• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Nautilus Flashlight Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Coach

Enlightened
Hey Folks,

All the Titanium Nautili have been claimed and the last of them sent to their new owners, hope you all enjoy them. :)

WOOHOO!!!!! :twothumbs

A lot of people asked about a run of an aluminum Nautilus so I decided to go ahead with a relatively small batch to make a version that was a bit more generally affordable.

And once again, my impatience raises up and bites me on the arse. (DOH!!)

Seriously, I'm curious. :thinking: My CR2 ION is made by Photons Int., is this the same company as the one that makes the Nautilus?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
TheCoach: As StuGatz put it, I used to make the CR2 Ion, and now I make the Nautilus. Photons International doesn't exist anymore.

Bill: You've got a Nautilus inbound. :)

Take care folks.

-Enrique

The Coach

Enlightened
I found him. :D He didn't want to give it up, but I made him an offer he couldn't refuse. :poke: Very nice light, worth the wait. Great job Enrique! :twothumbs

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
delete per suggestion from E.M.

my Post was about the wrong version (mine is the non-Ti version) of the Muyshondt Nautilus.

this Thread is about the Ti version.

E.M.,

many thanks for taking the time to point out my faux pas (and for making such a nice flashlight).

sincerely,
pj aka half-watt

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
so, this Muyshondt Nautilus just showed up on my doorstep (ordered from Greg over at BrightGuy.com).

so, what does $185+shipping get you?

a single 8.5"x11.5" sheet of paper with 1yr Warranty Info on one side and a greeting and short letter from Enrique Muyshondt on the other side (along with specs for the Nautilus).

a very small, drawstring closure velour-like pouch for storing the Muyshondt Nautilus.

and, did i forget anything? oh, yes, the Muyshondt Nautilus too.

First Impression: did i read the fine print wrong??? did i order a slightly elongated CR2 light? [good thing i have a spare CR2 cell upstairs in a desk drawer].

quickly unscrewing the head of the light, a nice Duracell CR123A drops out into the palm of my hand. whew!! [i breathe a sigh of relief]. now, i have a better feeling 'bout those claimed runtimes (didn't think, for a moment, that a CR2 powered light would live up to the claims).

the light is so small - only a "hair" longer than a P1-CE. it's shorter than a Fenix L0D-Q5 and appears to have nearly twice the diameter of that AAA powered light. Overall, a very tiny, tidy package. Easy to loose in a large pocket with other objects in it. "Might be a good idea to keep it on a keychain due to its small size", i think to myself.

Next First Impression: absolutely beautiful and flawless construction. $185 should get you that, but then E.M. puts his name on the light and that's even a better reason, by my way of thinking, to insure that the light is gonna' be flawless.

i like the knurling - it's relatively smooth. the light is small and light and doesn't, to me at least, seem to require rougher knurling. PLUS, the twisty operation is SOOOO SMOOOOTH that it definitely doesn't require coarser/rougher knurling.

if i were to compare the "heft"/robustness of the body to another light, i would say that it reminds me a lot of a NovaTac EDC 120P, but much smaller (yes..., i know that they're both 1xCR123A powered). it definitely seems thinner walled than the NovaTac EDC (remember, the NovaTac EDC also has some extra room inside for that spring to fit AROUND the CR123A cell), but it still possesses a feeling of robustness. i don't feel like i have to "baby" this light. Surefire-like robustness comes to mind.

OPERATION: it's a twisty. twist on for LOW. twist, on my light, just over 180deg more (maybe 225deg at most) and HIGH mode is activated. holding the light with the last three fingers and lightly gripping the head with the thumb and index finger of the same hand, it took two "full travel" (as far as my thumb and index finger would "travel", that is) turns to get from just at the point where LOW o.p. mode is activated to where HIGH o.p. mode is activated; three partial "turns" works also to activate HIGH from the exact point at which LOW mode is activated.

LOW is, IMO, a very nicely selected low. Lower than most to my eye. Definitely lower than the LOW mode of my Fenix L0D-Q4. it should appeal to many who wish for a lower low, yet it is still plenty useful for rummaging through a darkened basement/cellar - my only test todate.

