Threads wear faster with lube???

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
D-Dog said:
I saw recently on another thread that using lubricant on the threads of a flashlight can actually wear out the threads faster. Is this true? I am using Nyogel and I want to know if I should just lube the o-ring or both the threads and the o-ring.

If you need to select the proper Nyogel product for your flashlight o-rings and threads (both), the two most often recommended Nyogel products are Nyogel 779zc and Nyogel 760G. If you have an aluminum flashlight, please note the following from the factory literature: Nyogel 779zc ". . . contains special additives for reducing wear of aluminum surfaces."

Also note that many additives that may decrease wear on aluminum threads can actually increase wear on plastic threads.

Last edited:

coppertrail

Enlightened
If both of these products can be used on o-rings and threads, how do you determine which product to use?

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
According to Lighthound (Lighthound.com - who carries both Nyogel 779ZC and Nyogel 760G), Nyogel 760G is the best choice (i.e. the best lubricant for all types of o-rings and can be used on the threads of both plastic and aluminum flashlights).

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
would copper grease be ok?

I thuoght vasaline would be really be for O-rings

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Touching upon several points already mentioned here ... I find that crudely-cut threads will muck up any lubricant quickly with suspended particles. One thought is, although an unlubricated aluminum thread will obviously wear, perhaps each time the threads are opened, the worn aluminum dust has an opportunity to fall (or be blown) away from the threads. On the other hand, with lubrication, these particles are held captive and build up in the threads to form a nice cutting paste which should be cleaned regularly, then the threads relubed. The frequency of necessity should diminish with time, as the rough threads are polished down. Crude threads will muck up a lube in short order. The question is then perhaps not whether lube causes threads to wear faster, but which is worse: lubed threads forming their own cutting paste, or bone-dry threads wearing from a complete lack of lube? This could be a nice experiment.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Turbo DV8 said, always clean the threads before you lube. Lube is good, but some lubes >might< react with the material in the o-rings. Silicone grease is safe with almost everything and Nyogel is one of the best.

There are a lot of threads on this topic, so a search will answer most of your questions.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I ordered some Nyogel today. I ordered a SureFire L4 Lumamax last night. I was told that it comes "Pre Lubed". Should I not wipe and lube when it arrives?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the subject of thread wear, some larger flashlights have quite a stiff spring in the tailcap. I confess that on these lights, my concern for thread wear is such that, while screwing in the cap, I push in on the cap with a force approximately equal to the force exerted back by the spring, so the threads more or less float together instead of grind together on two mating edges. My description makes it sound almost anal, but it's an almost unconscious effort when doing it. Am I the only one who does this, or are there others? Does this level of anality qualify me to now progress from Unenlightened to Enlightened?

Sarratt

Enlightened
This , this , giggling, made me laugh.

Turbo DV8 said:
On the subject of thread wear, some larger flashlights have quite a stiff spring in the tailcap. I confess that on these lights, my concern for thread wear is such that, while screwing in the cap, I push in on the cap with a force approximately equal to the force exerted back by the spring, so the threads more or less float together instead of grind together on two mating edges. My description makes it sound almost anal, but it's an almost unconscious effort when doing it. Am I the only one who does this, or are there others? Does this level of anality qualify me to now progress from Unenlightened to Enlightened?

Sir , your stiff spring and force exerted seems unique.
Unless of course you are speaking of the 'grip and feel and gently turn'
Sadly you must remain Unenlightened.

:drool: