• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TorchLAB V4 Triple LED drop ins - Full Boost, Thermal, and Voltage Regulation

FPSRelic

Enlightened
That was exactly my thought as well. Approximately 20% less lumens with 33% more run time.
JD

I consider myself fortunate enough to have gotten a V4 Triple XP-E L3. They have more throw than the old XPG emitters did, and I would say that they have better throw to my eyes than the H3 XPG-2 (even though lux readins apparently say different).

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Dan, are you guys considering a V4 H3N XP-G2 in 4000K? I really like the tint of the ones in the Malkoff M61N series.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Its certainly possible, but a neutral XPG2 option is already in the channel and changes to/in the channel are difficult.

We hear the interest for LED options and are already researching ways to make additional LED options, more practical.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
My Torchlab H3 L/M/H Nichia 219 arrived yesterday and it's just what I wanted: In a Oveready 6P Host with 18350s it is a general usage high CRI flashlight with a nice floody beam for indoor use but with a lot of OOMPF in reserve should I need it. On medium it is almost as bright as my Malkoff M91W and on high it blows it away. I especially like the fact that the spill starts almost at my feet when I hold it horizontally: The Malkoff emits a cone of spill, but it only starts about 2-3 feet in front of me. I also have a bored A19 extender and 18500s, but as I won't use the high often I like the smaller form-factor. It will be my new EDC for now! Thanks Oveready!!!

Last edited:

Maxbelg

Enlightened
Just did a test run with the MegaFive Beefy Bezel with the bored 6p host with two (2) AW IMR 18350 batteries.

It lasted 4 and 1/2 minutes on high until the protection kicked in.

My unscientific testing. 2.59 Amps measure at tailcap.

All test began at room temperature with v4.0 Torchlab H3N, bored 6p, different bezel.

5.5 minutes on High- Bored 6p with Cryos cooling head and a McClicky tailcap with (2) two AW IMR 18350 **Disclosure- My hand was around the bezel, which may have help the runtime?**
4.5 minutes on High- Bored 6p with MegaFive Beefy Head with McClicky tailcap with (2)two AW IMR 18350 **My hand was not around the bezel, due to the bezel's size.*
4 minutes on High- Bored 6p with standard bezel with (2) AW IMR 18350. My hand was around the bezel.

I just ran my LMH Nichia 219 in a bored C2 Host from Oveready on high with 2 x AW 18350. My hand was around the bezel and ambient temperature was 20°C. It ran for 15 minutes 8 seconds until it switched to low. I measured the capacity of the batteries (which have quite a few cycles on them) with my ZTS and they were at 10%. Voltage of both was exactely 3,52. The host got very hot and after 3 or so minutes I had to change the host from hand to hand every 20 seconds or so because it got to hot to hold otherwise.

I'm happy that it can be run on high in a 2 x 18350 host for the full runtime. Maybe the C2 is better than the MegaFive Bezel and the Cryos cooling head??? This seems impossible, anybody offer an explanation? Is the H3N different from my H3N Nichia 219?

EDIT: I measured the amps at the tailcap with fully charged batteries at 2,7 Amps.

fototcy.jpg

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ran my LMH Nichia 219 in a bored C2 Host from Oveready on high with 2 x AW 18350. My hand was around the bezel and ambient temperature was 20°C. It ran for 15 minutes 8 seconds until it switched to low. I measured the capacity of the batteries (which have quite a few cycles on them) with my ZTS and they were at 10%. Voltage of both was exactely 3,52. The host got very hot and after 3 or so minutes I had to change the host from hand to hand every 20 seconds or so because it got to hot to hold otherwise.

I'm happy that it can be run on high in a 2 x 18350 host for the full runtime. Maybe the C2 is better than the MegaFive Bezel and the Cryos cooling head??? This seems impossible, anybody offer an explanation? Is the H3N different from my H3N Nichia 219?

EDIT: I measured the amps at the tailcap with fully charged batteries at 2,7 Amps.

fototcy.jpg

I think one big difference between our testing was that I used one hand on the bezel during that portion of my test while you rotated the light between your hands. When you transfer the light between your hands, you introduced a new heatsink in which heat can transfer.

Another thing is that the z44 is nice and smooth, your hand would make more surface contact with the this bezel than a beefy or cryos bezel. If I hold the beefy bezel in my hand, I would make contact with mostly the outer edges of the fins (less % of contact between my hand and the bezel surface area).

---I just pulled out my 6p with a cryos bezel and tested it while rotating hands. The batteries (2x AW IMR 18350) were not full as I have been using it. I got around 12 minutes when rotating the light between my hands. I checked the voltage and both the batteries were at 3.44 and 3.43. It seems that the "Maxbleg" technique does work if you're going for max runtime in a smaller 6p type host.

