Traveling Overseas with Flashlights: Advice Needed on Airplane Security and Best Choices for Travel Lights

whelmFlash

Newly Enlightened
You should have no issues traveling with a flashlight as long as it's in your checked luggage. Batteries should be separated and protected against short circuits. TSA generally allows flashlights in carry-on as well, but it's always good to double-check with the airline.

TPA

Enlightened
The only time I've ever had an issue with flashlights / batteries was departing Panama City / Tocumen. No problem with the initial security checks. At the gate they performed additional screenings and one of the local guards took great offense at the 20+ NiMH AA batteries I had in a pouch. Fortunately, the purser for the flight was nearby and noticed this and intervened. My eneloops were good to go.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only time I've ever had an issue with flashlights / batteries was departing Panama City / Tocumen. No problem with the initial security checks. At the gate they performed additional screenings and one of the local guards took great offense at the 20+ NiMH AA batteries I had in a pouch. Fortunately, the purser for the flight was nearby and noticed this and intervened. My eneloops were good to go.
Any idea what the heartburn was all about?

TPA

Enlightened
The secondary security check was to comply with TSA/DOT regs. The confusion was over loose cells. The security guard was treating them as if they were loose lithium cells. He wasn't taking it from me, even though I showed him the DOT regs in English and Spanish. The Delta purser was able to convince him that the airline didn't have a problem with it.