Thousand Year Rain falls in South Carolina

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yeah, who knows what will happen. The Earth is 4 or 5 billion years old and we have, what, 200 years of hard weather data? That's such an insignificant amount of time to judge whether or not the weather is really changing. Yes, it seems like it is, but I don't think anyone can say for sure. Even if one year is dry and hot, and the next is a flood every week, I don't think we can really make a sound decision.

It's crazy how this hurricane turned far away, but still pumped all that moisture into the Carolinas!!

You could be right. However, much of the important data is not accessible or understandable by the public.

In any case if humans become extinct it won't be that unusual since most species eventually die off anyway. I doubt humans will be any different. What will be unusual is if we actually contributed to our own extinction. That'll be the funny part.

Well, maybe not funny to most people. But then I admit to having a somewhat perverse sense of humor. :)

Apologizing in advance for the thread drift. :)

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Coal was used in China 3000 years ago. It wasn't until the mid 1750 that coal was commercially mined in Virginia. Just looked that up on the Coal and Fossil fuel website.

Attempting the associate any weather change with fossil fuel use is not sound. We've had volcanic activity that has blocked UV light from heating the earth.

Our recorded history sucks for accuracy and for a means to tie fossil fuels with either global heating or cooling.

Right, such as the Tambora super volcano eruption in Sumatra back in the early 1800s that created a temporary global cooling effect and "the year without a summer."

However, that was different. The millions of tons of volcanic ash caused a nuclear winter type of effect despite all the greenhouse gases.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did a thread about the safety of our members here from a natural disaster get derailed into a debate about global warming? Can we get back to finding out if people are safe and learning from their real life experiences? I'd rather find out how people are holding up from this storm than hear about politicized junk science designed to make people think that there is something wrong with the weather and that if we give politicians enough money and power, then they can control the weather and fix something that ain't broke.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Further understanding & the ability to improve predictability of natural disasters is sound science period.

Nobody wants to hear people lost everything in their lives,
It is a responsible aspect of humanity to use our understanding to do all we can.

To think; just keep on doing what your doing because everything will be ok, for your person or our world
is irresponsible & frankly ignorant

Just stocking up on AA's & bottled water isn't fixing anything

recDNA

Flashaholic
^

sidecross, you misunderstood me..

We need to reforest
Develop more renewable energy
Expand nuclear power & limit fossil burning
A very good point. I thought I was the only person who believes we need to increase alternative sources of energy AND nuclear power. It seems like politically we are pushed to go for alternate energy sources and close nuclear power plants which can be more dangerous than using them.

I would also love to hear some stories from members who suffered this disaster but it may take a while before people even want to talk about it.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Further understanding & the ability to improve predictability of natural disasters is sound science period.

Nobody wants to hear people lost everything in their lives,
It is a responsible aspect of humanity to use our understanding to do all we can.

To think; just keep on doing what your doing because everything will be ok, for your person or our world
is irresponsible & frankly ignorant

Just stocking up on AA's & bottled water isn't fixing anything

There is a huge difference between predicting the weather using sound science and attempting to control the weather based on the assumption that the air you exhale is the major cause of severe weather events. Predicting the weather uses real science, study by observation, to come to its conclusions. This can help warn people and keep them out of harm's way. I am not arguing that fact. What I am arguing is that CO2 is not a significant contributor to global warming. The sun itself is the main contributor to our world's changes in temperature and giving the government power to control the air that we breathe is just plain stupid. If you want some truth on the matter, here's a well done video about it from John Coleman, founder of the Weather Channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQS5RhrwLA

Here's an interview of John Coleman on the subject:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk8SSqc7ekM
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PuyvDCF95U
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saqIqea6C0s
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ZXdX3qtQI

Last edited:

RoccoOnFire

Newly Enlightened
Checking in from SC. I am high and dry. I never lost water or power, not even for a minute. I consider myself very fortunate. The state, and my surrounding area for that matter is seriously devastated. I am just a couple miles from some of the worst damage. Several dam failures on a huge series of lakes have wreaked havoc nearby, to an area I almost moved to. My county has over 100 roads and bridges washed out or undercut and still thousands without water and power, many without homes. Our city water supply has been damaged and they are vigorously working on repairs.

There has been a huge outpouring of support from neighboring states and our local communities to help with the displaced. Sadly however there have been many already in the wake of the storm running FEMA scams and looting.

Having been in two other floods of a sizable scale recently before moving here I was well prepared with proper supplies and checked topographical maps to ensure my relative safety from flooding danger. Many here have not dealt with this magnitude of a storm and were ill prepared. Many people buy milk, eggs and bread in the face of losing power. Water, batteries, dry food, and flashlights are an after thought. However, once a dam breaks all bets are off anyways and you better have a bug out bag and an emergency plan.

I never had to use a flashlight for an emergency reason during the entire event. Kind of conflicting mentalities of thank god I didn't have to use those and I didn't get to use those. Considering the loss of life however I feel compelled to think the former.

There is a huge effort in front of the state for repairs and rebuilding to regain a sense of normalcy. The CPF community concern is of great appreciation.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear you're doing okay. Sounds like this flood will be a pretty long term disaster. As the water receeds, you're probably going to have more roads found to be undermined and needing repaired. I wouldn't trust those roads until after they get checked out. Sounds like many of the water pipes underground are damaged and in need of repair. I wonder how long a city can go without potable water as people get sick and disease spreads (black mold in drywall, etc.)? Are there any reports of gators or snakes getting into people's homes with all this water around? I heard about that island made of ants floating around. This is your choice, not mine, but as someone who got lucky during this disaster, I hope you are considering helping out in some way for those who didn't make out so well (take in a homeless friend or two, help with repairs when things get back to normal, loaning out lights to people who lost power, checking in on neighbors that aren't doing so well, etc.).

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes, in regard to mold, stachybotris species are especially hazardous. Usually a "black mold" is something less serious, like aspergillus, but if in doubt, having a mold remediation professional sample it and getting it evaluated by a qualified lab is a must.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did a thread about the safety of our members here from a natural disaster get derailed into a debate about global warming? Can we get back to finding out if people are safe and learning from their real life experiences? I'd rather find out how people are holding up from this storm than hear about politicized junk science designed to make people think that there is something wrong with the weather and that if we give politicians enough money and power, then they can control the weather and fix something that ain't broke.

I think a discussion of climate change is pertinent when discussing severe weather, especially when that weather is changing drastically in severity and frequency. Perhaps we need a new thread started.

The fact that acceptance or denial of science has come to be part of a political ideology is troubling to say the least.

I'm sure we are all concerned for the members of this forum who are suffering the effects of this storm. The way it's looking, there will be more to come, especially if we sit back and do nothing to elicit any change in our habits as a society and species.

MrJino

Enlightened
Good luck to those affected by weather.

Here in california, we are in a severe drought. But they claim we will get massive storms this winter, which will be bad since the super dry land here is not capable of soaking in heavy rains, causing many mud slides near the foothills (where I am).

A little sprinkle and the freeways get congested with fender benders. Good rain, guaranteed car accidents. God forbid it snows here lightly, which has happened a few decades ago, after a heavy drought.