The Ultimate EagleTac M2*** TRIPLE REVIEW!

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of adding some trits to indicate levels to the switch. what do you think of that?

I'm not certain if it would be a good idea to machine tritium slots into the body, don't think it'd be easy either. The ring itself is plastic too, so i'm not sure how you can install a tritium into that.

I was initially sceptical about how well a totally smooth switching ring would work when it was first reported in the marketplace. I have since given it some thought and i think its more functional than one with detents, at least when paired with the normal tail (non clicky).

Without the clicky tail, you'd have it initially on off and it will always ramp up. So its functional in a sense that there is no real need to know which mode you're in. Just point the light in the direction you want lit, and turn the ring until its bright enough. With a smooth ring, you'd be able to do this one handed, detents don't really add any value here. If you wanted to blast someone with max power, just give it a big twist and you're at strobe, target blinded, hopefully.

Detents would be useful with the clicky switch for users who want to determine the mode its going to light up in before powering up the light, but as i see it, a totally smooth ring with the stock tailcap is the functional way to go for one handed use.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Thank you all for the many compliments!

Other than tint...it looks like the TK40 and M2 have a nearly identical brightness in your underexposed shot. Do you have any throwers you can compare the M2X's with?

Can you also get the TK40 out there in the tree shots?

The only other thrower I have is the Tiablo A9. I have a Mag 85 but I'm not sure how useful that will be.

As for the TK40, I'll see what I can do. The TK40 seemed to fit between the flood of the M2C4 and the spot of the others. Fumbling with all of those lights out there in the dark, with wind and a lightening storm nearby made for a slightly uncomfortable shoot. I had to rush inside hence the shot with the car headlights seen through the trees!

thanks for the review

Seems like in those 100ft beamshots the P7 has a larger hot spot but less spill, while the 3xcree versions have a smaller hot spot but greater spill. Can you confirm whether this is the case in real life?

Yes, I'd agree with that. The pics, even though I tried to underexpose them, are still slightly overexposed. In my last review people seemed to like that so I did it that way intentionally so the pics are fairly close to what my eyes saw. However, the M2C4 seems to flood out past 200 feet. This was similar to my Sniper P7 that started to flood out beyond 100 feet. The M2C4 is almost pure flood at those big distances. A couple of these on poles could do a night game at a high school football field!

Good review! Any idea if the head opens up easily for a future emitter swap? I really like the colour of the neutral XR-E's I've soldered into other lights I have, but at the same time the output of the P7 is very tempting. If the head opens perhaps one could switch for a neutral P7 or similar sometime in the future. :)

Thank you for the pics and review. I really appreciate the time you took for us .
How far were you able to break the light down? Is the bezel removable ? What about the reflectors?

As for water dunking and disassembly, these are loners for the review, not mine to subject to those kinds of tests so I just treated the light as an end user. The bezel screws right off but that's as far as I went. The head is heavy feels very stout. It's like holding a lead tennis ball. I have no doubt it's well built with a lot of heat sinking. From the looks of it the reflector assembly most likely comes right out when you open it up.

As for runtimes, I usually don't do those in my reviews. Too many variables with batteries and such. Even my two chargers charge differently. I did forget to check how hot it gets and I will do that. My current draw measurments divided by 80 percent of the known capacity of your cells should give you a good idea of runtime.

Wattnot:

Great review, especially the nice pic's!

A couple of questions, both of a subjective nature:

1. In your opinion, did Eagletac get the output levels right? Or would you have preferred a lower low, medium, and high modes?

2. In your opinion, would the UI work better if the control ring rotated 110-120 degrees from Off to Strobe, instead of 90 degrees?

As for my opinion on the levels, they're great. The only two that might be too close are high and turbo. It's almost difficult to tell. As for more spacing between the switching, yes, that would have helped but with a tradeoff of having to reposition your hand. Think of a touchpad on a laptop when you're trying to get from one end of the screen to another.

A detent for each level is probably not necessary but a detent for strobe should be addressed. I bet that in 6 months from now, if someone starts a poll on the biggest complaint for this light, it will be related to how close turbo and strobe are and/or about unintentional strobing. It's minor for all they've accomplished here and I'm sure people will get used to it, but you'll see what I mean when you get yours.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.0Trunk, I think this pic that you're talking about is with 3 models together at same beamshot. Don't?

The M2c4 model is very flood beam and is not so good on large distances.

Last edited:

houtex

Enlightened
so by just looking at the adjustment ring,how do you know which level you are at without the light being on?

Lone Eagle

Newly Enlightened
Kudos and thank you for the great review. Am looking forward to my M2X (cool) which is enroute.

Wattnot

Enlightened
so by just looking at the adjustment ring,how do you know which level you are at without the light being on?