I did not rotate the lights between my hands in my original round of testing since I usually don't rotate the lights in my hand during actual usage.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I think one big difference between our testing was that I used one hand on the bezel during that portion of my test while you rotated the light between your hands. When you transfer the light between your hands, you introduced a new heatsink in which heat can transfer.......

This makes sense, thanks for your answer. I don't usually rotate lights between hands either, but because of the heat I had to because I couldn't hold the light in either hand for very long. (maybe as you suggested the smooth z44 has more contact with the hand and therefore it feels hotter.) Anyway it's nice to know that I could run it on high until the batteries are empty with this technique even though I mostly use low and medium anyway.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
This makes sense, thanks for your answer. I don't usually rotate lights between hands either, but because of the heat I had to because I couldn't hold the light in either hand for very long. (maybe as you suggested the smooth z44 has more contact with the hand and therefore it feels hotter.) Anyway it's nice to know that I could run it on high until the batteries are empty with this technique even though I mostly use low and medium anyway.

I also use low and medium most of the time. I'm glad you posted the technique to obtain max runtime on high with a 6p/c2 host. It may be useful one day when I need max output.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
...........technique to obtain max runtime on high with a 6p/c2 host........

Yeah, accidental discovery due to pain receptors in my hand! Thanks for posting the results with the Cryos bezel after rotating it between your hands!

What I'd like now is discharge curves with 2 x 18350 and 1 x 18650: anybody?

Nite

Enlightened
I just ordered another Triple 219 H
I have read they pull a whopping 4.5 amps!?

I want to keep myself and my customers safe.

does this mean they pull 2.25 amps per cell on two cells?
If that is right, How much amperage does it pull from one cell if running one cell?

I am asking because I would like to run two Protected LiCO 18500 cell in a 9P which if pulling 2.25 amps from each 1500mah cell, that should be below the 2C of 3amps on AW 18500p.

So can I run it on a single LiCo 18500, (I think not) only IMR 18500 if running a single cell I think.

Only 18650 can be LiCo, I think.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want to keep myself and my customers safe.

does this mean they pull 2.25 amps per cell on two cells?
If that is right, How much amperage does it pull from one cell if running one cell?

I am asking because I would like to run two Protected LiCO 18500 cell in a 9P which if pulling 2.25 amps from each 1500mah cell, that should be below the 2C of 3amps on AW 18500p.

So can I run it on a single LiCo 18500, (I think not) only IMR 18500 if running a single cell I think.

Only 18650 can be LiCo, I think.

Running on one cell only, the maximum output is reduced, and the light is not in full regulation. So, this reduces the demand on the single battery to some extent, and allows the output to taper down as the battery is gradually depleting. I believe that the light does not pull over 3 amps on a single battery.

It has been my experience that the light will run on a pair of LiCo 18500 or 18650 just fine, and in the situation of one battery, it will run on one LiCo 18500.
However, 18500 is the smallest LiCo cell recommended, and any smaller cells than that should be IMR type. And you can choose IMR 18500 or IMR 18650 also, if you prefer. The smallest capacity IMR recommended is the 18350. No 16340 of any kind is recommended.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Our "H" triples actually deliver a total of 4.65A total to the 3 LEDs when run from 2 cells.
Without getting too technical, they will not demand more than 3A per cell in any configuration.

twl summarizes very well below:

Running on one cell only, the maximum output is reduced, and the light is not in full regulation. So, this reduces the demand on the single battery to some extent, and allows the output to taper down as the battery is gradually depleting. I believe that the light does not pull over 3 amps on a single battery.

It has been my experience that the light will run on a pair of LiCo 18500 or 18650 just fine, and in the situation of one battery, it will run on one LiCo 18500.
However, 18500 is the smallest LiCo cell recommended, and any smaller cells than that should be IMR type. And you can choose IMR 18500 or IMR 18650 also, if you prefer. The smallest capacity IMR recommended is the 18350. No 16340 of any kind is recommended.

Very well said.

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

Last edited:

bRIBEGuy

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple V4's on the desk waiting for a few more build parts, and I was wondering how hard it is to remove the optics on these drop-ins? Are they glued in place? Is removing/swapping them even feasible?

I figured I should ask before I took a crack at it. The drop-ins are certainly too nice to accidentally damage.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drop-ins are built for a lifetime of worry free operation.
The optics are permanently glued in place.
We do not recommend attempting to remove them.

Paulinski

Newly Enlightened
Any ETA for the 1 600 lumen LMH triples?

Sent by the faceless man ''Valar Morghulis''

Latest posts