Toyota Prius Pre and Post purchase questions.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadget_lover said:
I brought the EPA figures up simply because one needs a common measuring stick. If you want to go with best milage based on memory, I have several pictures of my trip meter showing in excess of 70 MPG over a 15 minute period on a busy LA area freeway. I have a 100 mile stretch going into arizona that used just over a gallon.

I am not basing my personal mileage figures on my Corolla or my motorcycle from "memory," or a "best case scenario" snapshot of a momentary value calculated by a trip computer, since neither my car nor motorcycle have such. The figures I mention are based upon my calculations at each full tank fill up. Gallons used into miles traveled. It doesn't get any more real-world than that. It averages everything out, the way it should be. Maybe if my motorcycle had a mpg computer, I could cruise in sixth gear at a steady 55 mph ... going down a slight grade ... behind a semi ... with a tailwind ... and the computer might show me 100 mpg for that spell, who knows? Is it meaningful? Hell no. Because when I head up the other side of the hill and have to downshift, and the wind changes direction, and the semi takes the next exit, the mileage will crash. Averages are the only meaningful value when it comes to mpg and emissions. On the other hand, to the average person who has no clue how their driving style affects their fuel consumption, I think having a real-time electronic mpg computer onboard every car would open a lot of eyes when they see how much their mpg plummets every time they drag race from light to light.

As an aside, I have another comment on how solo driver hybrid use in carpool lanes might lead to further congestion. This isn't their fault, since they are only doing what the law allows them to. But, if I were a traffic cop ... I wouldn't even bother to enforce the carpool lane anymore. How could I? In the good old days, he could hide on the side and wait to see a car passing him doing 70+ mph in the carpool lane, but with only one occupant. Fast forward to the days of allowing hybrids into the carpool lane. Oops, sorry, not any or all hybrids, but only certain makes and types. Oops, uh-oh, not just certain makes, but only those with a special small sticker on their bumper within that make. So now I am a cop, waiting along the side, and I see a car whiz by with no passenger. Better hit the lights and siren. Oops, hold on now, is it a Prius or an eligible Honda? Does it have an "Access OK" sticker? Nope, no sticker. OK, he's toast! Wait, maybe there's just two weeks worth of wet weather, rear wheel road gorp built up on his rear fender, obscuring the sticker. Hard to say, since he's already 200 feet down the road by now. Ah, hell, it's clearly a Prius, who cares if it has a sticker? I'm not going to chase him down, just to see if he has a tiny sticker on his bumper.

Point is, by allowing an additional certain type of car into the carpool lane, other than a multi-occupant car, I have to surmise it has made carpool lane enforcement very impractical, if not virtually impossible. If I had any cop friends, I can just imagine they would laugh at the mention of "carpool lane enforcement" anymore. And with little or no visible enforcement anymore, we've just opened the floodgates to carpool lane cheaters of all types, hybrid or otherwise.

I guess it is clear that I am kind of opinionated on this topic, but I realize that I have somewhat hijacked this thread with my rants, and possibly discouraged others to enter discussion on the original topic, so I won't add a whole lot more from here out unless it perpetuates the thread topic. My apologies if I irked.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Bringing it back on Topic....

Features or options you should get:

I wish I had the HID headlights which were not avaialable when I bought mine in 2002.

I bought a model without the built in GPS (AKA Nav system). I already had a very good model that does auto routing with voice prompts. While it would be nice to have one integrated with the car, the new aftermarket models are reallly good and readily replaced when they get outdated. Last I heard, the Nav system has an interlock so you can't change the settinsg while driving. If that's still true, I'd be tempted go with a Garmin where that's an option that can be turned off.

The side air bags are a good option, well worth the cost if they are ever needed.

The keyless ignition is cool, and I've heard of very few problems with them, so I'd get that option too.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
To recap, my main interestes in this car are....

Fuel economy for a mid seze sedan.

Its TOYOTA

I get a 5 grand plus the tax credit off of the price of 22 grand. Not bad for a mid size sedan.

Ive looked at the options and am looking at ption 2 or nothing. Option 2 has the keyless entry, stability control, back up camera and radio/cd system. The package 4 models are nearly 30 grand. I am happy with just ac, automatic tranny.

It looks smaller than you would think and I can see where the reverse camera can come in handle with the bullet shape of the back. I have yet to drive one, getting aper work tomorrow to fill out and put down a deposit. Taking delivery on 24th. I am just between two colors slate blue or silver and nothing or package 2. I think from what the rep tells me indirectly is that the slate blue is an unpopular color. She seems less motivate since another co worker of mines who works at the same place spilled the beans on the incentive to buy a hybrid.

Dont worry, I will give a ful lreview and fuel economy figures. Seems taking a second to accelerate and or decelerate works best in the past few cars I have own for top fuel economy.

FYI, which is greener, driving through stop and go traffic to get from point a to b or taking the interstate through the long way to avoid stop and go traffic and get the upper end of the fuel economy?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Because of the losses involved in starting and stopping, the longer stretch with steady speeds MAY be more efficient. It depends on how much further the freeway route takes you and how many stops are involved.

