• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Ultimate Tailcap Switch, the FETtie, for Z41 and variants.

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
Nice build....but can the battery be replaced, and please specify the installation dimensions.

Thank you:)

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Yes, the battery can replaced easily by pulling out the clicking mechanism. The battery voltage can also be tested with a multi-meter without disassembling anything. Once the cell is under 2.7V it should be replaced. Check it every 6 months or so.

What exactly do you mean by installation dimensions? A standard Z41 twisty has about a 3.5mm gap to the body while resting (when screwed in for constant on it's about 2.5mm)

With a FETtie switch installed in a Z41 the gap to the body is 3.5mm. It's exactly the same as a Z41 twisty.

The length of the switch, not including the spring, is 8mm.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working on a forward clicky version I'm hoping to have ready by the end of February.

FETtie shouldn't be any thicker than McClicky with adapter, maybe slightly if you have a low-pro adapter, but it should be about the same.

I'm soooo looking forward to this!!!

:takeit: :takeit: :takeit:

sadtimes

Enlightened
VanIsleDSM said:
I am working on a forward clicky version I'm hoping to have ready by the end of February.

Put me down for for at least one... I can't wait!

DeLighted

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have a Leef U2 Body and Leef Tailcap. The switch in the tailcap is broken. Will this switch fit in this Leef tailcap?:thinking:

Also will it fit in and replace Vital Gear FB1 switch?

Thanks, Kent

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
1x FETtie w/ GITD boot =48
1x orange boot =0.75
1x black boot= 0.75
1x international shipping =15
total=64.5USD

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 86G42547BW011222V)

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Thanks for the order chesterqw.

I responded to Kent through PM about the Leef U2 body. I don't have any experience with one myself and cannot help him. Does anyone know if the FETtie will fit into a Leef U2? If the Leef U2 tailcap threads onto a surefire P/C series then there's a good chance it will work.

I've had some of my PMs disappear on me, and have been told that some of the PMs I returned have disappeared as well. If you were expecting a reply through PM and did not receive one please PM me again.

gt40

Enlightened
just sent paypal:

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 65J49175FK153445U)
Original Transaction
Date Type Status Details Amount
Jan 31, 2012Payment To Jesse Veitch Completed ...-$117.50 USD
Related Transaction
Date Type Status Details Amount
Jan 31, 2012Add Funds from a Bank Account CompletedYour transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete.Your transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete.
Details$117.50 USD

Sent to:Jesse Veitch (The recipient of this payment is Non-U.S. - Verified)
Email:[email protected]

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Sorry gt40!

Very busy with the release of the 3300 Lumen Septa right now. Your switches were shipped yesterday, you should have had a email sent to your paypal email account with the shipping details.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I was wondering, is it possible to make these handle up to 30 volts? I'm working on a 300 watt incan build, and this switch would be perfect, if it weren't for the max voltage being too low.

What would be perfect is a Mag replacement switch, capable of handling higher voltage (30+ volts would be perfect!).

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Hi bstrickler,

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a 30V version for you, maybe with a very slightly higher resistance, in it's current form.

Would you use some kind of adapter to make this Z41 switch work with your Mag?

I could probably a build a mag replacement switch as well, I'm just not too familiar with the Mags which is why I never have. If you'd like to send me a stock Mag switch I could probably modify it to use a MOSFET to conduct the current. I might have to build an entire new switch, impossible to tell until I can inspect one.

PM me and we can talk about the details if you're interested.

tjhabak

Enlightened
Hi bstrickler,

I'm pretty sure I could come up with a 30V version for you, maybe with a very slightly higher resistance, in it's current form.

I could probably a build a mag replacement switch as well, I'm just not too familiar with the Mags which is why I never have. If you'd like to send me a stock Mag switch I could probably modify it to use a MOSFET to conduct the current. I might have to build an entire new switch, impossible to tell until I can inspect one.

I don't need a switch capable of 30V (it wouldn't hurt), but I would be very interested in a Mag compatible switch of this type!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

bstrickler

Enlightened
Hi bstrickler,

I could probably figure out a way to do a Z41 mod, but I am willing to send you $ to buy a switch tower off Ebay, to use as a reference for making mag switches. My only requirements for the switch are:

Capable of 30V input (7S Li-Ion), and 15 amp continuous current draw (though the light will probably never be on for more than 30 seconds at a time, due to extreme heat generation).
No modification of the flashlight, for installation. As long as you use leaded solder, I will be fine with the switch being permanently mounted/epoxied into the switch tower (which will require the end user to ship in their tower, or buy a pre-made one, with the potential ability to send theirs in for a core charge).

A plus would be to have the electronics potted for water protection (added cost, of course), if you are unable to use the original switch boot.

I will not have an issue with spending $75 on a switch if it meets or exceeds all that criteria.

Last edited:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
drmalenko, please see post #19. I responded directly bellow you the first time you asked.

bstrickler, I do use leaded solder for everything I build. Easier to work with and far more durable than non-leaded.

Taking a quick look on ebay I don't see any mag switches other than a used one labelled as "old style"

I think it would be best for me to just buy a mag flashlight. I'd like to see how the switch fits and interacts with the host as well. Was it a C or D mag that you're interested in? Are they all the same other than C or D size or are there other things I need to look out for? ...like the "old style" switches.

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
drmalenko, please see post #19. I responded directly bellow you the first time you asked.

bstrickler, I do use leaded solder for everything I build. Easier to work with and far more durable than non-leaded.

Taking a quick look on ebay I don't see any mag switches other than a used one labelled as "old style"

I think it would be best for me to just buy a mag flashlight. I'd like to see how the switch fits and interacts with the host as well. Was it a C or D mag that you're interested in? Are they all the same other than C or D size or are there other things I need to look out for? ...like the "old style" switches.

You're probably right. http://www.zbattery.com/Mag-3d-Barrel-With-Switch-d-In-Serial-No-?sc=12&category=45024 has the 3d body with switch for $9+ shipping (may be cheaper to buy a full light from a local store, though)

D-cell mag is what I use. Only differences I know of is the old/new, and C/D differences. I think the LED vs incan tower switches are the same physically, but I can't vouch for that, since I haven't pulled my LED towers out yet (can't find the right size torx bit)

~Brian

mpetry912

Newly Enlightened
This switch installed in my Malkoff MD4 in about 2 minutes and works perfectly! Really great item - I'm going to order another one.

thanks Jesse!

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA