the Maglite ML50L

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I don't think a side switch would work on the Mini Mags, but a tail switch would be great and I'm sure many people have been asking Mag for one for many years, but so far they have not gone that route even though many after market tail switches have been sold by other companies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have one of those NiteIze clickys on a NiteIze'd minimag.

Don Keller worked for Tony back in the early minimag idea days and wanted to see a clicky. Never happened so when he left he did a Brinkmann version with a clicky. It had a big ole squishy thing on the end and a twist to lock out feature that "locked" the button instead of cutting the circuit. Dang nice design. But when Brinkmann wanted to go overseas for manufacturing Don split.... or maybe when Don split they did or something... I forget which.

There was also a short lived Don Keller company called Sigmalite that did a clicky.

One of the virtues of the minimag is it's switch. But I never grew comfortable with the Pro version hi/lo method. I have (or had I forget) one stashed somewhere.

What drew me to the ML25 was the potent output in a jumbo minimag platform. Absolutely amazing brightness for a sub 200 lumen flashlight. And the 3 cell version runs a good long time.

My 2cell ML50 has gone from hanging by the door to coffee table use. In my home that makes it a go-to light as traffic tends to pass by the coffee table often, so when someone needs a flashlight "viola, there's one on the coffee table."

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those NiteIze clickys on a NiteIze'd minimag.

Don Keller worked for Tony back in the early minimag idea days and wanted to see a clicky. Never happened so when he left he did a Brinkmann version with a clicky. It had a big ole squishy thing on the end and a twist to lock out feature that "locked" the button instead of cutting the circuit. Dang nice design. But when Brinkmann wanted to go overseas for manufacturing Don split.... or maybe when Don split they did or something... I forget which.

There was also a short lived Don Keller company called Sigmalite that did a clicky.

One of the virtues of the minimag is it's switch. But I never grew comfortable with the Pro version hi/lo method. I have (or had I forget) one stashed somewhere.

What drew me to the ML25 was the potent output in a jumbo minimag platform. Absolutely amazing brightness for a sub 200 lumen flashlight. And the 3 cell version runs a good long time.

My 2cell ML50 has gone from hanging by the door to coffee table use. In my home that makes it a go-to light as traffic tends to pass by the coffee table often, so when someone needs a flashlight "viola, there's one on the coffee table."

I remember those Brinkmans, looked just like Mini Mags with big squishy tail cap switches....if I remember right Streamlight also made something like that for a while.

I agree about the ML25's I use mine as a go to light around the house., but I also like the Mini Mag Pro Plus. I guess Mag figures that if it ain't broke they might as well stick with the time proven twisty that so many of us are used to and like, but a tail cap switch option would still be nice (which is one of the reasons I would like 1AA and 1C versions of the XL50 or XL200 with the electronic switch like on the 3AAA versions and the Mag Tac).

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I think of it I had one of those squishy tailcapped Brinkmans, I don't remember what happened to it, but I do remember that there was something about it I did not like......proably some of the same things kbOrrg mentioned in his CPF review way back in 2001:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?704-Brinkmann-Legend-2AA-Review

This review reminded me about the Brinkman Nexstar bulbs, I used to get these for my incan Mini Mags because they were noticeably whiter and brighter than the old Mag krypton bulbs, in fact they even seem a little brighter than the newer xenon Mag bulbs.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a 2C ML50L for $25 tonight at our local Home Depot.

It does have a nice spot, but it really doesn't have a flood mode, just a bit larger spot, as shown in several above photos. I'd prefer that it actually had a good flood to go with the nice spot.

I like to the stock UI, though it takes me a while to locate the recessed switch.

The tint is a nice white.

Overall, I like it much better than the old incandescent Mags.

I much prefer the spot through flood beam profiles of my Coast Polysteel 600 (4AA),p which appears to throw about the same, but has a larger hot spot, but the ML50L would make a much better hammer substitute than the Coast.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something about the side switch for mellow use, (around the house, walking the dog etc) that is more natural and comfortable. ML50L plus the small Zebralight I had show me the benefits of that style light over the tail clickies. I still like a tail clicky and a twisty, but comfort wise I think the side button is best.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree that side switch is way more comfortable, just difficult to locate on the larger lights.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a 2C ML50L for $25 tonight at our local Home Depot.

It does have a nice spot, but it really doesn't have a flood mode, just a bit larger spot, as shown in several above photos. I'd prefer that it actually had a good flood to go with the nice spot.

I like to the stock UI, though it takes me a while to locate the recessed switch.

The tint is a nice white.

Overall, I like it much better than the old incandescent Mags.

I much prefer the spot through flood beam profiles of my Coast Polysteel 600 (4AA),p which appears to throw about the same, but has a larger hot spot, but the ML50L would make a much better hammer substitute than the Coast.

$25 is a good deal for a ML50! I didn't know HD was selling 'em that cheap.

I find the switch is a little easier to access on the D cell ML300.