The last one to turn off the incandescent...

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a Leef 2x 18650 E head/C tail body, stuck a LF EO-E2R lamp in it and have taken this puppy out for a walk late in the evening along a walkway which at times is heavy with trees on both sides, felt like Robin Hood in Sherwood forest......the combination of the E head reflector design and the .85A lamp gave me much pleasure along this walk.....more than enough flood with tons of run time.......tried one of my LED's and then kept it in my pocket for the rest of the walk.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no need to get offended by fact. It doesn't mean that just because you prefer incan that you're not as good as someone who uses LED. No one here is implying that. We're simply stating facts and trends. Hope you don't get too offended by this.

Not at all, what gave you the impression I was offended? How could I be offended in a discussion about lighting.

I take issue with the implication stated basically as fact that a person is constantly running through batteries and bulbs with incan, when I know this to be a complete falsehood. As far as your depth perception and the quality of LED lighting as perceived by you, I don't know what you see, because I'm not you, but I know what I see when I compare the two, and it's not very favorable for LED. :)

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
For depth perception there are four categories of cues; monocular, binocular, oculomotor and inferred. One monocular cue is color vision. For a demonstration of how this works go to This Monet Painting. There is a slide control on it that allows you to adjust color saturation. When all the color is subtracted the painting appears flat. As color is added the painting appears to have more depth in relation to the amount of color added. Your mileage may vary.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a painting you don't get the benefit of most other depth perception cues. For example, when you move while looking at a painting your view of a closer item does not change more than a distant item.

Painters sometimes use color to show distance. For example, mountains in the distance have a blueish tint. Closer items have warmer colors. Removing color all together eliminates this visual cue. However, using an LED does not eliminate color.

sappyg

Enlightened
WOW..... this is a great thread....
i've been thinking about this topic since it was origionally posted. last night in my garage i had a P90 in one hand and a cree R2 in the other. after running both (as if tasting wine), my subjective test seemed to show that the R2 did not wash out color. if anything it tended give the correct color rendition of various objects. the P90 tended to add a yellow hew to the same objects yet was somehow more pleasant in total darkness.
i haven't ran them side by side in quite a while. i like them both. i'll buy more of each.
having read some of the other posts i think that the market will eventually decide the matter. joe blow six pack does not care about incan verses LED. the masses will buy what the market will offer at the cheapest price point. clearly LED will win out eventually. maybe it has already.
for those of us here some of us will always keep an incan around. i will. incans have a lot going for them.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art Vandelay -

I see that you not only checked out the painting but went to the trouble of reading some of what the site reveals about painter's techniques. Thank you.

In a painting you don't get the benefit of most other depth perception cues. For example, when you move while looking at a painting your view of a closer item does not change more than a distant item.

True. The focus is on color vision as a cue for depth perception not other cues for depth perception.

Removing color all together eliminates this visual cue. However, using an LED does not eliminate color.

It's not an all or nothing proposition. It's relational.

Warm whites do fairly well at color rendition. The Malkoff I have is much better than some of my other LEDs in CRI. The Nichia high CRI 083 seems to be quite good at it. It's well known that many popular white LEDs are deficient in some spectra such as royal blue, light blue to cyan and reds in the 630nm + range. In many (Q5 included) white LEDs there is a large spike in blue peaking around 440nm. This heavy blue overtakes some of the other weaker colors further delimiting them. With some colors so weak they are not detectable or barely detectable in the light source the image return will not include those colors. This compromises the color vision cue which compromises depth perception. These "missing' colors being present and accounted for in an incandescent light source aids and enhances depth perception.

That's the how and why of it.

Back to perception and perspective. Here's how you know that incandescent light does help my depth perception: I said so. Here's how I know that incandescent light does not help your depth perception: You have indicated this is so. All perspectives are valid.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an opportunity to take the Air Force pilot vision tests years ago and did very well. I did not join or become a pilot. I took the the "Framing Game" test on that site you provided. Two thumbs up. Cool site. Thanks.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you guys considered the effects of mild to moderate color blindness? I don't know how this affects the issue, but I have to believe it does. And I suspect a good number of people don't realize they have mild color blindness.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
These guys where just a little miffed about not getting any props in this thread so I told them if they would give me an interview I would publish a photo of them. They explained that they don't generally EDC flashlights and if they did they would have no use at all for my Mag85. One of them showed some interest in my Draco.

It seems that they prefer natural lighting over artificial. For dinner time they prefer the light of dusk. Something about how the tender vegetation and seeds that are used in the big salad look nicer at that time of day.

IMG_1903.jpg

iapyx

Enlightened
Have you guys considered the effects of mild to moderate color blindness? I don't know how this affects the issue, but I have to believe it does. And I suspect a good number of people don't realize they have mild color blindness.

There is actually a thread about colour blindness. Let me try to find it for you. Posted a message in the thread myself since I am mildly colour blind.

will edit this post as soon as I have found the thread....

edit: can't find it yet. The post I did there was about colourblind people adapting quicker to darkness than people who are not colourblind.

edit #2, found it:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2146828#post2146828

edit #3, to put this thread back on track: I actually have one LED [SF U2]and several Incan flashlights. Use both of 'm so for me incan is still 'on'.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that is beautiful. Where is that?
That's a spot where the Arkansas River pushes a finger into the land, meanders about in a very slow moving circle then empties back into itself. What you are looking at is where the finger feeds a small bayou. The little island tree would be visible if the camera were pointed twenty degrees to the left. The main river is about 3/8 of a mile in the direction the geese are looking. The flow of the water is right to left maybe 1 mile an hour on that evening. Many different kinds of critters are in that area. One of my favorite are armadillo. At night they'll walk right up to you, sniff around a bit, then waddle away sniffing at what ever catches their attention.

There are supposed to be alligator in the area. I've never seen one and none of the other fishermen have seen any on the north side of the river...but ya never know.

Latest posts