The value of a "tactical" light for civilian concealed-carry

fyrstormer

Banned
Are you kidding me?!?
He definitely isn't. Didn't you know? Cops (as a culture, not necessarily as free-thinking individuals) think they can do whatever they want, including terminating your Constitutional rights when it's convenient for them. http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...-can-be-terminated-when-cops-cameras-dont-mix

I don't think the issue here is so much that reporters were filming public police activity, but that filming police activity implies you doubt whether the police are doing the right thing -- questioning the police's judgement. That tends to be a Very Bad Thing if you're not actively seeking a confrontation with the police, hence why I'd rather not suggest that a police officer's logic regarding flashlight quality might be flawed.

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
He definitely isn't. Didn't you know? Cops (as a culture, not necessarily as free-thinking individuals) think they can do whatever they want, including terminating your Constitutional rights when it's convenient for them. http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...-can-be-terminated-when-cops-cameras-dont-mix

I don't think the issue here is so much that reporters were filming public police activity, but that filming police activity implies you doubt whether the police are doing the right thing -- questioning the police's judgement. That tends to be a Very Bad Thing if you're not actively seeking a confrontation with the police, hence why I'd rather not suggest that a police officer's logic regarding flashlight quality might be flawed.

It's very convenient to take bits and pieces of film footage to portray the so called truth. Being a cop, I find your remarks ignorant and offensive. People like you think anyone can say and do anything they want regardless of public safety, disruption to other people's rights or following the law. Everyone knows that professional protesters uses tactics to provoke the police. So for the hours of footage showing cops being spit on, shoved and cursed at and showing amazing restraint, only a few seconds showing the cops "over reacting" is shown. Being a cop, we have to live walking on eggshells trying to do our job without offending anyone because every judgement we make gets put under a microscope (by our politically motivated bosses, civilian review boards and the media) and our jobs are then on the line, so don't think for a second we make those descisions lightly or without actually knowing the law. This is especially true in our private lives. You can get a ticket or commit minor infractions in your private life and go to work the next day without worrying about loosing your job. We have to report such things and again worry about loosing our jobs, benefits, pension and modest pay to support our families. All this for the "privilege" of putting our lives on the line to protect YOU.
This alone sould muster just a little respect.
So no, I didn't know cops can do what ever they want. And what do you know about the culture of police officers. Did you ever hear the term,"walk a mile in a man's shoes before you judge him." How many violent confrontations do you repond to on a daily basis?
I understand that the majority of the public does support and respect LEOs and I thank you.
PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
That's cute, tell me off in public and then say I should respond in private. No thank you. Delete your public post and send it to me via PM if you want to have a conversation via PM.

It concerns me that you think my support for civilian monitoring of the police means I'm against the police. It also makes me think you're the sort of police who needs civilian monitoring. It takes a special kind of mindset to think "this world is on the verge of chaos and I'm just the guy to help straighten things out," and people with that mindset set me on-edge. I was born with a strong moral compass and I don't need anyone's help to be straightened out.

Admittedly I've never been in a gunfight and I'd certainly appreciate help if I ever found myself in or near one, but at the same time, I figure the strong moral compass I mentioned before is probably why I've never been in a gunfight. Of course if I decided to become a police officer, I would expect gunfights to happen from time to time as part of the job, and hopefully I'd have the decency to avoid using that to guilt-trip the people I willingly chose to work for.

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I see, you can make insulting and inflamatory remarks in the public forum but how dare I respond in kind. Some how standing up for myself and my profession means I now need monitoring because I don't share your views. How elitist of you.
Let's see,"Cops think they can do whatever they want including terminating your constitutional rights when it's convenient for them". I think that statement goes well beyond mere "support" for public monitoring. I guess your strong moral compass includes making unprovoked and insulting statements.
It's also nice of you to take the liberty of interpreting my comments to mean "this world is on the verge of chaos and I'm the guy to straighten things out". I don't know what type of calls you think cops get called to but it's not to have tea and crumpets with the local church group. You seem to put forth a lot of your interpretations as facts. I truly hope you do become a police officer some day and then reflect on your comments made here. If you think this is a guilt trip rather than an opposing response, maybe you have something to feel guilty about.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm very sorry you can't deal with my opinion that you don't like without getting emotionally hurt by it. If I'd known you were a cop before I responded to you the first time, I most likely wouldn't have posted what I did, but only because I've learned (as stated previously) that disagreeing with cops is a Very Bad Thing.

