights at the beginning of the LED revolution.
ARC started my interest in torches and by the time Lumencraft went quiet, I had moved on.
It's too easy now, and I miss those interesting times.

*with the exception of these ARC votes... To be honest, Ive never owned one and these were before my days. I need to do a touch of research and figure out the best way to count these ARC models. Ill do that soon!

Thanks to all that have voted!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

Thanks for the update.

I've got 6 of the Top 10 :party:

I-BEAM

Newly Enlightened

My don't-leave-home-without-light is the JetBeam JET-1 Pro which I've EDC'ed, in my right front jeans pocket, everyday naturally, since I purchased it March 2010, that's almost 2 years folks. I've got an UltraFire Lithium battery in it for extra bizazz, and carry a spare battery always. It's one of the early ones that tailstands on it's back rubber switch cap, so it's trickily precarious. The new ones don't have that problem. The HA-III anodizing is just amazing, It barely shows any signs of wear after all this time. I sent one to my son about 6 months later. He was pretty much a CR2 Surefire Snob, but was immediately won over to the AA and the Jetbeam, it's pretty hard to beat. I use mine every day. Ok, Ok, today I used it to replace the power supply in my PC.

Moderator: Please repost this all over-the-place, in all of those "what are you doing right now threads", I need more posts so I can buy a Malkoff that's back in stock. Thanks! ;-$)

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

Thanks for the update.

I've got 6 of the Top 10 :party:

Youre welcome!

I have 6 of the top 10 as well now that the LX2 beat out that over-rated LF2XT :devil:

My don't-leave-home-without-light is the JetBeam JET-1 Pro which I've EDC'ed, in my right front jeans pocket, everyday naturally, since I purchased it March 2010, that's almost 2 years folks. I've got an UltraFire Lithium battery in it for extra bizazz, and carry a spare battery always. It's one of the early ones that tailstands on it's back rubber switch cap, so it's trickily precarious. The new ones don't have that problem. The HA-III anodizing is just amazing, It barely shows any signs of wear after all this time. I sent one to my son about 6 months later. He was pretty much a CR2 Surefire Snob, but was immediately won over to the AA and the Jetbeam, it's pretty hard to beat...

I guess Im also a "surefire snob", but for a AA form factor light, I agree with you and do love to EDC my Jet 1 Pro (but the V3 in warm). With a OP reflector its got a smooth beam, decent reach, great tint, and a solid IBS interface. And I run 14500's too for the "extra bizazz'! I dont carry it nearly every day, but I do take it with me nearly every time I anticipate needing a handsfree light as the clip makes it great to clip to the brim of a cap.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

For me:

4Sevens Quark AA
Zebralight H51w
4Sevens Preon Revo

I'm a big fan of single cells for EDC size, common batts, Eneloops, low lumen modes and looonnnngggg runtimes.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
My votes and irrefutable reasons :laughing:
------

1) Must have EDC.

Thrunite Ti w/firefly mode.

60 lumens, and 0.04 lumens for nighttime aventures that won't wake you up fully or someone else,
and the knurling is --super grippy-- and so easy to twist on/off with one hand

2) Must have all rounder.

Zebralight H600W headlamp

Many output levels, BRIGHT, or extra extra dim moon mode, 10 different ways to wear or carry this light.

3) Must have self-defense, kubotan, home, weapon use, hog hunting

Klarus XT-11

Cost effective, extremely well built, BRIGHT, very low low mode, dual switch and instant access to disorienting strobe,
multi-battery dual-spring, and costs less and has better switch (IMHO) than others in same category.

4) Must have military or rescue

ANY of the usual SureFire suspects.

These have so many mods, tweaks, clips, options, aftermarket parts...that if you really
need to use a light as though lives depend on it, on a daily basis...a SureFire leaves the door
open to everything you might expect to do with it and mod it for about any application in
air, land, or sea.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that a maker like Malkoff will be under represented in this sort of survey due to the number of dropins and options available.
I'd love to list HDS Rotary but I'm still waiting on it.

And I would sell these, or give them away, and immediately replace them with a new one.

Must have:
Zebralight H51Fc
Malkoff M31WL
Photon II

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have expressed my love for the Fenix P2D/PD20 and have been counted.

I would like to add the Quark. In this case a 123 R5 with no clip. It gets both WAY lower and noticeably Higher than the P2D Q5.
However there is more bumps after click to get to useful light.

So my Daylight carry is still P2D. Quark is GREAT after dark!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote for Must-Have's:
1) 4Sevens Quark AA
2) iTP A3

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
ARC AAA

EDC1.JPG

Shown with set props from the upcoming movie "John Carter"

jcMoviechain.jpg

http://disney.go.com/johncarter/?cmp=wdsmp_jcm_EMC_120206_JC_logo_Extl#/characters

Last edited:

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I love this forum because of threads like these. Being an old schooler and having been around when the peak led technology was a bunch of nichia type LEDs crammed into the head of a flashlight. threads like these really take me back. surprisingly I haven't edcd a sure fire in years. I guess that's how far the industry has progressed. Well, my two cents would be the lights I never really stopped edcing. I'm still surprised these still hold up well against current technology. The first is the jetbeam jet 2 IBS. Jetbeam hasnt really made a light this great in a while. This light really is a best all rounder it has three user defined levels with selectable brightness or strobe frequency and has an adjustable/focusable beam as well as a removable head with the led mounted on a flat non-recessed surface. Till this day there is no better area light than a jet 2 with the head removed. The only drawbacks are it didn't come with a lockout tail cap. I pirated one from the following iteration of the jet 2. Secondly it still comes from the generation where LEDs were driven hard enough to seriously get hot. So running it on its max setting for extended periods are only recommended on snowy nights. My second nomination is the novatac which is still on my keychain. The output is still decent although doesnt hold up as well as the jetbeam. But I still think there is no better UI than novatacs. I still love the ingenuity of the UIs ability to access all modes on an electronic switch. Plus it was one of the first lights to pioneer sub one lumen moonlight mode. I do have to give nitecore huge accolades for heartily beating the novatacs moonlight output with its IFE series. The third light that's been with me for quite a while is the zebralight. Although I don't carry the original anymore i have never stopped EDCing some iteration of zebralight. I still have a ton of the original zebralights and love the progress they've made in their UI which is also one of the all time greats. I've always carried a zebralight because there just isn't any angle light that can compete with it. It's a must have due to its hands free clipability. Another light I use daily is my mag light 6d with terralux tle drop in. It's extremely bright and a great self defense tool. Although the thickness of the body seems to be deteriorating through each successive generation. Two good whacks to a pole around the middle of the body will tear it in half. Really hoping some manufacturer would make a better one but i know there really isn't a big market for really long flashlights. By the way anyone know if you could use 3 extra fenix connectors on their tk70 for a 6d size light and the actual 2200 lumen output on alkalines? Lastly I always carry a quark AA, my hands down choice for a AA light and a maelstrom. The x7 is just a fantastic light plus I love 4sevens because the forum actually had a hand in changing the x7s UI.

Last edited:

lws

Newly Enlightened
SureFire-6P for a lot of us, at least back when this was it, it is probably what lit the 'fire'

ARC LS-in its many variations, though the progress thru the models updating was exciting (and expensive). I think both of these were responsible for my addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.