Traveling Overseas with Flashlights: Advice Needed on Airplane Security and Best Choices for Travel Lights

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
I will be traveling overseas on vacation in a few days and need your input. Will I have any problems traveling with a flashlight on the plane or going through security? I ask this because I wonder if I should take my trusty Malkoff or one of my cheaper Olight or Acebeam pen lights. What do you carry when you travel?

Thank you,
Sarkis

DRW

Enlightened
The airline will have a policy posted on their website regarding what you can't bring on the plane.

Definitely travel with cheaper lights unless the success of the trip will be measured by what lights you use

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just recently came from a trip to Europe/Turkey. At USA airport was able to walk thru a metal detector with keys on my neck, (totally forgot I had them on) without it being detected, even thou i emptied my pockets, took belt and shoes off. TSa will most likely not give you any issues, but At Istanbul airport for a transfer flight I was checked 3 times, patted down, and my carry on bag was meticulously inspected, on the way to USA, they even made me take my i pad out of its case and wiped it with a explosives' detecting agent. however when I was flying into Europe at the same Istanbul airport I was not checked at all, not once.
My advice keep it in a checked in luggage, for presents I was bringing a condor machete, several multitools, ZL53, and noktgon D18, with batteries installed, as well as almost 100 of alkaline cells in packages. No issues whatsoever.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just some general ideas:
1) Don't take your best lights. Even if legal to travel with, you don't want to lose an expensive or favorite one to a corrupt Airline security official.

2) Stick to lights with a AA or AAA form factor.

3) If you use rechargeables, be aware that other nations use different types of outlets. Likely not compatible with the type of wall-plug you use at home with your charging cables.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take say a newly purchased AA MiniMaglite with some Energizer or Duracell batteries. You could sell them off for a profit before you leave. Exotic foreign goods fetch high prices in 3rd world countries. Maybe like Africa or Pakistan. If anything gets lost you aren't out much either.

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
DRW- this is a good idea; I didn't think to check their policies and will more than likely take a cheaper light

Alpg88 – That's a great idea, I will take a medium size light in my check-in bag one of my many convoys will do. Speaking of Condor, I recently heard about Ontario Knife being bought out. I rushed to get a couple of knives from amazon with good discounts, although I do not know what their warranty service will be like now.

Letschat7- just recently, I had one of my led mini mags start flickering and turn off randomly even on fresh batteries, slowly slowing trust in those minis. I was reading Maglite's fetch a great price in England – where I am going

Kitrobaskin – I have accumulated tons of sofrins and convoys, which I will take as they are cheap to replace from Aliexpres

Ima sol man – I will be going on vacation, traveling through the countryside of England and exploring some of the castle ruins

Monocrom – Very true, I will stick something small. Now that you mention it. I don't know if I have a lot of AAA lights – I will see if Malkoff has anything in that category

Thank you, everyone, for your help! I will take a medium size convoy with me in the check-in bag and a small AA light with a spare battery

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sarkis,
I would only take items with which You may get stolen, or compromised by foreign security personal.
It would be best to avoid any lithium powered products travelling abroad.
I usually am against alkaline batteries, but support not bringing other technologies through
foreign airport securities. Primary Lithium batteries , NiMh's, or any rechargeables may stirrup
concerns with foreign airport securities.

sandalian

Enlightened
My preference flashlight for trip overseas are flashlight with AA or 16340 batteries. I keep 'em small so I can put them inside my pocket and they tend to look "friendly".

And I agree with others advice not to carry your most valuable flashlights.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just some general ideas:
1) Don't take your best lights. Even if legal to travel with, you don't want to lose an expensive or favorite one to a corrupt Airline security official.

2) Stick to lights with a AA or AAA form factor.

3) If you use rechargeables, be aware that other nations use different types of outlets. Likely not compatible with the type of wall-plug you use at home with your charging cables.
If recharging is a necessity, be sure to bring a charger that has a USB-A plug input cable. Most Hotels have USB-A charging plugs/ports available for You to use. Many of the charging wall warts sold/used have a wide range of input, mostly 90V-230V input ranges. There are cheap travel adapters available to accommodate a US styled 120V plug, that are capable of connecting to the higher 220V, but it is important, to be sure it's rated for a 50Hz power input supply. Well wishes on your trip.
GL

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
I think I decided on taking my wurkkos ts10. I want something small and light but didn't want to take my 1 cr123 Malloff or the elzetta alpha. The ts10 has the ultimate fidget factor for me. And it's only $30 if I need to replace. I'll pack a spare 14500.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I've travelled extensively with my Streamlight 1L-1AA, both domestic and international. I keep it (and everything else in my pockets) in my bag while going through security and have never had an issue. I did have one TSA Agent open my bag and ask about it, but then he said he carried the same one and I was on my way. I keep it loaded with an AA battery as I can source them just about every where I might go. Have a grat trip!