HIGH, to my eye is as bright or a bit brighter than a Fenix P1-CE and also appears similar to the PRIMARY mode of a P1D-Q5. The HIGH/TURBO mode of the P1D-Q5 appears brighter. i have no doubts as to the claims of 107lm minimum, as overall, the Muyshondt Nautilus appears, to my eye, to put out more overall light than either of the two Fenix lights i compared it to side-by-side and sequentially. as far as the "spot" goes...

BEAM PATTERN: The spot of these two Fenix lights i used in a side-by-side 20' whitewall comparison were brighter (they both had smooth reflectors), but the overall beam pattern on the Muyshondt Nautilus was much nicer, IMO. at 20' it lights up quite an area. The Muyshondt Nautilus has a DEEP textured reflector. i'll wait for nightfall to test THROW (i'm expecting a lot from such a deep reflector even though it's textured; the reflector is deep like in a NovaTac EDC-series light).

The lanyard ring stows away in the flat stand-up capable tail. it is secured tightly and, on my particular light, shouldn't deploy unless i pry it out. a fingernail is sufficient, but it must be pried loose at the right point (this is easy enough to figure out just by looking at it).

Runtimes: given his reputation, i have no reason to doubt the Mfr. stated burntimes. AW RCR123A cells fit in fine - i tried two different cells. however, i can't find any info on whether or not secondary/rechargeable Li-ion cells are appropriate for use in the Muyshondt Nautilus.

Does anyone know the answer: are RCR123A cells appropriate for use in the Muyshondt Nautilus? Will the boost converter handle the extra voltage (up to +4.2VDC) properly?

[NOTE: sorry, still don't have a camera or logging LUX meter, so no pics or burntime charts.]

This is the 3rd time, in the 3rd different thread that I've read this same message. Maybe you should start a review thread in the Reviews section, if you have plans of continuing to post the same response in every Nautilus thread that's open. Just a freindly suggestion.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the 3rd time, in the 3rd different thread that I've read this same message. Maybe you should start a review thread in the Reviews section, if you have plans of continuing to post the same response in every Nautilus thread that's open. Just a freindly suggestion.

good suggestion. though, i've read some who would similarly chastise others for starting a new Thread when one already exists. now, there's a conundrum ("you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time, as the saying goes").

only after Posting to the first Thread did i find a second and then a thrid.

perhaps the best solution would have been for me to Post once in an existing Thread and link to that Post in the others. 20-20 hindsight.

sorry, to have caused you so much trouble; a thousand apologies.

just curious, was anything in the Post beneficial? if nothing was beneficial to anyone who read it, i can delete them, or at least "blank" them out.

sincerely,
pj aka half-watt.

Walt175

Enlightened
Your twisty is smooth? I cleaned mine and re-lubed, but it's still very rough and it's also hard to turn with 1 hand. I had expected it to be buttery smooth like my FFIII. I'm considering using some lapping compound on the threads to improve it.
Does anyone know if the head can be opened up? I would like to clean some debris off the dome of the led, but I'm afraid to break something.

ETA: After I got home from work I cleaned and re-lubed again. Then I left the battery out and everything was SMOOTH....... Put the battery in again and it got rough. I'm not sure if it's lateral pressure on the threads, or the battery grinding on the negative contact. I did see a ring scratched into the bottom of the battery.
I think if I make the foam thinner it should solve my problem. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carefully sliced about 1/3 off of the foam spacer and it twists smoother. hope this didn't void my warranty:)

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer. Yes, your post was informative. I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

NOT a problem. i'm still relatively new here and appreciate the input from someone like yourself who has been around awhile and seen much more.

thank you for taking the time to Post and also to respond to my reply to you.

many thanks,
pj aka half-watt

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your twisty is smooth? I cleaned mine and re-lubed, but it's still very rough and it's also hard to turn with 1 hand. I had expected it to be buttery smooth like my FFIII. I'm considering using some lapping compound on the threads to improve it.
Does anyone know if the head can be opened up? I would like to clean some debris off the dome of the led, but I'm afraid to break something.

the twisty "action" on my non-Ti Nautilus is very smooth. the required torque to turn the head increases slightly after LOW o.p. mode is engaged though. however, it is not a great increase, nor do i personally find it objectionable.

it really is quite smooth on my particular light.

Status
Not open for further replies.