• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TN42vn - Reflector Throw King

ven

Flashaholic
It can be tricky with huge smooth reflectors, if you do decide on a 5000k implant, maybe vinh can try focusing it(if possible).............again just thoughts.

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good evaluation--I just have a TK61vn PDT and a stock TN42 5000k tint---I to prefer the TK61 for some reason
RINGS--I hate rings especially on close area trails--Eagletacs are infamous for Rings

Capolini

Banned
Good evaluation--I just have a TK61vn PDT and a stock TN42 5000k tint---I to prefer the TK61 for some reason
RINGS--I hate rings especially on close area trails--Eagletacs are infamous for Rings

That is it chops!

When I am shining at a distant tree top,,no problem. When I was walking down the trail it really bothered me. iirc since I only used it last night. The first ~4 or 5' in front of me are Dark. The next 4 or 5 feet have rings, then the illumination starts! that is just an estimate.

The only thing I can do is to accept it or sell the light!

Capolini

Banned
I used the light again tonight on my favorite local hiking trail. I enjoyed it more. One reason was that I did NOT focus on the first 8 or 9 feet in front of me where the darkness and rings are!

I passed one guy on the trail. The most important thing is that he had a light. Too many people walking and riding bikes choose not to have a light! :shakehead Their prerogative but sometimes they get accidentally blasted by 4,5,6,7,800Kcd from several hundred yards!,anyway back to this guy. He had a light that was about 50 lumens! It works, I saw him. After I past him I pointed my TN42vn straight down the trail again and started laughing at the mass of light I had compared to him.My eyes were basically night adapted because after I saw him and for about 3 or 4 minutes until I passed him, I shined my TN42vn in air because I was doing a MAX run time test!

The temp was 52F/11C and I ran it on MAX for 37 consecutive minutes. It started to get hot after ~20 minutes but not the handle,,,at least not the majority of the handle. The head is so massive and the handle is a bit small for my hands!

Tonight is a PERFECT example of why I do incremental MAX run time tests when I first get a light.

Battery-Samsung 30Q
Purchased:October 11,2016
Cycles:5
Loft Temp. 62F/16.6C
Torch:TN42vn Spec 1
Increments w/ 5 minutes rest

15 min=3.97v
30 min=3.74v
40 min =3.55v

My longest hike to the halfway point where I change torches is 37 Minutes! I will have no problem running this on max the whole time!

Tonight was my longest trail hike! I used it on MAX for 37 consecutive minutes and the Voltage when I got home[`12 minutes later] was 3.59V:D For every light I have I know how long I can run it until the batteries are ~ 3.60v. I never needed or had to use a low voltage indicator.

As summer approaches and the weather warms up I probably will not be able to use it for more than 15 minutes on max,,,,just the same w/ my TK75vn and K40vn. TK61vn can go ~ 20 consecutive minutes on max in the summertime!:naughty:

P.S VEN I changed my mind again,,,,,,,,,,These 30Q'S are staying in the light,,,,,,,,,,,there is no rattle unless I shake the light!:laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
Great info, as always lots of detail:)

:laughing: Like it, like saying my eye hurts when i poke it!! well dont poke it then:nana:

Bang for buck those 30Q's are hard to beat, maybe next time you buy some cells aim for BT ones. In flashlights they do offer more flexibility over flat tops, just make that little difference in fit. Last few 30Q and vtc6 have been BT's, simply for that reason. Flip side, vape cells for example that go into ecig mods require FT's or will not fit. Of course it goes without saying these cells are all separate and not mixed up. Lot of my mods are duel cell, so set pairs of vtc5/vtc6 tend to be used.

Glad your enjoying the tn42vn more, i think soon it will be love:D After all, within reason the tn42vn is pretty much king or at least of a usable beam anyway(not a tiny hot spot/no spill). The reflector part itself is a work of art..................

hahoo

Enlightened
Great info, as always lots of detail:)

:laughing: Like it, like saying my eye hurts when i poke it!! well dont poke it then:nana:

Bang for buck those 30Q's are hard to beat, maybe next time you buy some cells aim for BT ones. In flashlights they do offer more flexibility over flat tops, just make that little difference in fit. Last few 30Q and vtc6 have been BT's, simply for that reason. Flip side, vape cells for example that go into ecig mods require FT's or will not fit. Of course it goes without saying these cells are all separate and not mixed up. Lot of my mods are duel cell, so set pairs of vtc5/vtc6 tend to be used.

Glad your enjoying the tn42vn more, i think soon it will be love:D After all, within reason the tn42vn is pretty much king or at least of a usable beam anyway(not a tiny hot spot/no spill). The reflector part itself is a work of art..................

i bet that tk61 will still out throw it:laughing:;)

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these running the protected or unprotected 18650 cells? Button top? What is the preferred brand to run in this light?

Thanks fellas,

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these running the protected or unprotected 18650 cells? Button top? What is the preferred brand to run in this light?

Thanks fellas,
Almost invariably, V54 lights use unprotected batteries. Generally considered best bang for the buck among high amp draw cells is Samsung 30Q

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order placed! My first V54.:twothumbs

Now the dreaded wait and stalking of the mail man:laughing::whistle::devil:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fellas!
Yes time to research some flooders now.
I got the CW. I love the cool white tint.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
choppers said:
[.......] I love the cool white tint.
I thought I was the only one. It looks ok/fine to me, especially with throwers.

You will love the TN42vn; I am anxious to see what comes next to supplant it.