Ti CR2 Ion XT - UPDATED RUNTIME CHARTS 2/11/07

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Overview

First, let me say that this little light is something else... let's start with a picture:

mg9470smod4.jpg

*Lanyard necklace made by greenLED - Thanks Green! Awesome craftsmanship there! :thumbsup:

This is the second Ion I've owned, with the first being an Al version, and the machining and care put into this light is very nice. The twisting action is silky smooth, which is not what I expected. I am still somewhat frustrated with how much the light needs to be turned to go from low to high, but oh well :shrug: - if I thought a light was perfect, I wouldn't have to come to CPF anymore! :grin2:

Beamshot

Moving on, I am not entirely pleased with the beam quality of the light... Here's a beamshot compared to a McLuxIII-PD UX1K on high:

Ti CR2 Ion XT on left, McLuxIII-PD on right
mg9479smcd6.jpg

Besides there being artifacts, the LED is not centered with the reflector, thus making the hotspot slightly off-center (The beamshot is fairly accurate in portraying the off-centered hotspot). Endeavour's statement to this, via PM, is: "LED centering doesn't really matter. I would have thought so as well had I not had perfectly centered Ions with various different beam shading to them. The beam isn't perfect, but as noted in the thread, unless you're white wall hunting it's not a problem in use; That said, I am looking at ways to compensate for the LED variations in future releases." So there you have it!

Here is a photo of the off-centered LED, FYI:
mg9478smpo2.jpg

Runtime

Here's the runtime chart, with one test going straight through, not turning the light off - it ended at 32 minutes. The next test was of the light turned on for 15 minutes, then left off to cool for 10 minutes, then on again for 15, etc. That shut off at 35 minutes - not much of a difference IMHO. Both regulated very nicely.

ticr2ionxtat4.gif

Also, as Enrique said in his info thread, the low setting with RCR2's is much higher than low on primaries - 10 lux with a primary, and 120 lux with the RCR2. That's also something to take into consideration.

*UPDATE 1/10/07 - Thanks to nystrpr, who sent me some CR2 Lithium batteries to do tests with, I've got an updated runtime chart on high! This is how the light seems to have been designed to perform... it makes me really happy to see such great results, but a little sad to see the poor AW RCR2 not given its full opportunity to shine. Anyways, that lithium battery sure looked good!

Note that the battery tested at 4.144 volts for the "straight-through" test, and 4.180 volts for the "intermittent test".

I have to admit that I am dissapointed with the runtime on RCR2's - I wish it was much closer to the 90 minutes Enrique anticipated a primary to run to... although this light was not designed to run RCR2's, Enrique has given the OK to do so. So take the results with that in mind. :shrug:

*UPDATE 2/11/07 Here is a runtime test done on LOW level with the Energizer E2 CR2 Lithium battery, thanks to nystrpr for the battery again! Endeavor advertised ~40 hour runtime on low, although I only got 31.5 hours at a pretty steady 21 lux. Still great, although not quite as advertised.

ticr2ionxtlowqg5.jpg

Conclusion

One more note: while unscrewing the head to change batteries, the retaining ring popped out onto my bed... this is kind of cause for concern, as if I was anywhere dark or outside, this tiny ring would have been lost for good. I'm not sure what the explanation is, but I put it back on, and have changed the battery twice since, with no troubles. :)

Other than that, as many know, the size and feel of this light is great... the knurling not too aggressive, but still provides a slight increase in grip. The keyring locks nicely in place, but is not so tight as the previous Ion run.

Overall, I'm pleased with the light, aside from the led not being centered and the decreased runtime on RCR2's.

Thanks to Enrique for producing such a fine light, and keeping constant and honest communication to his anxious and happy customers!

Best,
John :)

Last edited:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Re: Ti CR2 Ion XT - Runtime, Pics, Beamshots, and Opinions

Nice review, just a pity about the wonky beam :|

The runtime test, was that done on high? If so can you do one on low as well :)

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast

jch are you saying that there is no low with RCR's?

Also, as Enrique said in his info thread, the low setting with RCR2's is much higher than low on primaries - 10 lux with a primary, and 120 lux with the RCR2. That's also something to take into consideration.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review, John!!! :goodjob:

I have one of these coming to me......I didn't know what to expect, but your review definitely clears things up!!! I'm looking forward to this light!

