Traveling Overseas with Flashlights: Advice Needed on Airplane Security and Best Choices for Travel Lights

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium rechargeable batteries are not permitted in checked luggage. Keep them in carry on luggage if you have to have them. Personally, I bring lights that are AA and AAA form factor only while traveling by plane.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned previously, AA format flashlights are the way to go for battery availability. This setup (Lumintop Tool 2.0 & Eagletac D3A) has served me well when travelling on foreign and domestic vacations.
IMG_4097.jpg

Last edited:

tango44

Enlightened
Never had a problem going around the world since 1997 with a "normal" flashlight when I say normal is a flashlight that does not have an exaggerated crenelated bezel like a surefire defender series an others...
mine did not make it thru Dubai security...

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to post with great examples and photos. Now I need to limit myself from taking too many with me. Since I have so many, I find myself packing three lights to make sure I get some solid use out of them (it's becoming an illness haha). I might need to consolidate the collection.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I will be traveling overseas on vacation in a few days and need your input. Will I have any problems traveling with a flashlight on the plane or going through security?
I've always taken as many lights as I wanted to and never had any concern showed except for a few times when I had small boxes and bags filled with many various lights. Even then though, they never asked about them or tried to give me any grief over them.

Most of the time now I'll only have half a dozen at the most, which I'll drop into my carry on so that they don't have to sift through too much stuff from my pockets.

P.S. I've taken literally thousands of dollars worth of lights with me and never lost a single one. Lunasol 20, Bronze HDS Rotary, original Tri-V, Spy 007, not a problem. Be as wary as you want, or ignore the paranoia, but have a great trip whatever you decide!

TPA

Enlightened
For the love of all that is holy, PLEASE pack all devices which use lithium batteries and lithium batteries in your carry-on. There are some things which can be done about an lithium battery fire in the cabin, depending on how the individual airline has chosen to equip the aircraft. There's nothing they can do about a cargo hold fire.

Sarkis

Newly Enlightened
I'll be adding this the neck light as well to the list of lights I'll be taking. If I had this conversation with the wife she would think me weirdest person on the planet haha
CF08D606-F776-4EFD-AB2E-6D5D8C80BACC.jpeg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
They may not let you on the plane with that chain, it could easily be used to strangle someone, thou TSA may miss it even with a metal detector, but in Istanbul ap. a guy in front of me was not allowed to bring a bead chain, that cops in USA often use when wearing badges on their necks. they told him to leave it or he is not getting on the plane.

I would not bring anything on the plane that is not absolutely necessary to board a plane, just passport , phone, and wallet, I hear people worry about stuff getting stolen, but i haven't had anything stolen, nor anyone i know, those who steal do not go for flashlights, knives, batteries.....etc, they go for valuable stuff, like watches, jeweler, cash (yes some try to bring cash in the luggage), i do not think you need to worry about flashlights,
I would recommend putting the airtag or the tile in your luggage, they lose it more often that steal from it, at least you can track it. Some people found their lost luggage like that.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would not bring anything on the plane that is not absolutely necessary to board a plane, just passport , phone, and wallet, I hear people worry about stuff getting stolen, but i haven't had anything stolen, nor anyone i know, those who steal do not go for flashlights, knives, batteries.....etc, they go for valuable stuff, like watches, jeweler, cash (yes some try to bring cash in the luggage), i do not think you need to worry about flashlights,
I would recommend putting the airtag or the tile in your luggage, they lose it more often that steal from it, at least you can track it. Some people found their lost luggage like that.
Would depend on what part of the world you're traveling to, and thus where you'd be leaving from. Some Airport Security personnel, even those not from 3rd World nations, are poorly paid. They have no problem "confiscating" anything of value. Either to re-sell or keep to use on the job. That includes flashlights.

duckear

Newly Enlightened
Never had any issues with flashlights traveling around the world. And nothing I've ever really given any worry to. Usually just a AA Zebralight and or a AA Fenix. Also have always traveled with Eneloops in them, an extra battery in my carryon and a nifty Olight single cell usb charger.

Unless going on some sort of expedition, few folks are running around foreign countries at night, so most lights are used at the hotel to find the bathroom, so not sure why you would want to lug much more than one or at most two around the world.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some countries have little to no street lights, poor roads/paths, or lack of them are common, some paths are outright dangerous at night. falling, tripping hazards, so nothing unusual about bringing lights.

Reactions: TPA

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When packing for a vacation I had the clothing/toiletries down to a science from working out of town. But which lights to take? I'd start planning that a week in advance.

I never went anywhere that needed an airplane to get me there but if I did I'd probably take along a couple of personal carry light that easily fit into pockets with alkaline cells and pack a few larger lights in the luggage. Maglite minimag aaa fits in a shirt pocket like an inkpen, a couple of solitaires in the trouser pocket for example. The SureFire's, Elzetta's etc in my luggage with extra batteries.

If carrying a charger make sure it's compatible with local voltage(s) if travelling over seas.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some countries have little to no street lights, poor roads/paths, or lack of them are common, some paths are outright dangerous at night. falling, tripping hazards, so nothing unusual about bringing lights.
Very true. Venice is amazing at night, but don't try navigating the alley ways at night without a flashlight.