Ironically, your opposing response demonstrated exactly the sort of hubris required for a cop to question whether I need to have such fancy tools on my person, since after all I'm not doing anything important with my life, like breaking up fights for a living. Thanks for that.

fishndad

Enlightened
I'm very sorry you can't deal with my opinion that you don't like without getting emotionally hurt by it. If I'd known you were a cop before I responded to you the first time, I most likely wouldn't have posted what I did, but only because I've learned (as stated previously) that disagreeing with cops is a Very Bad Thing.

Ironically, your opposing response demonstrated exactly the sort of hubris required for a cop to question whether I need to have such fancy tools on my person, since after all I'm not doing anything important with my life, like breaking up fights for a living. Thanks for that.

Im not a cop and ive read this thread through.Of course he was offinded,and then you come back with"emotionally hurt"
you sound intelligent and the language you have chosen has purpose.The Purpose was to inflame an argument.So you have
expressed your oppinion of the Police,and know you are continuing to be provocative.Did you also tease other boys on the playground
then run behind the teacher?

Samy

Enlightened

I think you're done.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Again, your interpretations of what I wrote are very creative. I suppose dc38's comment about cops equating flashlights with guns and being stupid enough to do so, along with your agreement and colorful comments elicited such a "Very Bad Thing" happening by a police officer. Many cops belong to this forum and I have never heard any profess that a civilian should be restricted on what flashlight to carry. Even in a thread such as this we have given advice on using a flashlight in conjunction with weapons or just for defensive purposes so I am at a loss as to where you get your opinions from. And please point out where I said if you are not breaking up fights for a living you are not doing anything important with your life, or am I just too stupid to see it. You have a lot of maturing to do.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Im not a cop and ive read this thread through.Of course he was offinded,and then you come back with"emotionally hurt"
you sound intelligent and the language you have chosen has purpose.The Purpose was to inflame an argument.So you have
expressed your oppinion of the Police,and know you are continuing to be provocative.Did you also tease other boys on the playground
then run behind the teacher?

I get the same impression. Making inflammatory statements, and then acting as though anyone inflamed by their inflammatory statement is now persecuting them.

It IS like hitting someone...and then when they hit you back, acting like THEY started it.

Cops are HUMAN BEINGS, with feelings, wives, children, political opinions, religious views, etc, just like anyone else. They are NOT all the same, like carbon copies of some stereotype. You will typically be wrong if you assume everyone in a group is the same...for any group.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, anymore than all Christians are Oklahoma City bombers or white supremacists.

Are ALL cops so perfect that they should not be supervised, no, of course not, but as a group, at least the guys I know, DO work pretty hard to do the right thing day in and day out.

And take biased sources with a grain of salt.

If you edit video footage, you can "prove" about anything you want to.

Bits of footage, spliced together as needed, can tell any story you want it to. Some friends who are in the "business" have show me how this is done in numerous fairly easy ways. A mac with "imovie" can take a gang attacking and beating an old man, and edit it to show the old man attacking the gang...a reality tv show can take several disjointed stories, and create a new completely unrelated story...

...and a group harassing someone and finally instigating a retaliatory reaction, can be shown as the retaliatory action started the confrontation, etc....very easily.

People who SEE the edited versions are always tricked into believing what they saw HAPPENED.

Those with an open mind can sometimes be convinced it DIDN'T happen, but, the closed minded ones, even mildly close minded, will NEVER revise their memory of the events...especially if the events support their world view, etc.

That variable is true for all of us. If we get evidence that supports our beliefs...its accepted as fact w/o resistance.

If we get evidence that is in conflict with our world view, our FIRST instinct is to discredit it.

People are like that, good people and bad people....its HUMAN nature.

If you believe that a group is bad, say that Muslims are terrorists, any Muslim that IS shown as a terrorist is immediately considered as proof/validation of that belief.

If you believe a group is good (Like whatever YOU are, etc...), any one in your group that is shown as bad is assumed to be framed, unfairly prosecuted, or, NOT REPRESENTATIVE of your group.

So, the Muslims who are not terrorists see a Muslim arrested for terrorism, and decry that terrorist as an extremist who does not represent THEIR views.

The Christians who see a Christian arrested for terrorism ALSO view that guy as an extremist who doesn't represent THEIR views, and so forth.

The above will NOT differentiate extremists from the OTHER group as not being representative of THAT GROUP though...as there's no conflict with their world view to provide the impetus do do it.

So, if you want to be open minded and fair....and at least be open to OTHER World Views, etc....when you hear/see evidence in conflict, AND in support, of YOUR view, try (TRY) to consider it as if it DIDN'T support or conflict with your beliefs.

SOME people can DO that, most can't...opposing opinions don't fit into their head in a way that allows unbiased evaluation.

