• Tradition

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Progress

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I suppose if "very old" was something your grandparents or great grandparents did, then I'd say it's Tradition. If no one in your family lineage ever has done it, then I'd say it's Progress.

Hmmmmm don't think my great grandparents did something like this.... the kind of ceremony we had was a little older than that... Curious about what we did yet?

Well, we had a handfasting, the way it was done before the christian church was introduced in europe.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Hmmmmm don't think my great grandparents did something like this.... the kind of ceremony we had was a little older than that... Curious about what we did yet?

Well, we had a handfasting, the way it was done before the christian church was introduced in europe.

Wow, looks interesting.. Honest, I'd never heard of that before just looking it up a few moments ago..

If no one in your family has done such a thing, I'd suppose then it'd be regarded as Progress, despite the thick historical aspect of the practice itself.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I view my traditions as progress because they are at a higher standard than most ppl hold themselves to

That may indeed be true. I hope then that if you voted, it was for Tradition. Standards of personal behavior dictated by past family ideas and expectations would be tradition, regardless if they are higher or lower than what other people hold themselves to.

some traditional customs are colorful or interesting, and I see nothing wrong with preserving them for their educational and entertainment value. But they shouldn't be used in everyday life if they represent an obsolete way of doing things.

This is very true.. This is why the aspect of marriage is interesting in the light of tradition or progress; there is no such thing as "up to date" or "obsolete." Which is why I've posed this poll. Tradition or Progress can be used to determine our actions (in marriage and other family issues), and I'm curious to see how many of us go one way or the other.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mother is generally a very clingy/smothering/overbearing person, and it would kill me to see my own children go through the same thing.

My father is strongly affected by his family history of alcoholism, is prone to aggression, loss of temper and is a very unhappy person; so I have no intention of passing on that "tradition".

This is why I chose progress. It makes sense to keep evolving and make progress at my own pace. I'll make my own decisions and opinions unaffected by family politics. There's nothing worse than someone breathing down your neck because you're not conforming to a certain standard: especially when it's a member of your own family.