Those of you posting bait and switch threads

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure from the time I turn my computer on to the time I turn it off I probably click the mouse 150 to 300 times or more. If I have to click it two more times to open and close a thread I don't want to read it really pisses me off. (NOT) Noobs are noobs and most of the time they just need help. I don't think seasoned CPFers are doing this are they? If they are, don't open their threads if two extra mouse clicks pisses you off. Like nerdgineer said, "were just chatting around here". lol
:nana::nana::nana::nana:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually there's been a Fenix T1 R2 available for some time. Just not around here. I think it was in Japan. There's a link floating around someplace if you feel like searching.

Delta

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195282

Interesting how people see things differently.

Those types of threads do get annoying sometimes, but for the most part I'm :cool: with them.

Your example link you posted is not at all what I am taking about. I post threads with repetitive questions too, mostly because I have a hard time finding the info I want in a search. I'm talking about threads with no info/no effort.

Here's a few examples:

Fenix LOD Alternative

(Ok, I'd be interested in a light like that! Lets see what it is!)

POST #1 "What is the best (cheaper) alternative to this light. Also the most comparable in performance to it as well. Thanks."

No info...it was a question. A question mark would have been helpful. Maybe someone knows of an alternative, and therefore isn't interested in reading about it. If there was a question mark, they might've came in and shared. So Hiding the question to get it read can be counter-productive to the poster in addition to annoying to the reader.

DX Stainless Steel Cree Q2 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1*AAA/10440)

(Must be an interesting light if he's posting about it...lets see what it is)

POST #1: $35.62

looks interesting

Okaaaay....Do we need a thread about every light that SOMEONE thinks is linteresting? If you have something specific to add or a specific question, sure...but I think a lot of lights are interesting. I'm not posting threads that say:

Fenix P3D.....Looks intersting
Microfire HID whatever....looks interesting
Ultrafire whatever....looks interesting

I could add a hundred of these threads, but I don't.

It's pretty much "Forum Littering"...and there's just a lot more of it here than anywhere else. If you are fine with it, fine. Thats just what I think.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okaaaay....Do we need a thread about every light that SOMEONE thinks is linteresting? If you have something specific to add or a specific question, sure...but I think a lot of lights are interesting. I'm not posting threads that say:
agreed, posters shoudl take more effort in posting....but at the same time, i added this light to my wishlist, when i had totally missed it earlier on.

Crenshaw

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about everyone who is posting new threads just come right out and say what they want to talk about? I'm tired of clicking on threads that say something like this:

THREAD TITLE: FENIX R2 LIGHT (I assume someone has info on a new light)

1st POST CONTENT: Anyone know when they'll make one?

This is ALL OVER this forum! It's like people are afraid their thread wont be read unless they "trick" you into reading it. Thats just one example of how this is done, but it is all over and its getting really annoying. This is the only forum I frequent that I see this happen constantly.

If you have something to say, say it. If you have something to ask, ask it. Don't dangle one small peice and make me have to work/waste my time to see what you REALLY mean.

And yes, we have all seen the "Puke Light." Lets move on now......

I empathize with you on this.

Why not try sending the OP a PM. Then if that fails, and you think it's an extreme enough situation, report the post/thread and ask for a title change! Just a couple words added could make all the difference. Like "--any info?" or something like that. The mods may decide not to act on your request, but it doesn't hurt to ask if you feel strongly enough. But . . . don't go overboard with the report buttons or anything! My INBOX has enough mail in it already. LOL!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-descriptive or mis-leading thread titles are also one of my pet peeves. I don't see that type of thread adding any value to CPF - it just makes the good information harder to find. I try to either avoid those threads or not respond - even if I know the answer (I look at it as "not feeding the trolls"). Unfortunately, theres not much you can do about it. As soon as you "cure" one batch of folks of this type of behavior and new batch comes along. You don't need a license to use the internet. :shrug:

While we are on peeves........
Another thing I shake my head at is people that will take the time to create a thread and post a question that could have been easily answered by a Google search. :shakehead

I don't mind the odd typo and spelling mistake (especially from our non native-english speakers - kudos to you!). I make lots of typos myself. I do dislike laziness (ALL CAPS, no caps/punctuation, excessive text message type style) in posts.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
My major issue with "Mystery meat" titles is search won't work on non descriptive titles. For instance the thread with the most info on the HDS 17670 tube is titled "looky what lighthound has" or something to that effect. So if you try to do a search you won't find it.