Food for thought.

And, "tactical" is WAAAY over used as a term. If you want the light to come on in high, you also want it to be able to go off just as quickly, in case the light reveals a guy about to shoot you.

If you have to SCROLL through options to get the light off...well, you are providing something to aim at while you do it.

If you didn't practice, you will screw up, and be too tied up with details instead of muscle memory. This is a bad thing.

Tactical, if it means the light goes on/off with the switch, either momentary or another click, etc...so there's no scrolling, and comes on in high always...works better than a light that comes on wherever you had it last, but goes to medium and then low or firefly or strobe or beacon or disco duck, etc....before off.

Light itself, as a means to incapacitate an aggressor, works for a second or two on a sober person...so, its not a solution in of itself. On a drunk, etc, it might work longer, as they are more easily disoriented.

Mostly, its way to see them in more detail, see if they are armed and with what, and have a second or two to decide what to do next. If you don't know what to do next, well, hope they don't either.

:D

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Back on topic . . .

I had received an SF L1 "extreme" from our own MilkySpit a few months back. Wanted a light that could do double-duty instead of a light with simply two output levels. For that reason, I like to call it the L1 Gemini. Low mode has been increased to 40 lumens, with plenty of runtime. When using low, you twist the tailcap a bit for constant-on mode. Now you have an average general-use flashlight. High mode however is used by pushing the momentary tailcap switch and holding it down for roughly 200 lumens of output. Thus using it as a true tactical light.

Not standard-issue, obviously. Not inexpensive either. Modification was $150 and that's if you supply Scott with a stock SureFire L1. Good news for me was finding one on the CPF MarketPlace for around half of what a new one costs. So under $240 for me for the total package. But there is the wait time. I knew Milky was overloaded with orders when I put mine in. 8 months later, I had my milkyfied L1. Definitely worth the wait. Since the L1 has the length of a typical AA flashlight with a clicky switch, that means a solid grip with all the fingers. Some think the L1 is a bit too long for a single CR123 based light. It is. But that extra length is fantastic when actually holding the light in hand.

So, there you go. My idea for a light that can function as both a traditional flashlight and a tactical flashlight. Capable of filling two different roles instead of just being a light with two output levels. Best of both worlds with no compromises needed. If anyone wants one, Scott can help. Just keep in mind that he's a one-man shop and flooded with orders. Likely only to get worse in the future. Once again, wait is worth it though.

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Back on topic . . .

I had received an SF L1 "extreme" from our own MilkySpit a few months back. Wanted a light that could do double-duty instead of a light with simply two output levels. For that reason, I like to call it the L1 Gemini. Low mode has been increased to 40 lumens, with plenty of runtime. When using low, you twist the tailcap a bit for constant-on mode. Now you have an average general-use flashlight. High mode however is used by pushing the momentary tailcap switch and holding it down for roughly 200 lumens of output. Thus using it as a true tactical light.

Not standard-issue, obviously. Not inexpensive either. Modification was $150 and that's if you supply Scoot with a stock SureFire L1. Good news for me was finding one on the CPF MarketPlace for around half of what a new one costs. So under $240 for me for the total package. But there is the wait time. I knew Milky was overloaded with orders when I put mine in. 8 months later, I had my milkyfied L1. Definitely worth the wait. Since the L1 has the length of a typical AA flashlight with a clicky switch, that means a solid grip with all the fingers. Some think the L1 is a bit too long for a single CR123 based light. It is. But that extra length is fantastic when actually holding the light in hand.

So, there you go. My idea for a light that can function as both a traditional flashlight and a tactical flashlight. Capable of filling two different roles instead of just being a light with two output levels. Best of both worlds with no compromises needed. If anyone wants one, Scott can help. Just keep in mind that he's a one-man shop and flooded with orders. Likely only to get worse in the future. Once again, wait is worth it though.

Seems very similar to the LX2 in terms of UI and output. Other than a presumably shorter light, what are the differences?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Seems very similar to the LX2 in terms of UI and output. Other than a presumably shorter light, what are the differences?

Keep in mind that the L1 uses a single CR123 cell, while the LX2 uses two such cells. 200 lumens from a light running on two CR123 cells is easy. From one cell? Scott definitely worked his magic. UI is technically the same. The primary use for the lower setting on my L1 is a slight twist for constant on, so it can function as a regular flashlight. However, yes; you can gently push down for momentary mode of 40 lumens. And, even though momentary tailcap switch is the ideal way to switch on the higher 200 lumens mode; yes' you can twist the tailcap for constant-on of those 200 lumens. Once again, the ideal is twist for the 40 lumens medium mode and momentary for the 200 lumens high mode. That's the best way to use the double personality of the Milky L1 "extreme."

