The PK products thread

DK Demand Lab

Newly Enlightened
On the origination issue;

I honestly have low confidence in other made in '_ _ _ _ a' products in general.
But I have a big trust in PKDL products regardless of the country of manufacture.
As long as the cool US-educated former SF SVP who is the top engineer and artist makes it, I am in.
If anything, PKDL products feel very "American" to me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Random question of the day:

What headlamps are PKDL products users using?

PKDL does not appear to release a headlamp anytime soon, so I have to opt out for a different brand.

I just thought I would ask PKDL users before I pick one up for myself.

P.S. SF ones are out of my budget.

Ha! I use a Coast battery guzzler so my opinion is moot.... but if I ever get a serious one it would likely be a Streamlight, or a Zebralight.

I have considered acquiring a serious headlamp but don't have any complaints about the Coast one.

Regarding origination, yeah I'd prefer US made. But I understand why PK doesn't have his stuff made in America as it is dang near impossible for the little guy to get going in his home state. And I doubt Maglite would rent him a lathe...

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
Cool.

I'll start the thread this weekend so we can get the roster started.

Ya know, that FL-2 was not for a whole lot of people.
Not trying to put you on the spot, but can you say what it was that made you say "no thanx" please?
PK is always looking for input so hopefully the next project will be more to the customers liking.

So far the small ones seem to be doing ok. But if there are things folks don't like, such as one comment "too stabby"... that input goes into his next design.
You may notice a sorta FL-2 look in the PR-1 without it looking so... lethal this time. lol.

Note the Z44 style is still there... slightly

And the PL-2 is it's own thing while still taking a few minor que's from the FL-2. Style wise anyway.

And truth be told, if you don't like the looks..... well you know. UI, tint etc don't mean a thing if the audience doesn't dig on the looks.

You are not putting me on the spot at all. Glad to share. The one thing that I really needed that light to do was reset from "low" to "high" quicker. I think there was about ~12 second off time needed for a reset to "high". I would have snatched one up in a hurry given a quicker reset. The way I use my lights, the long reset was not feasible. Loved the light in every other aspect: size, heft, output, etc.. I look forward to the Pass Around.

ven

Flashaholic
That FL2 is a fine looking light, UK is a nightmare though ,as to import(last time i looked) the shipping doubled the total cost! Then you have duty which potentially adds $10 by the company just because, and 20% duty of $240(ish at time with shipping)= best part of $300:(

I have been using the pen pretty much each day, in work last week and at home on/off when required.

The pocket rocket has been with me most of the time at home, been out a few times to. The high mode lit up the way with ease and pleasantly at that , so tiny though............cant get over it :laughing:

Had the clip on, then decided to remove it, prefer it in hand without the clip as for me it is more comfy to hold. Just feels more natural basically without............

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That FL2 is a fine looking light, UK is a nightmare though ,as to import(last time i looked) the shipping doubled the total cost! Then you have duty which potentially adds $10 by the company just because, and 20% duty of $240(ish at time with shipping)= best part of $300:(

I have been using the pen pretty much each day, in work last week and at home on/off when required.

The pocket rocket has been with me most of the time at home, been out a few times to. The high mode lit up the way with ease and pleasantly at that , so tiny though............cant get over it :laughing:

Had the clip on, then decided to remove it, prefer it in hand without the clip as for me it is more comfy to hold. Just feels more natural basically without............

I took the clip off mine as I never use clips on my lights. However, there is a slight gap leftover wher you can see the copper from the light engine. I put clip back on but it would easily go back on as it was bent and the little tabs no longer lined up with the securing grooves. It took some work with pliers to finally reinstall the thing. For someone who doesn't care about clips, this part was annoying.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes a very slight gap, water proof integrity is not effected though , i have left off. It can be a little bit of a pita i found, lining up is ok with the tab and a neat idea for it not to spin, just locating all the way round proved to be a little tricky.

I often(with this size of light anyway) hold it even when not using it, playing with it type thing and the clip just gets in the way. Most my clip use is for an anti roll more than clipping to something.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes a very slight gap, water proof integrity is not effected though , i have left off. It can be a little bit of a pita i found, lining up is ok with the tab and a neat idea for it not to spin, just locating all the way round proved to be a little tricky.

I often(with this size of light anyway) hold it even when not using it, playing with it type thing and the clip just gets in the way. Most my clip use is for an anti roll more than clipping to something.

Yeah we flashaholics can be often found fondling our lights even without turning them on!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You are not putting me on the spot at all. Glad to share. The one thing that I really needed that light to do was reset from "low" to "high" quicker. I think there was about ~12 second off time needed for a reset to "high". I would have snatched one up in a hurry given a quicker reset. The way I use my lights, the long reset was not feasible. Loved the light in every other aspect: size, heft, output, etc.. I look forward to the Pass Around.

You were not alone there. That was quite possibly the most unpopular feature.

When I began using multi setting flashlights I found that clicking Coasts, Lux-Pro's and the SureFire G2x Pro were ideal for me to reach the next level.

But when I started collecting ones by Streamlight and others my clicker thumb wasn't fast enough. Kept getting the same setting.
So by the time I discovered the FL2 my thumb was used to doing a momentary press to change levels.
It was an idea that most didn't take to.
Some didn't like the aggressive edges and others didn't like the "In God We Trust" on the tail cap. Some didn't like the tint (based on a spec sheet without actually see-ing how not white it was) and some wanted it to tailstand.

All of that was largely addressed in the PR-1. At first it doesn't tailstand but PK has addressed that too. Lego stuff coming soon.

At first glance the pen looks menacing and uncomfortable. But it fits your fingers way more natural than all those high tech gadgets in office stores.

PK wants to get something going on your part of the planet. Needs to find a vendor.

The only issue I found with my PR-1 clipless is pocket lint in that remaining gap. When I open the bezel it is spotless inside.
That is part of my torture testing... see if it's dust proof as well as waterproof since he doesn't state a dustproof rating....

Will probably opt for his lanyard ring when it becomes available. Afterall....

I like lanyards...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The only one I found so far remains NIP.
The seller in the UK said he had 5. I bought 3. He refunded me for 2. Dratz!! But I'll find another one someday.

And I liked this pic.

This one too.
PRX is an awesome light for playing war games.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another blast from the past:
The Icon Modus I;

Nice soft tailcap is easy on the thumb

A peek inside reveals shiney a metal lining.

User servicable business end.

Nice throwey optic.
Note the 015 expiration date on the battery.

At 50 lumens it won't cook an egg, but what it will do is give you a nice pencil beam for 50-75' ahead of you or a gentle low beam when 50 lumens isn't required. Starts on high.
The outter casing is a hard plastic surrounded by a grippy potato peeler looking grip ring that exposes the logos and acts as an anti-roll device.

These can be found for about $10 at the big A.

The 100 lumen Modus II is enroute as well. But this little gem is another fine invention from the fertile mind of PK long ago.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plastic modus is a great light but it has a fatal flaw which is that the thread section is too thin and will break eventually.