:thumbsup: WP

jch79

Concept said:
jch are you saying that there is no low with RCR's?
Hey Concept! :wave:

It lays out like this:

CR2 Low: 10 Lux
RCR2 Low: 120 Lux
CR2 High: 250 Lux
RCR2 High: 250 Lux

So there is a low, however it's a lot brighter than the CR2. I hope that clears things up!

john

jch79

Led_Blind said:
The runtime test, was that done on high? If so can you do one on low as well
Yep - the runtime test was done on high - it might be interesting to see what the RCR2 low achieves, as it's a pretty useable beam... :thinking:
Maybe this weekend if I have a chance! :) Thanks for the idea!
john

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the alum. bronze version and I absolutely love mine with AW's RCR2 which works fine. The two beams are just right for my uses and the light is built like a tank, one of the best built custom lights I've owned. I can use high beam and walk in the woods on a moonless nite with no problem and I use the low mostly for reading. One hell of a light in my view!

jch79

Irp - you have an aluminum bronze version of Endeavour's new CR2 Ion XT?? To my knowledge, he only has made them in Titanium thus far.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, I have the first version. Been thinking about the new version, however, mine is all I need for a keychain light.

ibcj

Enlightened

I threw an Energizer Lithium CR2 in my Ti Ion XR-E and it ran for exactly 1:30 on high, then it flickered for a few seconds and was slightly dimmer. It was still much brighter than the low mode, and I let it run for another 20 minutes at that level and stopped it because I had somewhere to go.

I'd be interested to see runtime tests for primary cells.

jch79 - If you are willing to do the tests, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple Energizer Lithium CR2's.

jch79

nystrpr said:
jch79 - If you are willing to do the tests, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple Energizer Lithium CR2's.
Man - you've got to be one of the most generous CPF'rs out there! :) Heck, if you want to see the results, I'll go buy some Energizer Lithiums tomorrow and run the test! I should probably do the intermittent test, shutting the light off for 10 minutes every 15 minutes to keep it cool. Unless anyone thinks otherwise, that's what I'll do.
john

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks jch.

I was also wondering if when the split ring came out on yours could it have allowed the LE assembly to become off center. Can you remove the ring and realign the LE?

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened

My beam is centered. There are mild artifacts consistent with the beamshot above but it's only noticeable against a wall. I haven't had any issues in actual use.

I have never seen or owned such a fine and practical pocket light.

Very nice review.

jch79

Concept said:
I was also wondering if when the split ring came out on yours could it have allowed the LE assembly to become off center. Can you remove the ring and realign the LE?
It didn't affect the LE being off-center - it was off-center before the retaining ring came off, and was exactly the same after - I don't want to purposely take if off, but if Endeavour rings in and says it could help, it might be worth a shot :shrug:.

Nystrpr was kind enough to send me a couple of Energizer Lithium CR2's (despite me asking him not to! :thumbsup: nystrpr!), so as soon as I get those, expect to see an update to this thing!

So tonight, besides my mCree XR19-C, my Ti CR2 Ion XT is coming out to bring in 2007 - which is 53 minutes away by my clock! (gulp - still have to drive to the party I'm going to!)

john

StuGatz

Enlightened

Great post...

Stuart

jch79

Re: Ti CR2 Ion XT - UPDATED RUNTIME CHARTS 1/10/07!

The first post is updated to include a test on high with an Energizer e2 Lithium CR2 cell - thanks to nystrpr for providing the batteries!!! :thumbsup: :) :wave:

A note on the lithium test that I did last night: The light lasted for about an hour and a half AFTER the test results that I posted, before it went completely out - this gives it a 4 hour total runtime - going from 90 minutes of total regulated brightness, and 130 minutes of slowly dimming light, but still useable in reading/emergency situations.

Still to come will be a test on low, which I am not sure how to carry out, as I'm usually not around the house that long, and manually log the light measurements... I'll probably just time it so that I can check on it every 10 minutes or so.

:) john

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I observed that the low is visibly lower than the high, but just barely, with a fresh RCR2,
and that low drops down as the battery discharges.

One way to discern the state of charge of the battery is to compare the high and the low.
If you have a really low low, your battery is almost done.

I haven't done a runtime test on mine because it gets kinda warm after a while on high if I don't keep it in my hand.

Last edited:

Led_Blind

Enlightened

very sweeeeet.

Just wondering, has anyone grinded a parobolic shape into the reflector yet?