A lot of CPFers hear that a light has dual output of 40 lumens / 200 lumens, they start to wonder why those two settings were chosen. Surely a much lower setting would be better overall on a two-mode flashlight. And I'd be the first one to agree. However, while the SF LX2 is indeed a two-mode flashlight, my Milky L1 isn't. Technically it is. Best to picture having two different flashlights in each hand. One, a single-mode flashlight used for general lighting chores. The type of flashlight every homeowner keeps around, but a quality version. Something along the lines of an old-fashioned 2AA Mini-M@g model with an aftermarket LED upgrade. In terms of operation, you twist to switch it on. In your other hand is a single-mode tactical light with a momentary tailcap switch. Something along the lines of a SureFire 6P with a Malkoff production M60 LED drop-in in it.

Now you've got two lights. One for general lighting chores, and one for true tactical use. What I had Scott do was combine those two separate lights into one very compact flashlight. Now the 40 lumen mode and the 200 lumen mode makes more sense. You pick whichever single mode you need depending on the task facing you. With the LX2, SureFire clearly meant for it to be a two-mode light with a 15 lumen low and a 200 lumen high. In terms of use, the modified L1 is meant to be used as either a single mode traditional flashlight or a single mode tactical light. Dual-personality flashlight instead of dual-mode flashlight.

Beam profile is also very different. I let Scott know I didn't want the tight beam usually found on SureFire lights that come equipped with an optic. I wanted something closer to what you get with a reflector. A nice hotspot but with plenty of side-spill. Far more pragmatic and useful. (At least for my needs.) Scott definitely didn't disappoint. Yes, runtime on high mode is shorter with my L1 than with an LX2. Though not by a great deal. And once again, you have a single cell light compared to one running on two cells. If I reach into my spares-carrier and toss in another cell into my L1 after the first cell dies, in order to have a fairer comparison, than the runtimes on high for both lights is nearly identical.

Once again, Milky has worked his magic. No clue how he does it. Maybe he uses some ancient manuscripts and waves a magic wand for a few hours, and all of a sudden there's a new batch of SureFires that are now working at their absolute full potential. (Sure, he works his magic on other brands. But generally it's on SureFires.)

One final difference would be the grip. There's not much checkering on an L1 body, but damn if it's not significantly more than what you'd find on an LX2. That's one of the two main reasons I never bought an LX2. (Can't stand the reversible clip either. The length of the L1 means that the bezel-up clip on it is 100% functional.) Certain things should be nice and smooth. Like a beautiful woman's legs. Others? Not so much. If I truly need my flashlight to work, I'm going to be beyond mad as Hell if it squirts out of my hand like a wet fish simply because there's just a tiny bit of sweat on my hands. I like the older SF models. The ones that had checkering that was so good that you could literally use it to saw through other flashlights made by the competition. I don't like these new "kinder & gentler" SureFires. When I grab one of my SureFires, I want to feel as though I have a cheese-grater covered in Krazy Glue in my fist. Prisoners on Death Row have more freedom of movement than the SureFires I'm holding.

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I'm surprised more CPFers don't get their *** kicked on the street for flashing a dangerously bright tool in the eyes of another person at night, when the situation could be avoided entirely.

I know I would take serious offense if someone flashed a 200 lumen light in my dark-adapted eyes for no good reason. If I had no intention to attack them before, receiving that would be sufficent to be called an instigation. And if I couldn't see due to blindness, first instinct would be to close and engage since I am extremely vulnerable due to temporary blindness.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm surprised more CPFers don't get their *** kicked on the street for flashing a dangerously bright tool in the eyes of another person at night, when the situation could be avoided entirely.

Likely the reason why that doesn't take place more often is that the vast majority of CPFers aren't that immature, and aren't that rude.

I know I would take serious offense if someone flashed a 200 lumen light in my dark-adapted eyes for no good reason. If I had no intention to attack them before, receiving that would be sufficent to be called an instigation. And if I couldn't see due to blindness, first instinct would be to close and engage since I am extremely vulnerable due to temporary blindness.

