The fun of reorganizing a PC

was_jlh

Enlightened
Right, but I'd like him to post his modules list so that we can try adding parameters to his sound options.

Joe

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have learned that it is very easy to replace a HDD under Linux. I installed clean on my new one just to run through the install portion again and then mounted the old drive amd copied my /home over and was back running again.

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
was_jlh said:
Right, but I'd like him to post his modules list so that we can try adding parameters to his sound options.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my ignorance Joe, but where might I find a list of modules?

Also -- yes I did that search on google. I didn't find much, perhaps two decent pages. Take the first page of results for example. The only ones that could possibly be useful are the first one and the one from linuxquestions.org. The latter is a very technical description of installation. Now I'd like to say that I've had quite a bit of experience in computers. I'd also like to say that I know what to do from that webpage, but unfortunately all of that 'experience' has been in Windows and I'm a rather confused newb right about now.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Luke, see my post from yesterday afternoon.

/etc/modules.conf

You want to try to PM me? I ~think~ it will come thru to my yahoo acct.

Going to work on the car, back later.

Joe

LukeK

Enlightened
Contents of modules:

alias eth0 8139too
alias sound-slot-0 snd-cmipci
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcd
above snd-cmipci snd-pcm-oss
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

Charles -- I'm rather sure ALSA is installed. When I use the KDE Sound System config tool it shows that ALSA is running right now.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Luke, got your msg. If this continues, I may want you to send me an email address or IM name so that we can continue more fluently.

Going from memory, syntax ~may~ not be correct.

Add a line to modules.conf like this:

options snd-cmipci speakers=4

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll see if I come across any other ideas.

Joe

LukeK

Enlightened
Well if you use AIM my nick there is LukeKAIM
I also have MSN if you'd rather

LukeK

Enlightened
I just added the options line to my modules.conf file and rebooted. Unfortunately there is no change as of yet.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Bummer, will look some more and reply later. Are you logged on AIM now?

LukeK

Enlightened
Yeah I'm logged on now. I had about a 5 minute break from AIM after I did something kinda stupid. I'll tell you about it later. Anyhow hopefully I'll talk to you on AIM soon.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
LukeK, One thing you do need to do, is bring up a Mixer and turn up the volume that way. Volume is turned way down by default. You need to go into Control Center (not Mandrake Control Center), which is under Configuration. Once it is up, you will see Sound, down near the bottom, between Security and System. This is where you configure your sound system.

LukeK

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip Charles -- I checked Aumix and all of them were at reasonable levels. (CD and Line In etc. were turned down to 0 but turning them up had no effect unfortunately)

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm. Sooner or later we will figure this out. I have no problems with sound, as my SB PCI 128 is supported by Mandrake. Even the sound chip on my mobo is supported (AC 97)

On another note, I got my cd burner working in mandrake. just had to comment out 2 lines in fstab. Those guys on www.mandrakeusers.org are very helpful.

LukeK

Enlightened
Yeah Joe, I will be emailing you very soon. I got caught up with some other things this afternoon and forgot to send it.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Nothing rec'd this morning, will check back after church.

Joe

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee motherboard via eBay (box opened to photograph mobo and accessories). In one of the emails, I mentioned this is for my future Linux box, and found out the seller uses Redhat 9.0.

I am going to put an Athlon XP3000+ 333FSB cpu in it, the full 4 GB DDR ram, and a nice openGL 1.4(+) 8x agp card in it, along with a pair of large ata133 hdds, and do-it-all dvd/cd burner that is supported by mandrake.

Unfortunately, it will take me about a year to get all the parts for the linux box, due to my fixed income. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This will be my internet connect system, and I will be doing some 3D CGI on it. Hence the need for that much RAM.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles, I'm just wondering how in the world you've arrived at trusting a motherboard with such an unheard of name. I've never had the guts to go with anything beyond the standard Dell, Apple, etc big names, but I'm intrigued that it'd be possible to build something that actually works. I'm also very impressed with the Athlon speeds reported by the folks who tried the super_pi thing in that thread. But with bus speeds in the 500MHz range these days, and processors working so very fast I can't imagine how a company without a gazzilion dollars in R&D can possibly design a motherboard for today's computers. Aren't speeds these days so high that designs need to account even for quantum tunneling?

I'm so very tempted to build-my-own, but I'm just so very pessimistic that it'd actually work better and/or be less expensive than a Big Name PC once I got it all together. Hmmmmm.

Oh well. More to research, I guess. And I'm sure you did a lot of research on m-boards before you bought. I'm just saying that I don't understand how it's possible for such a perhaps small company...