Tried to polish away small scratches on my Tri-V2...help

one2tim

Enlightened
Hi.
I've tried to polish away the tiny scratches on my tri-v2 to get the light perfect and 1 side went good but the other side ended up becoming more blank (mirror effect) then the standard machine finish. The machine marks still shows but the surface is just more mirror like. This have resulted in extremely tiny scratches shows just from handling the light with my worker hands. Im a complete perfectionist when it comes to such things and honestly dont know what to do. Is there a way to restore it to the machine finish? its only the large flat surface on the light.

Heres some pictures...its really hard to capture it on camera though.
2nd and last picture is the little more blank side.

dsc0776vt.jpg

dsc0774cx.jpg

dsc0773u.jpg

dsc0772hq.jpg

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you used a polish that is very abrasive, and it's taken off the machining marks from over polishing. I don't think there is a way to restore the machined finish, it's like sanding, once you start smoothing things out you can only go in one direction (smoother) or leave it as is.

I polish my Tri-V every now and then using Flitz Metal polish, Zephyr Pro 40 Polish, or sometimes Adam's Metal Polish #1 and #2

one2tim

Enlightened
Sounds like you used a polish that is very abrasive, and it's taken off the machining marks from over polishing. I don't think there is a way to restore the machined finish, it's like sanding, once you start smoothing things out you can only go in one direction (smoother) or leave it as is.

I polish my Tri-V every now and then using Flitz Metal polish, Zephyr Pro 40 Polish, or sometimes Adam's Metal Polish #1 and #2

You missed the point in my text where i write the machine marks is still there.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you polish the machining 'marks' out there is no easy way to reintroduce these marks that give the brushed metal effect. There are techniques to replicate but require patience and a variety of different grit abrasives and need to follow the original direction. Quite often metal on stainless steel watch bracelets look 'worn' as during wear the brushed metal starts to shine after continuous use.

nbp

Flashaholic
Can you re-create texture using something like very fine steel wool? I like 0000 wool for Ti.