I'd be upset too if that happened to me for no good reason. I'd likely engage as well. Amazing the number of folks who just stay on that center line instead of moving off of it.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I concur with Monocrom. I can only speak for myself, but I never blast anyone in the face. Unless it is a friend and I am messing with him. Other than that, I would only use a full blast if the situation demanded it. I have used bright tactical lights on people during low light airsoft encounters. These are guys with fully automatic weapons in their hands. Trust me, with a full blast of light charging forward to engage let alone shooting is the last thing on their minds. Sure I have been shot at after a blast of light but they cant aim well and always miss. Also I am shooting them right as I blast them with light. In airsoft one hit your out or down waiting for a medic (aspect of the game, not a real medic)

Seeing these people's reactions to the light is informative. There is a brief moment that you can take advantage of while they are recovering from the light. You can then judge what to do next. A good option is to blast and book it out of there. A better option is to have your wits about you. Keeping your head up and scanning for possible threats is a much better use of your time. I recall a study where prisoners were shown a film/video of people in the street. They were asked who would you target and who would you avoid. People who were up and alert were avoided. People who were not alert were picked as targets.

Seeing a possible threat early on give you a lot more time and opportunity to adjust accordingly. You have many more options before resorting to a light.

fishndad

Enlightened

Where did that come from? Ive never heard of flashing someone on the street in the eyes with your flashlight.
Only discussing what would be a good light for doing so for SELF DEFENSE to avoid and get away from an attacker.
This thread!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Where did that come from? Ive never heard of flashing someone on the street in the eyes with your flashlight.
Only discussing what would be a good light for doing so for SELF DEFENSE to avoid and get away from an attacker.
This thread!

Yeah, this is not about randomly flashing someone in the eyes, this is about STOPPING AN ATTACKER for a moment to buy reaction time. As Solscud mentioned, it buys a delay period of a second or so that you can use to your advantage.

In an attack situation, If I hit the guy in the eyes to buy that hesitation...I do NOT stay in one place, or hold the light at the same orientation to my body. Once I hit them, I hold the light out to my side so that if they DO try something, they are like the bull charging the cape.

:D

As at that point they were ALREADY potentially charging like a bull, hence my desire to make them hesitate/give me time to take appropriate counter measures...this is a very good analogy. If all they see is the light, and that's where they are charging, I at least have moved my center of mass off center from their target point.

I can also simply turn the light OFF when they are close, as their vision will not be recovered enough to compensate, and, they will simply continue towards where the light was last. If attempting to fire, that is also where they are most likely to aim...where the light was last.

This is one reason I like a floody beam, in addition to their head, I want to see which way their hands and belt buckles are going, etc...to anticipate dodges and weapon use, etc....and why I like if the light doesn't need to scroll to an off position.

As mentioned above, attackers target the vulnerable....and avoid savvy targets as higher risk. If you have a response to their attack that is OTHER THAN cowering/rolling into a ball, etc...they re-assess whether you might hurt THEM. They don't want to get hurt...they would much rather come up behind an unsuspecting victim, and whack them in the back of their head, knocking them out...and then take what they want with no chance of being identified later, etc.

The TV versions where they face you and ask for your wallet are rare...although the newbs might do that, and, then have to kill you once they realize you can ID them, or, not think about it, and simply get ID'd/go to court later, etc.

fishndad

Enlightened
Man.TEEJ.You sure have a way of exlpaining things. I think if you wrote a book say" Flashlights for Dummies "with a brick
insie(that way i could smack them over the head after they have read it of course).Some folks might finally get it.
I will try ,humbly of course to back up what you said,You would use the light to very quickly blind your attacker and run.
IF you are incapable of running.If you are backed into a corner or are otherwise screwed.Then god may be on your side.
Myself i am prepared and trained to use lethal force.But I do pray from time to time that I will never have to live with a decision baring those circumstances.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting how this thread got a bit derailed there for a bit...also interesting how it basically started because someone who supposedly deals with that kind of stuff daily on the job couldn't just say "Well we aren't all like that..." and then dropped it. (To be clear, I'm not saying you are like that)

Even more interesting is this aggressive reaction to getting blasted in the face with 200 lumens while out in public. Seriously? No really I wasn't sure if you guys were serious....maybe I should be able to pick out your sarcasm better but really I am not clear on what you guys would do. (You guys being QS, Mono and Solscud)

Why??? .....last time I checked there was no law regulating the use of a flashlight to light someone up at night. It's not like they are hosing you down with OC or pulling a tire iron out to knock you over the head with. However suddenly becoming aggressive with a total stranger just because he flashed you with a light is definitely grounds for taking a defensive stance. After all maybe I wasn't flashing you with the intent to blind you but trying instead to identify you or someone else nearby...or get the attention of a passing friend in his car so he could pick me up....or any one of a few hundred other reasons that could be legitimate.

Now suddenly this guy is coming at me like he is going to kick my *** and I don't know why... yep I'm definitely going into condition orange...and depending how it goes from there....maybe even red.

Last edited: