Throw frustration!!!!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it has influence, just was a bit doubtful about "lot better" throw. I think it's at least a slight exaggeration in this case...

Not to mention that tint is highly subjective. In fact, I've heard several people that own both claim that in real world use, the warm version of the Predator actually has MORE effective throw. In really depends on the individual. But I think you are right, in either case, the difference should not be very large.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why lights need to be rated in candela, as well as lumens. The candela (and current) is far more important than lumens. (Dead batteries, mean no light; too dim candela, means you cannot do the task. While lack of flood means you just have to do more light sweeping, which you anyway with eyes as you look around.)

All Lights need to be rated: Each settings' initial current>lumen, lux at 1 meter, hot-spot arc angle, corona angle (medium candela) Plus, kelvin, cri, bin of led, flashlight dimensions/weight and type of controller (with characteristics, including efficiency).

While this would be nice, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. Some of those are highly subjective ratings, and most of them are variable. And most of the important ones are either provided by the manufacturer, or can be found in reviews. Selfbuilt covers almost all of that in his reviews, for example. And although it would be nice if that was all provided up front, testing has shown that you need to take manufacturer's claims with a healthy does of skepticism anyway. Some of them exaggerate by a pretty significant amount.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a picture of the Predator warm vs cool and the cool seemed noticeably punchier, certainly more than a 5% difference IMO. Do the warm and cool XP-G2 have the exact same emission pattern I wonder? I'd try exchanging for CW if you can. But if you want more throw than that you're gonna have to go custom or bigger. Predator is AFAIK still the most throw you can get in a single 18650 production light.

The only XR-E light I had that was able to outthrow my Predator is the Masterpiece Pro-1 which has a significantly larger reflector.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to mention that tint is highly subjective. In fact, I've heard several people that own both claim that in real world use, the warm version of the Predator actually has MORE effective throw. In really depends on the individual. But I think you are right, in either case, the difference should not be very large.

Yes, and I also thought about what difference is required to provide a "lot" better throw with same tint? I think at least twice the candela.

I saw a picture of the Predator warm vs cool and the cool seemed noticeably punchier, certainly more than a 5% difference IMO. Do the warm and cool XP-G2 have the exact same emission pattern I wonder? I'd try exchanging for CW if you can. But if you want more throw than that you're gonna have to go custom or bigger. Predator is AFAIK still the most throw you can get in a single 18650 production light.

The only XR-E light I had that was able to outthrow my Predator is the Masterpiece Pro-1 which has a significantly larger reflector.

I really like my Predator warm. It's really impressive throw for that size of light. I think it pretty well compares to Nitecore MT40(much cooler tint), have not checked that carefully. In around two months I can do it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The cool pred pro is rated at ~ 40 k cd.

That means at 300 meters, its at ~ 0.44 lux on target.

If the Warm Pred is rated at 34 k cd, that means at 300 meters its at ~ 0.38 lux on target.

If the S200C2vn is rated at 137 k cd, it would put ~ 1.52 lux on the 300 meter target.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Skyray you mentioned but I did some searching and it looks like it has been tested at around 28,000 lux @ 1 meter. Pretty respectable for a "cheap" light and a testament to the old XR-E emitter.

I do have the Predator Pro 2.5 XP-G2 Warm which I'm beginning to review. According to NutSAK it has been tested at about 34,000 lux @ 1 meter and that seems reasonable from what I have observed so far, although I haven't tested it myself yet.

However, when I first used the Predator I was completely underwhelmed as its output (total output not throw) seemed to be in line with the 320 lumen SureFire 6PX. It turns out the highest output in the first line had been set at approximately 50% rather than 100%! I don't know whether it happened at the factory or maybe at the retailer but it's something you might want to check out before you buy a different light. After figuring out how to set the brightness to max I like it a little better :twothumbs

Unfortunately the owner's manual had no information about programming the light but you can find instructions in this post over at CPF Marketplace.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it is a little more than your $40 goal, but the Nitecore EA4 can usually be found here in the states for around $60USD. It has a 40 mm bezel, and runs on 4AA cells. Everyone recommends NiMH, for the usual reasons. It is rated at 283 m throw, and 20,000 cd. Those are ANSI numbers. I have the EA4W, which cuts about 25% off those numbers, but my son has the regular cool one, and I could live with that tint as well.

I don't know if there are any import duties if ordering from the states, but it would at least be worth looking into.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should also say that I love my Predator but it's strength is not it's dollar to throw ratio. The programmable interface, solid build and design are all worth the price of admission.

MrNaz

Enlightened
Should also say that I love my Predator but it's strength is not it's dollar to throw ratio. The programmable interface, solid build and design are all worth the price of admission.

Interface, build and design are good, but they don't help when I'm looking for maximum throw. At 200m I don't get more usable light on a target then my existing $15 light, which means that, regardless the other features of the Predator Pro, it does not represent an upgrade on that.

I've been looking around, and am looking at "recoil" reflector lights and aspheric lights. Given that I'll be looking at the spot through a scope with around a 1 to 2 degree field of view, a beam with artifacts or ugly edges isn't really a concern; I just need maximum hotspot. I've found this, which looks like it might just be the ticket:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...oil-Thrower-Review-WARNING-56K-Heavy-Pictures!

It's under $20 and from those beam shots, looks like it will out throw the Predator Pro easily.

Now all I have to do is sell my Predator Pro...

Latest posts