• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD Condolences Thread

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My financial situation and obligation to my wonderful girlfriend allowed me to make the decision that a Ti-pd just wasn't feasible at this time . While this was a bummer decision to have to make, I'm certain that my dissapointment was certainly much less than that of the many with the funds and opportunity to make a Ti-Pd purchase. It must have really bit the big one to have Ti-Pd lust build to a fevers pitch only to have it go unsatisfied because an email took 13 min and 35 seconds to compose and send.

Congratulations to Don , though. I also think it is the fair thing to do , to not limit quanitity since Don owes it to himself and his family to strike while the titanium is hot. I also think that it's great that he will be considering another run and hope that he doesn't even consider going to the presale prepay situation that is such a headache to deal with and is often construed by less experienced CPFers as a license to be a bit demanding. CPF lust has it's dark side and I certainly enjoy Don's interactive presence here.

Since Don hasn't said he'd limit quanitity and in fact has stated that he won't , perhaps those who speculated and bought multiples for resale might be dissapointed with non stratospheric resale prices. After all, if these lights are really great, they should be really great in and of themselves apart from percieved monetary resale value. I've certainly no beef with the multiple buyers but would hope that all who lust after these lights get a reasonable opportunity to own one (includeing me) .

Long live McGizmo, the Ti-Pd, the buyers and may all who missed out have a Ti-Pd within grasp in short order!:)

Dogliness

Enlightened
I did something similar to what revv11 and PoliceScannerMan did. From a post Don made earlier in the day when he gave the time on his watch and said he would go by his watch, I determined his watch was about 4 minutes fast. I prepared my e-mail message so I would have it ready to send. I refreshed the McGizmo site at 4 minutes before the hour, saw the sales thread was posted, hit the send button on my e-mail, and then opened the sales thread and posted. I feel fortunate to have sent the e-mail in time, and badly for those who wanted the flashlight but didn't get one. I hope Don does another run of the flashlight.

rscanady

Enlightened
xochi,
I am right there with ya on that one, funds cant justify the purchase at this time and I knew they wouldn't last long to I purposely left my computer last night just so I would not be tempted.

As for the method's Don uses to sell his wares, well they are his methods and his wares and have worked well so far. I dont need to remind anyone about past pre-pays gone bad, those who have been around long enough know what I mean.

Congrats to everyone who got one or more if they so desired, and for those who didn't, Don did say that another run might be in the future and there is always the B/S/T. Yes I know these will go up for sale at inflated prices so I soon think we will see exactly what the market demand for these is in price of $$$$.

Cheers,

Ryan

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
One thing that I failed to realize was that Don was going to start a *new* thread at the opening of the sale. Several minutes into the sale, I was still on the Pre-Order thread happily refreshing my browser.

About 3 minutes past, I realized what was going on and fortunately I had my email pre-composed. I sent my email directly to the pacbell address knowing that this forum was going to swamp to a near halt - which it did. It was taking over 60 seconds to refresh starting shortly before the hour.

I was very lucky to get in with my second choice bin: TW0J

My wife who has a huge vintage Barbie collection totally encouraged me to vie for a spot in Don's build queue. She must have asked me 10 times last night, "Did you get a confirmation yet?".

This light is going to be the "gold watch" that I pass along to my son. Of course, I get to play with it (hopefully) for many years until then!

cy

Flashaholic
I sent multiple emails reqesting to get on a list long before this run was anounced.

I sent an email aprox. 20 minutes after post was anounced to find out I missed the cut.

how hard is it to post a thread in advance with a confirmation list? No fuss, no muss...

since another run is coming, everyone that wants a Ti PD will get one.

IMHO it would be fairer in a sell out situation to limit quantities to one until everyone has a chance to get one first.

congrats to Don for selling out!

Regentag

Banned
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
All's fair, but love and war.....and Ti-PD purchases..... :naughty:

WP

Actually, it's the other way around - All is fair *in* love and war, meaning The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war and implying that this is not the case elsewhere.

So was this love or war?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to comment a bit on this.

I did order 2 Ti-PD. My intention is to offer one of those to my girlfriend for her birthday. She doesn't even know it, but she knows the value of this light, really. He birthday is in several month time, but my plan is that this so unique light will be her present. That is to say that those who ordered two or more Ti-PD may not have done so to keep them for themselves. That does changes the thing, don't you think? I don't see any difference between me ordering two lights -one for me, one for my girlfriend-, and me and my girlfriend ordering one light at the same time from the same computer and that I pay for the two. Except that in the second case, she wouldn't have any surprise.

Secondly I don't feel very well to read what you said. I feel like I've done something bad.
I missed the first Ti lights from Don. I did never forgive it to myself, but I've been sport. The smartest thing I tough I could do is initiate the poll about another run with the hope that it would lead to it.

I'm still a student. with the money I earn, I've had some hard time to save the money to buy my dream light. And in several months, I will have to manage the end of my studies, and the beginning of my working life. That, also can possibly be hard time, I just don't know yet and will find out soon enough, but that's a possibility.
If it were to happen, and if it happens before my girlfriend birthday, I may have to consider reselling one of the two lights, or event both of them. I can't tell you how pissed-off I would be to do so and how sorry I would secretly feel for my girlfriend, but if it has to be done, I would really not appreciate to be blamed or criticized for that, because what people see is only a guy ordering more than one Ti-PD and then several weeks later reselling them at high $. Hopefully I will never have to come to this.

This is just to say that you can't judge the people who ordered more than one. You just don't know what they're going to do with them, nor what their intention is. Things are not that simple.

Don't misunderstand me. I know your pain and haven't forgotten how it feels to miss a run like this. I don't see any good reason to limit the number of lights per person, that said, I'm talking of several lights, not several dozen of lights. A speculator who buy all of the 85 lights in the unique intend of reselling them for twice the $ would not be very nice.

Now as Don stated, it is very likely that another run of these takes place in the near future. Don't give up, you'll get yours when the time comes.
grouphug.gif

ps : english is not my native language, I've learnt it. I hove my message will not be misunderstood because of my limited english skills, basiquely I'm just saying that those who ordered more than one Ti-PD should not be blamed or disparaged

charlesn said:
Given the number of people who were shut out so quickly, the fact that others will be receiving 2 or 3 Ti PDs (or possibly more for all I know) is difficult to justify

rscanady

Enlightened
cd-card-biz said:
This light is going to be the "gold watch" that I pass along to my son. Of course, I get to play with it (hopefully) for many years until then!

The problem with this, is that (at least to me) flashlights are not timeless, at least not the technology inside. I collect knives too, and to me those are timeless but the tech geek in me likes the flashlight. I just cant see this being passed on in 15 years is all.

Please do not take any offense to this, I have seen this comment quite a bit and just cant understand it.

Regards,

Ryan

rscanady

Enlightened
tino_ale,
IMO you have done nothing wrong and if you should decide to resell one of your lights at double the price, that is your perogative, people can vote with their wallets.

Ryan

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
tino_ale said:
I'd like to comment a bit on this.

I did order 2 Ti-PD. My intention is to offer one of those to my girlfriend for her birthday. She doesn't even know it, but she knows the value of this light, really. He birthday is in several month time, but my plan is that this so unique light will be her present. That is to say that those who ordered two or more Ti-PD may not have done so to keep them for themselves. That does changes the thing, don't you think? I don't see any difference between me ordering two lights -one for me, one for my girlfriend-, and me and my girlfriend ordering one light at the same time from the same computer and that I pay for the two. Except that in the second case, she wouldn't have any surprise.

This reminds me of that "Simpson's" episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball for her birthday.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
rscanady said:
The problem with this, is that (at least to me) flashlights are not timeless, at least not the technology inside. I collect knives too, and to me those are timeless but the tech geek in me likes the flashlight. I just cant see this being passed on in 15 years is all.

Please do not take any offense to this, I have seen this comment quite a bit and just cant understand it.

Regards,

Ryan

You're right. I'll get him a gold watch and keep the light. Thanks!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dogliness said:
I did something similar to what revv11 and PoliceScannerMan did. From a post Don made earlier in the day when he gave the time on his watch and said he would go by his watch, I determined his watch was about 4 minutes fast. I prepared my e-mail message so I would have it ready to send. I refreshed the McGizmo site at 4 minutes before the hour, saw the sales thread was posted, hit the send button on my e-mail, and then opened the sales thread and posted. I feel fortunate to have sent the e-mail in time, and badly for those who wanted the flashlight but didn't get one. I hope Don does another run of the flashlight.

Genius! Woe to the world should you ever decide to use your powers for evil. You must have been tickled to see the thread open exactly as predicted.

Good to see the smart and early bird got the worm.

In all honesty, your perceptive genius gave me quite a smile.

Regentag

Banned
Sturluson said:
...you left off the important ending: sic transit gloria mundi - for flashlights are only transient things of this world. It's the emotion and feeling we put in them that makes them objects of glory.

Mundi indeed. Personally, I'm going to stop short of deifying the Ti PD, at this point.

Perhaps in Elysium or Shangri-La we will all run about naked (in the dark) with a Ti PD in each hand...

Cheers,

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I earned this flashlight. I sold a chunk of my collection, I held off from buying other lights, i put in overtime to add some funds, and i was right there running with the other guys. For me to get one, it took alot of work. This light will be the most treasured light in my collection, and the work it took to achieve this will add value to the light that only I can enjoy. I know this will be outdated in years to come, but I dont see people throwing away old ARC lights. This light, for me, is a symbol of why this hobby is so damn fun, to share this experience with everyone else buying the light. I WILL ENJOY THIS LIGHT. Long live the latest McLux masterpiece.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lets see 100 people have been discussing the Ti PD for several months. The McluxIII T sells out in minutes.
Don flys the for sale sign at a time known to all, everybody knew what to put in the e-mail and you guys are surprised that this program sold out in minutes?
What are you guys thinking?
If you didn't think it was going to be hard to get then why in the world were you all refreshing every 30 (or less)seconds? This is a no brainier. I don't know what planet you guys are on but I knew absolutely that this light would be gone extremely fast.

Check this out. I haven't been focused on this thread for months. I knew that Don would make this light sooner or later.
Without even wading through all of the pages and pages of the pre-sales thread. I just happened to shoot of a message to don yesterday explaining my ignorance, I was lucky I did because he sent me a message explaining in detail what he was going to do. I became worried and excited at the same time.
I created my short clear concise e-mail message and waited. When I saw the sales thread I hit send. I made it.
This is not luck this is timing.
Now if everybody had done that then it would have come down to luck.

The success of this sale doesn't surprise me one bit. The "T" sold out instantly and it was a ground breaking and very expensive light. The Ti Pd is no less ground breaking and even more expensive.

We should thank Don for not charging more. We should thank him for not selling half of them on eBay.
Maybe it's because I own a few of Don's lights, that I had known without a sliver of doubt that these lights wouldn't last long.
The same will be true of the next batch and any light that follows.
Don is THE master flashlight maker. Not one of but THE one. Demand far out strips supply. The system Don has in place works perfectly and has from the start. It uses the honor system. It has not failed. Every thing I have ever purchased from don has been shipped before I paid for it. Including the T.
This is an amazing way to do business. The two parties have to trust each other. Why in the world would you ask Don to change this I have no idea.
The fact is that changes were made in the sense that we were all warned about the impending sale, the ground rules were made available in advance. Yet some people waited too long to hit send. Just as well really.
I do know this: I couldn't refresh the page because of the heavy reloading that was going on.
This alone is an indicator that these wouldn't last long.

Don thanks for selling these to us instead of on eBay where they would command much higher prices.
Don thanks for being the stand up fellow that you are.
Have fun building all those flashlights.
Yaesumofo

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
retracted - think i was just bitter that i showed up an hour late - truly what happened was entirely predictable.

Last edited:

chocho

Newly Enlightened
photorob said:
I had to work last night and I wasn't able to get to a computer till two hours after the opening so i obvisiously got shut out. I've been looking forward to this light for a year now but I knew they would go quick. I don't mind if people bought more then one. i kinda wanted two of them myself. I do however reserve the right to curse out the first person theat sells his light on BST for double the price

It won't be on BST for double the price.
It will be on EBAY where it will end up quadruple the price. :eeksign:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys and again sorry.

I think the fault lies in the fact that these lights are 2 to 3 months late. When I commited to this run and ordered the parts, I recall that I ordered about double the number that was stated as a definite would buy in the poll thread. As time went on, that number grew.

Last night was a situation that hyped itself it seems to me and I wonder how many were caught up in the event itself and let that make their decision to order VS a consideration merely of the light itself and its assumed utility and value.

While this program dragged on, some of the McLuxIII-T's showed up in aftermarket sales and sold for prices well above the original asking price! Was this because I didn't ask what the market would bear, sold to low or was this a matter of perceived scarceness with a value added for unobtanium? I would guess the last part. I think this had a result of placing a perceived value on the Ti PD higher than its asking price. I think the Ti PD became a good deal in the minds of many. Well obviously I would rather the light be perceived as a good deal than a bad deal but IMHO, the light is priced as a reasonable and fair deal with all things considered. I don't want to play the market, just makes stuff I believe in and bring it to market.

Prepay is never going to happen! I feel bad enough at the disappointment many faced last night and all I owed them was my best shot at doing something fair and as good as I could. Had I taken prepayment on a program that ended up 3 months late I would be a basket case of remorse!

Preorder or interest lists don't have the burden of funds to track and hold in trust but they do have the burden of additional record keeping, communications and organization. This is all fine and dandy if one is at the keyboard while others do the build but if you are a one man operation, this is time ill spent; especially if you are as inept at the key board as I am! Any such list is subject to change; additions and deletions and as time goes on, the dynamics of the market and perceptions could cause the list to grow beyond initial scope or shrink to nothing. That is if there is no implied or bound obligation and I for one don't want anyone obligated to me or me to them beyond the present case of an order placed and timely fulfillment of that order.

This situation became a one day sale and there wasn't enough product brought to the sale to satisfy those who gathered for it. I also think there was a frenzy among those gathered that brought about more pressure on demand than otherwise would have been the case. People ended up in a waiting line and it became clear to all that not everyone would advance through the line with success.

Now had I made the run size twice the size it was, I think all would have been served and there would be some left for stragglers. There was a time a month or more back where I considered this and considered doubling the order size but frankly I couldn't take the financial risk under the circumstances. This is due much in part that there is another project in the works that is still much vapor and uncertainty but a reality in financial obligation. I screwed up with disappointing results for many. :banghead:

Well so much for this. I have a bunch of lights to build and I need to take a look at placing another order with the machine shop.

kevindick

Newly Enlightened
ouchmyfinger said:
... but the fact that this sort of effort is required to purchase a flashlight that costs $425 is, well, kind of sickening.

It might be sickening, but it shouldn't be surprising. It's not the absolute price of $425 that's the issue. It's that the offered price is way below the true market price.

Therefore, you've got a class economic case of rationing. Long lines and shortages are exactly what the textbooks say you'll get.

There's no inherent value to a light, only what it's worth to people. And this light is clearly worth way more than $425.