You don't. Labeling isn't that necessary without the clicky tailcap installed. Since from off it goes up in order, it's intuitive anyway. Now if you install and use the tail clicky, the lack of labeling may annoy some because you won't know the level. However, that is similar to many of the computer controlled lights that memorize your last setting so all of this can be considered somewhat subjective.

I just did a 12 minute test on turbo and it wasn't that warm at all. I didn't even bother getting my IR temp gun because it felt like other lights on medium. It would make a lousy hand warmer if that's what anyone was looking for!!

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem that Strobe-off-low-med-high would solve the problem of hitting Strobe when you are in a hurry. Early Hydromatic transmissions had park-drive-low-reverse rather than what is common today.

It looks like the only "hype" in the ads is the claim that one has monster throw over the other. Even at 300 feet it's hard to tell.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I just did a 12 minute test on turbo and it wasn't that warm at all. I didn't even bother getting my IR temp gun because it felt like other lights on medium. It would make a lousy hand warmer if that's what anyone was looking for!!

I don't know if that's good or bad. :thinking: Often, the quicker the light warms up proves that the light has excellent heat sinking ability. It could be that the current isn't as high too...

Can you do a 30 minute test and see how warm it gets?

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review...and thanks for working hard to provide us with beamshots and a detailed review!

I've Shrunk some down and placed them side by side so we can see the comparisons a little better. Hope you don't mind!!
[/IMG]

Thanks Ryanrpm, this is awesome!

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
The only other thrower I have is the Tiablo A9.

Perfect! How would you say the P7 M2 compares to the A9? I've got an A8 (recently converted over to aspherical but ANYway) and would love to know what to expect between these two lights. I SHOULD have mine Monday but won't get to play with it until Wednesday and my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Kremer

Enlightened
I wonder how difficult it would be to integrate a 2 cell li-ion PCB into the battery carrier, making the thing friendly for unprotected cells, probably not very hard. :devil::devil::devil:

1dash1

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. The M2C4 really looks good at 300 ft. Would you happen to have any P7 Mags to compare at 300 ft to the M2C4?

IMG_0173.jpg

5.0Trunk:

To avoid any misunderstanding, that picture that you quoted is not of the M2C4 at 300 feet. It's a picture of all three lights turned on at the same time at 300 feet.

BST07

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your excellent review!

I'm glad I ordered the P7 for my needs. The only concern for me was the donut hole of the P7. But it looks like it's not apparent all; buyer remorse gone!

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Wattnot, can we get more of your subjective impression of these lights vs. the TK40? The beamshots with the TK40 were all directly compared to the M2 series, so it was harder for me to appreciate the difference.

How did the TK40 stack up?

And now (for me at least... for now at least... hee hee) all I need is for you to play with a Legion-II and give us your thoughts on that--then I am done! For this time...
lovecpf

dirtech

Enlightened
I'm not certain if it would be a good idea to machine tritium slots into the body, don't think it'd be easy either. The ring itself is plastic too, so i'm not sure how you can install a tritium into that.

I was initially sceptical about how well a totally smooth switching ring would work when it was first reported in the marketplace. I have since given it some thought and i think its more functional than one with detents, at least when paired with the normal tail (non clicky).

Without the clicky tail, you'd have it initially on off and it will always ramp up. So its functional in a sense that there is no real need to know which mode you're in. Just point the light in the direction you want lit, and turn the ring until its bright enough. With a smooth ring, you'd be able to do this one handed, detents don't really add any value here. If you wanted to blast someone with max power, just give it a big twist and you're at strobe, target blinded, hopefully.

Detents would be useful with the clicky switch for users who want to determine the mode its going to light up in before powering up the light, but as i see it, a totally smooth ring with the stock tailcap is the functional way to go for one handed use.

What about a smooth transition between low med high with detents only at the off and strobe modes? I know nothing about switches, but I think it would be nice to have some extra assurance about this light coming on in a pack or having some extra effort needed for going into strobe.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Excellent review, thanx ! :thumbsup:

The waterproofing really sucks though :(
This is a serious flaw IMHO.

Can you spot how the ring works? IIRC the claim is it would be a magnetic switch like the U2 ...

bernie

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! I been waiting for it for a long time.

Do you have a Coleman triple cree spotlight to compare?

Since most of us would not dissasemble the body do you thing using silicone to seal the tube would help in waterproofing the light? Did you notice where was the air escaping?

Are the cree's well centered in the reflectors? How about dust or fingerprints inside the reflector / glass?

Thanks!
AlexGT

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review, thank you. I'm glad I ordered a M2. But on the thrower side, I wonder how the M1X and M2X compare?

However, I'm disappointed in the waterproofing. For such an innovative light, you would think they could squeeze in a little more innovation and forget o-rings in a non-circular seal.

Last edited: