Traditional headlamps vs LED cr123 light lamps?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it works for you. So far, I've been disappointed with most things "automatic" and am gun shy to try more if a good manual alternative exists (no offense to the NAO - I have no experience). My last car purchase, I paid extra to get manual stick shift/AC/wipers/rear view dimmers/etc. and love it vs my wife's fully auto everything car. I don't even like like electronic switch flashlights - again, I'm just niche player :).

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, I've been disappointed with most things "automatic" and am gun shy to try more if a good manual alternative exists (no offense to the NAO - I have no experience). My last car purchase, I paid extra to get manual stick shift/AC/wipers/rear view dimmers/etc. and love it vs my wife's fully auto everything car. I don't even like like electronic switch flashlights - again, I'm just niche player :).

I bet you didn't pay extra for a carburetor (Phew, had to use spellcheck on that!) over automatic fuel-injection. The key to automating a thing well is to measure the right things to let your system react, and then planning reactions well. For some people and situations, you'll need to keep the manual-selected options, too.

I use a Zebralight headlamp, and sometimes pair it with a cheapy 3xAAA Rayovac Indestructible headlamp. The Zebralight is suited well for working, and the Rayovac for walking around. Its overbasic UI really removes the options that I like in lighting...

But the ZL can run cells flat in an hour, leaving me in the moonlight 'dead-cell' modes. The Rayovac will get gradually dimmer over the course of about a dozen hours, at which point it IS dim... But still enough to walk in the dark by with its floody beam. I used the ZL most extensively recently to put more cellulose up in the attic, and to check on frozen pipes in the winter storm. It was great for things I am touching.

I live out in the kind of almost-nowhere where WalMart is about ten minutes away, and you can go outside on a moonless night and see your cat... And a neighbor's garage light half a mile away casts shadows. I wonder what a Petzl Nao would make of this?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm torn on FI... sure the performance is great but the only three times (twice on motorcycles) I ever required rescue from a tow truck were due to bad fuel pumps. I consider spellcheck a manual function and I like it. Auto correct/capitalization is "auto" and frustrating for me. I consider a ZL manual light but just prefer the reliability (or at least field repairability/by-passability) of mechanical clickies. Instead of dimming from the get-go (unregulated light) my regulated light keeps stepping down sequential to the next lower mode, so warning is not much different really. Li-ions would seem to behave the same in both reg and unreg lights - strong output and then suddenly off. One of the reasons I'm a fan of AA/14500 lights - with piece of tinfoil, I can just grab a AA/AAA/9V/CR123-18650 from where ever, and power my light (I EDC a few other AA Eneloop gadgets). :)

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
rojos - thank you for your reply to my question and for outlining what has happened to headlight capabilities over the last few years.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
carrot - - - I wonder, by any chance, if you've had a chance to use your NAO while on a bicycle ?

I'm looking to upgrade my headlamp from the 80 lumen Tikka XP2 ones I bought a few years ago. I'm a new 'flashaholic' and am now used to spending a lot more on a flashlight than 'normal' people :p But the $175 priced NAO is a bit of sticker shock compared to my old headlights. I had always considered the high end/high priced headlights as being for those with intense specialized requirements such as technical mountaineering. If the NAO could also do a good job when on a mountain bike (peddle type), it would cover both hiking and cycling for me and better justify the costs. (No need to buy an upgrade of my bike light which is some very dim C battery powered thing I got years ago.) The old Tikka XP2 headlights really don't cut it for on a bike, at least for me. - - - Please pardon the long post, but with your hands on NAO experience I thought I'd ask about this on this active thread. And if you haven't used the NAO on a bicycle maybe others have and can comment. Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

dml24

Newly Enlightened
There are many very good LED headlamps out. Petzl and Black Diamond have been making good lights for years. Most run AAA or AA batteries.

Fenix has offered several very good headlamps that use C123s or AAs.

I would go with AA lights since all but one of my flashlights use AAs, (TK15 uses a single 18650). For me that makes keeping LiON batteries for emergencies, 10 year shelf life, and rechargeables AAs until the power goes out.

If you are used to stocking 123s then keep using them. In bulk one can get a good price. The shelf life is excellent.
There are times having ones hands free is needed.

carrot

Flashaholic
carrot - - - I wonder, by any chance, if you've had a chance to use your NAO while on a bicycle ?

I haven't yet. I have a Cygolite so I haven't bothered putting the NAO on my helmet for cycling.

The NAO instruction manual warns against using the NAO in places with oncoming traffic since external lighting will cause the NAO to dim itself.

You are able, however, to create a profile that doesn't auto dim to the bottom level, so perhaps that's a viable solution.