The Pelican M3 (PM3) 3370 Xenon Thread

rhino465

Newly Enlightened
I just acquired a Pelican M3 3379. Is it the same light as the 3370 discussed in this topic, a similar model, or an update?

I acquired it to replace the old TacStar weapons light I have mounted on an AR, and although I don't have it mounted yet, it's an impressive light. It seems very rugged, the output is impressive (especially compared to any 6V light), and I think it will serve my needs well when I get a remote tapeswitch for it.

For $35, it seemed like a real bargain. My only comparison would be to the Pentagon X3 I have on another gun, which was substantially more expensive, or a similar Surefire 9V, which would be more expensive still. I assumed (D'OH!) the $35 was some kind of clearance price since I couldn't find much information about the 3379, but from reading this topic, it sound like I paid MSRP or close to it.

How can it be so much less expensive than Pentagon or Surefire? Is it a crappy light, or just one of those rare bargains in life?

Thanks!

Rforce1

Newly Enlightened
Have to :bumpit: this. I was all set to get a TL-3, and then I ran across this thread!!! Darn it! So this flashlight has been out for a while now.....what do you folks think who own it? For half the price of a TL-3 I might be convinced to buy it; if it performs similarly. Any new thoughts or opinions would be welcome. Thanks!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumens Factory HO-9 works very well with 2 3.7v batteries in the Pelican M6, and it matches the Streamlight TL-3 in brightness. For throw I only compared at 75 ft. and the Pelican M6 is just slightly brighter than the Streamlight TL-3, but with a broader spot.
Greg said:
Do you all think that possibly the lamp module from this light will fit into the Pelican M6 body and then work with two 3.7V protected CR123 batteries.

If it does, that will be one crazy throw monster in a small package.

Greg

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looking at the numbers, it looks like the TL-3 will have more throw than the PM3, but the PM3 would have a larger hotspot.

Can anyone confirm that the PM3 has true HAIII coating?

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
bulbs/lenses for Pelican M3 (PM3) 3370 Xenon?

New bulb and lens time for mine. Dropped it at work tonight (actually dropped isn't quite the word I was tossing it in the air whilst standing on asphalt and failed to catch it. It didn't light up, I figured I blew the bulb, set it down bezel down on a table, it somehow then turned on and melted the plastic lens and now won't turn on again.:oops:

1. Does anyone know where I can get borofloat lenses for these? I tried one from flashlightlens.com made for an M6 and it didn't quite fit.

2. Anyone try a lumensfactory D26 9series bulb like the HO9 in one of these?

3. Anyone with both one of these and a 9p surefire feel like seeing if a 9p bulb fits inside the assembly? (if this does, I am willing to bet the D26 drop in for the SF9p will)

Thanks again all,
-Pete

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: bulbs/lenses for Pelican M3 (PM3) 3370 Xenon?

1. Does anyone know where I can get borofloat lenses for these? I tried one from flashlightlens.com made for an M6 and it didn't quite fit.
What size lens did you buy? Is the lens too big?

2. Anyone try a lumensfactory D26 9series bulb like the HO9 in one of these?
Does the bezel unscrew? On the inside of the battery tube does it measure 19.5mm? I have the Lumens Factory HO-9 installed in my Pelican M6, but you need to use the larger outer spring which measures 19.5mm O.D.

3. Anyone with both one of these and a 9p surefire feel like seeing if a 9p bulb fits inside the assembly? (if this does, I am willing to bet the D26 drop in for the SF9p will)

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Kat,

1. What size lens did you buy? Is the lens too big?
a. Don't remember what it was supposed to be. Nearest I can tell (using a 1mm increment ruler) it is 29.5 mm.
b. Yes, but just by a hair's breath. Fits fine in the bezel but catches on the threads. Innovation being the the spawn of necessity, I attacked it with a grinder wheel today (by hand). It now fits (even if the edges of the lens are pretty ugly).

2. Does the bezel unscrew? On the inside of the battery tube does it measure 19.5mm? I have the Lumens Factory HO-9 installed in my Pelican M6, but you need to use the larger outer spring which measures 19.5mm O.D.
a. Yes, as does the head and the tail-cap
b. Nearest I can tell (using a 1mm increment ruler and eyeballing), yes, the inside of the battery tube is about 19.5mm

3. On another note, after changing the batteries, it seems I didn't damage the bulb after all, but rather the batteries.(tenergy cr123As). They feel intact, positive ends are secure, no leaks, look normal, but they were not working without what can only be described as a warm-up time (which scared me a bit). Any idea why a drop would cause something like that anyone?

4. I'm just going to go ahead and buy one of the bulbs and try it out. Will report back when it arrives.

-Pete

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just notice your response...I must have missed it somehow. It sounds like it will work. Good luck on this.
Thanks for the reply Kat,

1. What size lens did you buy? Is the lens too big?
a. Don't remember what it was supposed to be. Nearest I can tell (using a 1mm increment ruler) it is 29.5 mm.
b. Yes, but just by a hair's breath. Fits fine in the bezel but catches on the threads. Innovation being the the spawn of necessity, I attacked it with a grinder wheel today (by hand). It now fits (even if the edges of the lens are pretty ugly).