We can all help the search engine by changing the title of our post when we respond.

I think some of these issues are covered in the instructional doc:
"How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man if all of you gets your way, there would be 2 new threads per day. :crackup:

The only type of title annoys me is the "anyone know where can I find...", I'm always tempted to reply with "you can find it at...".

Dantor

Enlightened
if any thread needs to be brought back!

I put together another one;
2daj438.jpg

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the mods started to close the DX/Kai links, they suggest posting in the CPFMP Good deals forum. I am not sure that is a good place. "I just found an Aurora SSC-P7 $15 more than the MTE" does not sound like a good deal to me. Maybe we need a NEW FINDS forum.

Instead of starting a new thread the posters could have posted in WHC's sticky on new Cree SSC rebel lights (now un-stick-ed due to lack of business). I do not mind going in there once in a while to see what is new.
Or the OP could simply buy the light and do a review on it. At least then we have some more info.

Empath

Flashaholic
When the mods started to close the DX/Kai links, they suggest posting in the CPFMP Good deals forum. I am not sure that is a good place.

Just in case you want to see how the typical thread you're discussing looks:

pop-exporter-shopper said:
Hey, fellow popular exporter shopping guys! Am I the first one that gets to announce a new product they posted on their site?

Well ......... first..... we'll talk about it after this commercial announcement. Please go to their sales announcement:
http://www.popularexportingvendor.net/newthingamajig/sku34567

Ah! Welcome back!
Pretty neat led thingamajig, right? What's your opinion. When I get mine I might inscribe my name on it.

It may not look exactly like that to some of you; but to some of us it does.

When the mod comes by, he may remove the commercial and let you see if your plan to inscribe your name on a thingamajig attracts some replies. Or, he might close the thread and remind you that such "heads-up", or "check-out-what-I-found" announcements are to be posted in the "Good Deals" forum.

It's possible that you're assuming the "Good Deals" is only for the heavily discounted values that members find. However the announcement placed in the forum at its creation shows its true purpose.

Greta said:
This forum is for posting a "Check out what I found!" type thread with a link to the dealer or manufacturer's website.

The discussions of these products as related to the "Good Deal" should take place here in this forum, however the discussions of the products themselves can take place in the appropriate forum on CPF proper.

Please do not use the forums on CPF proper for "Good Deal" type announcements.

cat

Enlightened
I don't mind when grammar and spelling are off, even for native speakers, because this place is a chatter of conversation.

The native English speakers are the worst. (American and British.) It usually corresponds to the age group.

BTW, I'm often wowed by the the grammar and spelling of the non-native speakers here. Would that I could write in their language how well they write in English.

The Europeans have better education, better schools; Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark in particular.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I thought this thread was more recent. But yeh I agree with what has been said about the bait and switch.

Did you guys know Britain has a pretty poor literacy rate.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Bait and Switch"

I've been puzzling over what that jargon might mean - is it an angling term?

Something about lures?

I get the "Bait" bit, but "Switch"????????????

Incomprehensible.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
BAIT
There are some less than honourable stores that will put an ad in the paper that says "Colour TV for $100!!!"
SWITCH
When you show up to buy it, you are told "Sorry all sold out. But we have this nice model for $300."

So bait & switch refers to the product (in our case the post) does not match the ad (in our case the title). Nothing to do with fishing.

-----

After much complaints about fraud and threatened government action the ads now say "Colour TV for $100!!! minimun 1 per store". So if you are the 2nd person to walk in the store, you are still out of luck.