Daniel

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are roughly the same distance and when i had my van, I got like 9mpg on the streets with 11 stop lights to go through, 17 mpg taking the interstate with only 3 stop lights. Just thought I would toss that out there to the wolves.

Man, no word back from the rep I was dealing with from toyota. I still get calls and voice mails from the kia guy. Makes me wonder who wants my business and if I should just show up there tomorrow to buy the car and let the first person who servces me get the comission.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
No word from the Toyota guy? Did he promise to call about something?

I've had car salesmen call me for weeks after doing a test drive. It all depends on how much idle time they have and how eager they are to make a sale. It has nothing to do with anything else.

If it is roughly the same distance on the freeway, that will be the most effective route. It takes less energy to maintain speed than it does to increase speed. You have to go from 0 to 40 11 times on teh streets VS 0 to 65 a couple times on the freeway.

Daniel

peekay331

Newly Enlightened
Turbo DV8 said:
On one hand, a government bureaucracy establishes itself to monitor an industry's emissions, and fine it if they exceed limits. Yet, on the other hand, the bureaucracy will sell that same industry clean air "credits," basically a license to pollute. "We're here for your own good, to make sure you don't pollute ... but if you pay us enough, we could be persuaded to look the other way." Two-faced, money-based, political hypocrisy, and not too many people seem to know or care that it goes hand-in-hand with being Green these days. That is what I mean when I coin the phrase "The Green Game."

But I still want a Prius ...

you've posted so many absurd statements, i don't know where to start. but i'll pick one. emissions trading, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissions_trading

educate yourself before ranting on a topic. it'll make the discussion a lot more meaningful.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The engine in my benz started rattling last Friday and that weekend. Its terminal and guessing the rods are gone. Long story short, I drive a scion xa with manual tranny.

I played tag with the sales person and went to the dealer to look, but turns out they were closed. Met someone who just bought a prius and didnt like it all. Cant say I wasnt that impressed.Looks like it uses the same 1.5l engine as the other small cars, so the idea of it running out of steam seems to be bunk if the engine alone can move the other cars they sell. Seems to be about as roomie as the xa inside, except the trunk has a bit more space and you sit lower.

I think toyoa is on the right path and if they could pu this tecnhology into an econo box or luxuary sedan to give unrelastic fuel economy, they would really have something there. Seems too much tecnology for such a small car and the price tag attached.

The bottom line was the fact the sticker was 25 grand. At 48 months under the finance deal, that came to a lot more a month that I wanted to spend. Even the scion ran about 3 grand for finance charge, extended warranty and all the tax, fees, etc.

I dont like a few things about. I hate about the scion is the gas petal is too easy to press. I put a tennis ball under it to make it harder and try to keep it under 3 grand. The rear view mirror makes a great blind spot and the heat needs to be on inside air or the interior will never warm up.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Cobb, I'm disappointed. If I understand correctly you never even drove a Prius, new, used, borrowed or rented? And you bought on impulse without shopping around???

On the other hand, I hope you grow to love your Scion as much as I do my Prius.

Daniel

Darell

Flashaholic
cobb said:
What, Darrell is speechless I guess?
I try not to talk too much about gasoline cars! Sure I own one, but I don't drive it much. ;)

That said - the Prius is the best vehicle you can purchase today, IMO. I have lots more to add (duh) but not tonight, after enjoying the evening with Irish friends. Oh no... can't trust myself!

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadget, I never drove either car. I sat in both before hand. Spoke to the owner and looked around at everything but under the hood. The ower was a former scion owner and did a good job at selling me. Checking all the window stickers didnt help none either.

I just think if they used the hybrid system in a larger vehicle that could haul or get a higher price to cover a larger battery, they could easily squeeze more mpg out of it and making a catch 22 where a luxuary vehicle that would demand a premium price anyways, could as it would get 300mpg. Just my summary. I checked at the honda dealer and theyr hybrid was 25 grand and some change. Out of my comfortable reach.

After looking over the lot, nothing could touch the 14 grand of the scion xa for a 5 door hatch back for a new car. THe yaris hatch back was close, but it was 3 doors and was rather small inside.

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, I read the thread, and I'll do the decidedly un-Darell thing and stay out of it. I just don't have the stamina or energy to debate some of the falsehoods posted here. Yikes.

Plus, I typically don't spend all that much time defending gasoline cars, though I honestly do find the Prius to be the best gasoline car available today - for many reasons that some others likely won't care about.

FWIW, (and though I own two vehicles that qualify) I don't think single-occupant drivers should be in the HOV lane. And that includes motorcycles.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the hov lanes and I think the package trucks should not be allowed in them unless they are carrying 12 passengers that are human.

I am not giving up on the prius, but I am the 07 model. I will see how the scion goes and the 08 and other hybrid vehicles. If my finances go well, I should have this car paid for in 6 months or less, a pretty decent trade in value for a car drive 20 miles a day in 6 months.

Like mentioned earlier, the plug in one is one I would like to aim for or maybe the suv hybrid.