2. Does the bezel unscrew? On the inside of the battery tube does it measure 19.5mm? I have the Lumens Factory HO-9 installed in my Pelican M6, but you need to use the larger outer spring which measures 19.5mm O.D.
a. Yes, as does the head and the tail-cap
b. Nearest I can tell (using a 1mm increment ruler and eyeballing), yes, the inside of the battery tube is about 19.5mm

3. On another note, after changing the batteries, it seems I didn't damage the bulb after all, but rather the batteries.(tenergy cr123As). They feel intact, positive ends are secure, no leaks, look normal, but they were not working without what can only be described as a warm-up time (which scared me a bit). Any idea why a drop would cause something like that anyone?

4. I'm just going to go ahead and buy one of the bulbs and try it out. Will report back when it arrives.

-Pete

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Ok, just got the bulb in the mail today from Pacific Tactical Solutions (Great vendor! Mike was really cool and helpful, great discount).
1. It works!
2. Although it works, it is a bit smaller than the stock reflector assembly so you need to be aware of that when installing batteries. Also, need to use both springs. The first time I did it, it didn't work real well, needed to shake the batteries and such. After I did it a little more carefully, it works great now. I can shake it quite vigorously and no probs. Wouldn't try it for tactical use though. If I throw it at the ground it comes out of alignment half the time and I need to take off the bezel and reset the lamp on the contacts. It should be said that this is only when it takes a pretty severe jolt, I can't make it happen just by shaking it.

Anyways, so there it is. It fits, but not perfectly
Hope that helps
-Pete

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
On second thought, after carrying this around for a few days, I'm going to revise down how well this works. because the EO-9 lamp assembly is shorter overall than the stock Pelican lamp assembly, the head and tail cap need to be tightened to the end of their threads to make it work. It works then, but it can fall out of alignment at random and inconvenient times whereupon it will do things like work when the beam is facing horizontally or up, but not when facing directly down. Sometimes it requires a shake to make it work.
The bulb is certainly much brighter and the reflector has a heavier orange peel (looks to me like MOP whereas the stock pelican reflector is something like VLOP) which does what you would expect and makes a very nice smooth beam but significantly cuts into throw.
All that said, I have decided to put the stock assembly back in for now, its just not reliable enough even though it "works." I think the solution would be to add a little length to the batteries maybe. I don't know much about using magnets or whether or not it would be safe but maybe using some of those rare earth magnets that people talk about would add the necessary few mm's to make it all fit together so that the reflector doesn't have any play and without overtightening the pieces.

Anyways, hope that helps,
-Pete

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anyway you can screw the bezel down on the battery tube to make it fit better.
On second thought, after carrying this around for a few days, I'm going to revise down how well this works. because the EO-9 lamp assembly is shorter overall than the stock Pelican lamp assembly, the head and tail cap need to be tightened to the end of their threads to make it work. It works then, but it can fall out of alignment at random and inconvenient times whereupon it will do things like work when the beam is facing horizontally or up, but not when facing directly down. Sometimes it requires a shake to make it work.
The bulb is certainly much brighter and the reflector has a heavier orange peel (looks to me like MOP whereas the stock pelican reflector is something like VLOP) which does what you would expect and makes a very nice smooth beam but significantly cuts into throw.
All that said, I have decided to put the stock assembly back in for now, its just not reliable enough even though it "works." I think the solution would be to add a little length to the batteries maybe. I don't know much about using magnets or whether or not it would be safe but maybe using some of those rare earth magnets that people talk about would add the necessary few mm's to make it all fit together so that the reflector doesn't have any play and without overtightening the pieces.

Anyways, hope that helps,
-Pete

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyway you can screw the bezel down on the battery tube to make it fit better.
Tried that. I had it screwed so tight that when I dropped it from 3ft up, it cracked the lens. Still had problems with it falling out of contact.

Maybe if there was a longer set of springs, esp with a stiffer, longer outer spring?

When you compare the lamp assembly with that of your pelican M6, is it the same height?

-Pete

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have my original Pelican lamp to compare, but the Pelican lamp is longer.
If you can find a stiffer spring that will help.
Tried that. I had it screwed so tight that when I dropped it from 3ft up, it cracked the lens. Still had problems with it falling out of contact.

Maybe if there was a longer set of springs, esp with a stiffer, longer outer spring?

When you compare the lamp assembly with that of your pelican M6, is it the same height?

-Pete

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
I don't have my original Pelican lamp to compare, but the Pelican lamp is longer.
If you can find a stiffer spring that will help.

Yeah, pelican lamp is longer and pelican spring is thicker, stiffer and larger diameter than eo-9 inner spring (thicker, stiffer but smaller dia than eo-9 outer spring). Given the tiny dia. of the EO-9 internal spring, I don't think it would help as much to just replace that. I think I would need a longer and stiffer outer spring to replicate the length of the Pelican lamp and also a longer, but not necessarily stiffer center spring to contact the batteries better. No idea where to get such springs though...:shrug:
-Pete

Last edited: