• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Titanium Aeon Mk. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

persco

Enlightened
... persco: After the Aeons are done I'll open up for the Nautilus lights. It's a small batch of around 30, and will be done with a substantially faster turnaround time than this project was. Compared to the Aeon Mk. II you're looking at a bit of a smoother beam pattern, and close to double the runtime in a bit of a larger package to accommodate a CR123. All three modes are the same on both lights...

Enrique

Thanks for the update, Enrique! I am so down for a Nautilus. Also, we've waited since last summer for the Aeon (ever since Tony posted to his blog), so what's a few more weeks, really? Nothing. Your lights are worth the wait...

Very excited!

JayDub

Newly Enlightened
I just sent you an email Enrique since I am just now learning that the status has changed on this project. I am surprised there were no emails sent to those who paid deposits since we all used PayPal. A two week window for me to check on this project is not very long, especially without push notifications.

David
Same here - sheer luck that I happened upon this thread in time.

You can subscribe to any thread, so that anytime there are new posts you will be immediately notified via email.
I am subscribed and have not been getting notifications. So, that isn't even a sure way.

Emails should have been sent.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
There are several ways to stay on top of a thread. One is to do a search for the OP, Endeavor, in this case, and find that person's latest threads. Or do a search for the thread title, or the item that you are interested in, The Titanium MK II, in this case. The other way to to frequent CPF often, and review New Posts, where a thread such as The Titanium MK II would pop up. Another way is to go to the forum where one's interested thread, or topic is and look for it. I know that CPF was down for awhile, and some starter threads were lost, but by searching about, one can find the topic that they are interested in.

Bill

dmk005

Newly Enlightened
Why is a direct email to those who ponied up $180 towards this light such an issue? We've put our money where our intentions are and I think it befits the situation better than posting to a board and counting on people catching it somehow. Is it more work? Perhaps, but at some point the work has to be worth it, especially with a bumpy-yet worthy ride such as this one. Just my opinion.

nbp

Flashaholic
I personally wouldn't want to sift through 100+ PP receipts to find all the email addresses and send them out when I could post once to the SALE thread and inform everyone at the same time, and I assume that was Enrique's logic as well. Based on the fact that it seems only 2 or 3 people didn't continue to follow the thread and know what was going on, the logic seems sound. :shrug:

If anything else needs to be said, Enrique can say it himself. I can't fault him for how he ran the sale.

dmk005

Newly Enlightened
You make a good point about PP. I have only sold to one person at a time. Do they not have tools for power users who might need to contact all buyers within a specific sale? It would seem silly for PP to require heavy lifting to do so for the seller. Most of my anxiety came when I saw I missed a two week window to pay the remainder. I have since connected with Ernrique and all is good.

I am still on board and excited for the pay off.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
JayDub: Thank you for your commentary. I believe you've made your point plenty clear here and on Tony's blog multiple times now. Notwithstanding, I do not currently have time to spend many hours figuring out how to compile a private e-mail list, nor send out over a hundred individual e-mails when people can simply check for their information here, as they always have without issue for over nine years until your complaint. If you are having trouble with your thread notification settings, please contact a forum moderator and I'm sure they'd be happy to assist you.

nbp: Soon! :) Believe me, as much as you're looking forward to receiving it, I'm looking forward to getting it out to you and wrap here.

persco: Thanks for the kind words, and your patience. I do hope that the lights prove to have been worth the wait for everyone (and that karma leads to markedly speedier projects in the future!).

KuanR: The parts are CP2 titanium, like the Aeons and Nautilus before this version.

dmk005: Even with the two-week "deadline", people aren't just bumped off, as you yourself have seen. I have no interest or reason in preventing people from getting their lights. How it works is that at two weeks the small handful of people missing will be contacted, reminding them of the project, and if they still don't respond (there's always some that don't) they get their money refunded and the next person on the list moves up. I haven't even bothered contacting stragglers yet and have left everything in a holding pattern until the boards are done and tested, giving everyone more time in light of the delay.

As for the rest, PayPal's payment systems are junk, the only reason I use them is because everyone has an account. I've never done e-mail lists, or run projects that way, and don't really plan to start. The only two people who have ever had a problem with the way these projects have been run came from reading Tony's blog, presumably because he tried being helpful by posting payment details on his site when these forums went down at the start of the project, and then maybe you never made it back here. :shrug: Regardless, though, this is where the project is run from - this has been mentioned by me, and others, multiple times now. If you have questions you can always e-mail me.

Enrique

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It is for some of us! ;D Around June it won't go darker than twilight.
We won't even be getting twilight come June - find a shaded spot under the biggest tree and read a fine print book all night long without any eyestrain.

That's why we've got to be creative and look for unlighted conex's to search in order to use our lights.

fyrstormer

Banned
I think the real cause for the recent strife isn't really the lack of email notifications, it's the two-week deadline to pay the remaining balance.

It takes a couple minutes of each buyer's time to check CPF every few days to get updates on this thread, whereas it would take a few hours of Enrique's time to round up all the email addresses of all the buyers and send emails to all of them. So yes, it is reasonable for Enrique to post status updates in this thread, instead of spamming them to all the buyers individually. HOWEVER, it would be extremely unpleasant for someone who has waited 8 months for an Aeon Mark Two to discover the light they reserved had been sold to someone else, because they were busy with life and hadn't had time to log into CPF in a couple weeks.

Obviously Enrique can't wait forever for people to remember to pay him, but two weeks is actually a pretty narrow time-window considering we all work for a living, and some of us have kids too. It would be easy for someone who travels for business or goes on vacation to miss that two-week time-window. Maybe a month would be a more reasonable time-window for buyers to check-in and pay their remaining balances; after all, they've have already waited several times as long just for the product to be ready.

fyrstormer

Banned
All that being said, it's good to hear the boards only have a minor soldering defect. It should be relatively easy to resolve that. I've heard that lead-free solder has this problem a lot, where the cooling solder will grow pointy crystals that can bridge narrow gaps between solder pads. The common solution is to space the solder pads further apart, but that isn't always possible to do until component manufacturers redesign their components with wider wire-lead spacing.

Rudi

Enlightened
Enrique has already stated that this is not the case; that after two weeks he'll first attempt to contact whoever hasn't responded. It is time to end this irrelevant ranting.

persco

Enlightened
I think the real cause for the recent strife isn't really the lack of email notifications, it's the two-week deadline to pay the remaining balance.

It takes a couple minutes of each buyer's time to check CPF every few days to get updates on this thread, whereas it would take a few hours of Enrique's time to round up all the email addresses of all the buyers and send emails to all of them. So yes, it is reasonable for Enrique to post status updates in this thread, instead of spamming them to all the buyers individually. HOWEVER, it would be extremely unpleasant for someone who has waited 8 months for an Aeon Mark Two to discover the light they reserved had been sold to someone else, because they were busy with life and hadn't had time to log into CPF in a couple weeks.

Obviously Enrique can't wait forever for people to remember to pay him, but two weeks is actually a pretty narrow time-window considering we all work for a living, and some of us have kids too. It would be easy for someone who travels for business or goes on vacation to miss that two-week time-window. Maybe a month would be a more reasonable time-window for buyers to check-in and pay their remaining balances; after all, they've have already waited several times as long just for the product to be ready.

Of course, the other solution to this problem is to pay in full up front. We all know Enrique can be trusted, so I just paid him in full back in August. I knew if something happened, he'd just refund me. Then you don't have to worry about two week or one month windows to pay the remaining balance. You just have to wait for the light to arrive!

fyrstormer

Banned
Enrique has already stated that this is not the case; that after two weeks he'll first attempt to contact whoever hasn't responded. It is time to end this irrelevant ranting.
Ah, I missed that bit. The first post in the thread just says unclaimed lights will be put up for sale after two weeks. Good to have the clarification.

That's the last I'll say on that topic.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Just picked up a used aluminum Aeon and I am very impressed. If any more of these come available, I am definitely interested!

EDIT: Email sent about getting on the waiting list.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, actually.

I received the first set of boards back from the shop on Friday and had a chance over the last few days to build and test them. Everything is solid and a batch of 15 lights is going out tomorrow. I'm still waiting on the rest of the boards to arrive from the assembly shop before the rest of the lights are built and shipped (in the order in which the orders were received). Once the rest of the boards get done the rest of the lights will go out pretty quickly.

Almost done!

Enrique

Status
Not open for further replies.