The new vehicle that I want but they won't sell to me!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
Here we go, a Grand Cherokee comparison. :) :grin2:

ZJ:

WJ:

WK:

I assume you are kidding comparing two Jeeps significantly modified for offroad to a lowered Jeep.

-john

Last edited:

drizzle

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
Here we go, a Grand Cherokee comparison. :) :grin2:

ZJ:

WJ:

WK:
The bottom picture only shows as a link for me and I when I click on the link I'm not allowed to view it, even after registering. :awman:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fixed now.

Of course I'm kidding, but not by much. It takes very little work to turn a solid-axle Jeep into a serious offroad vehicle. The new ones don't adapt very well to that.

drizzle

Enlightened
Well, you got me interested enough to look around the web a bit and I found this Jp Magazine review which has a different opinion of the WK.

It sounds like the same thing is happening to the Grand Cherokee drive train that has already happened to engines. It is better stock than the old ones but harder to mod.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
ZJ:
WJ:
WK:

I'm confused, you mean Jeep kept making 4x4s after the discontinued the CJ5? Nawwwwwwwwwwww! :p

Jeep_CJ5.jpg

JasonD5.JPG

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi wants a Diesel

markdi can be a royal pain

I would like one of those little volkswagen mini trucks with a Diesel engine.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
CJ-5? All these youngsters these days with their rounded fenders... Why, I'll have you know that the CJ-2A was the last real Jeep. :)

Speaking of engines, they killed off the old 4.0 and replaced it with a V6. This is another change that many aren't happy with, since the V6's tourque peak is at a much higher RPM.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano said:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

This should answer some Q's about bringing a car into the "lovely" state of Cali...

--dan

Thanks Dan

That explains a lot but I'm still going to contact the CA DMV since this will be a 45 state vehicle and not a 49 state vehicle.

Knowing how things go at the DMV, I'm going to need full clarification IN writing before spending nearly $40K on a used 2007 with >7,500 miles.

Marty

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do what lots of people do. Have an address in Nevada!!

Did I say that? Is that illegal advice? I couldn't possibly have said that, did I? No, of course not!!

Bill

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
You could do what lots of people do. Have an address in Nevada!!

Did I say that? Is that illegal advice? I couldn't possibly have said that, did I? No, of course not!!

Bill

Bill

Don't even joke. I'm watching COPS on Fox and can only think good thoughts.

jhereg

Enlightened
The link posted earlier appears to have an easy answer. Buy/drive a clunker out of state to buy the car. Blow the engine or otherwise kill it. Buy your replacement vehicle. :grin2:

• Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
I looked at the jeep since it was die-sel, but I want at least 40mpg before I would consider it. I heard vw aint making no more die-sels til 08 cause of a fuel rail redesign. I rather have the vw golf, but hear my local dealer doesnt and wont sell any more.

Just PayPal me the money and I'll buy one here for you and ship it over for you... That along with some IRC lamps which also seems 'illegal' in the US.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel used to be a substantial benefit, but that seems to be decreasing. Not saying that there is not a benefit, but at least locally, there is very little difference between diesel and gasoline price wise anymore although MPG is often improved.

I have been reasonably successful with improving the mileage of my own car with improved tire quality / air pressure, synthetic oil of a lower vis., same in rear end, etc. that for highway driving, the difference might not be worth the trouble. Plus, no diesel noise.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found this out:

Due to California's specific Diesel Fuel Formulation (having a very low sulfur content), vehicle's of model year 2007+ will suffer major engine damage if California Diesel is used in those engines.

-dan

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok here is the short of it. You can burn low sulfur diesel in any diesel engine, but you can not burn regular diesel in a new diesel meant for low sulfur.

It is similar to the unleaded / leaded gas thing. When they took the lead out you could burn either fuel in an old car, but if you had a new one with a catalytic converter you HAD to use unleaded. Same sort of thing with low sulfur diesel now.

I have heard once low sulfur diesel becomes widespread, which is suppose to be this summer, it was suppose to be last summer but Katrina put a damper in that. Anyway once it is the only diesel you can buy they will start selling diesels that can run on low sulfur in all 50 states and they will produce less emissions then they do now and meet all the emission specs in all 50 states This is why VW doesn't want to sell diesels right now because they would have to make two versions, a regular one and one for low sulfur and risk someone doing a road trip and putting regular diesel in it and running the emission system. So they are also waiting until the US gets its fuel straightened out. By the way we are the last of the modern countries to finally switch over to low sulfur diesel.

It is so funny that you can't buy a VW TDI that gets 45mpg because it pollutes too much, yet you can buy a hummer that get 12mpg but is listed as a low emission vehicle. If you look at pollution produced per mile the VW is about 8 times better, it's just crazy...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno about using the Low Sulfur stuff in 2007+ engines. I saw a huge warning on the gas pumps in my town (in Cali.) that said it's against Federal Law to use low sulfur diesel fuel in 2007 and later model year diesels. Then it said in really big letters that engines would be damaged in 2007 and later engines.

I'll check w/a few diesel mechs. i know...

-dan

Brock

Flashaholic
Hummm, my brother is a fuel dispatcher for the Midwest and we talked at length about the low sulfur diesel. He said it has to be backward compatible for all current diesels or all truck are going to have HUGE problems as they travel cross the US. He said he heard they were making a "sulfur" substitute to add to low sulfur diesel, but there is no reason any engine needs sulfur to run again we use the same engine as most of Europe and they only have low sulfur diesel over there.

There might be something to the different emission requirements in different states. But that's is all you need, 2 different grades of diesel to make it even more expensive...

My brother in law said there were about 80 grades of regular gasoline, but only 2 or 3 grades of diesel across the US. So a refinery on the west coast could make diesel to be sold anywhere in the US, while gasoline has to be made locally to match the emission standards for that area or even state.