The Missing 2AA Headlamps

Charles L.

Enlightened
Re: But I Want Overkill!

2 AAA lights tend to be pretty weak. If you're looking for lighter than the Storm, I'd check out its cousin the BD Spot or the Zebralight H52 series of 1 AA lights.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
+1 for the Spark SD52. Sadly, I don't use it too often but the key reason I bought it was for combination of output and added runtime, as stated by a couple of the responses. And, although it seems bulky, I don't notice it that much when I'm wearing it on my head.

I have to admit that I tend to reach for my ZL H52Fw first.

I also find 2xAA easier than 3xAAA which is not only costlier but you always have one spare battery that you have leftover. Also, for headlamps, I have standardized with AA as my primary battery... Along with one 18650 headlamp since I have also tried to standardize with 18650s for my hand-carried lights.

I sort of feel the same as those who mentioned size and bulk being a contributing factor to using a smaller headlamp and, these days, I can't believe that my first headlamp was a Petzl Zoom with those big lithium batteries and my second was a PrincetonTec Apex that was 4xAA. We have come so far since those days!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

dwong

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, my friend just pickup a BD Revolt (same 3 AAA as Spot) from REI, was on clr for 28bucks. I will try it out next time.
For HL, I never need anything more the 30-50 lumens on night hike and house works.

2 AAA lights tend to be pretty weak. If you're looking for lighter than the Storm, I'd check out its cousin the BD Spot or the Zebralight H52 series of 1 AA lights.

Charles L.

Enlightened

Revolt rechargeable capability is very nice and that's a good price. It is supposedly a tad heavier than the Spot (listed at 99g, versus 93 for Spot), and is not as bright (110 lumens versus 160), but sounds like it's bright enough to meet your needs. Have you seen the Outdoorgearlabs 2014 headlamp review? It reviews BD Icon, Spot, Storm, Revolt and many others. Unfortunately it doesn't have some of the favorites you'll hear about here like Zebralight, Armytek or Spark.